Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new alternator put in my 04 Mo last week, and now I am having an occasional starting problem both when cold or warm. The car stalls immediately after starting. Then I start it again and all is fine. This has never happened before in the 39,000 miles I have on it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I am assuming that they broke something else while replacing the alternator:mad: , but I don't know what it is. And I can't reproduce the problem, since it is such a random occurence. It has happened 3 times in 15 starts.

Thanks!
Andy
 

·
Just wanna help
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
adavid said:
I had a new alternator put in my 04 Mo last week, and now I am having an occasional starting problem both when cold or warm. The car stalls immediately after starting. Then I start it again and all is fine. This has never happened before in the 39,000 miles I have on it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I am assuming that they broke something else while replacing the alternator:mad: , but I don't know what it is. And I can't reproduce the problem, since it is such a random occurence. It has happened 3 times in 15 starts.

Thanks!
Andy
You are not alone!
This topic/issue has been discussed here: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4990

Please confirm if your issue is exactly as described.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: New Alternator, Problem Starting

SugarRushMurano said:


You are not alone!
This topic/issue has been discussed here: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4990

Please confirm if your issue is exactly as described.
The other thread points to exactly the problem that I am having. Thanks for sending me there. I used to have this problem with my '96 200SX, but usually when it was raining. My '02 Maxima has never had the problem.

I'll keep in touch with any solutions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
You know this situation right here is one example of why this site is so valuable!!!! :cool:
 

·
Just wanna help
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
Tell me about it!...

Ohio Murano said:
You know this situation right here is one example of why this site is so valuable!!!! :cool:
I just wish Nissan will have some one from their office to monitor this site. Just like the audiworld.com and roadfly.com/bmwz4 forum ;)

Also, I will bring the Mo to the dealer next week and show them this problem when starting issue.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Re: Tell me about it!...

SugarRushMurano said:


I just wish Nissan will have some one form their office ot monitor this site.
It is only wish! They do not give a d...............their sales are too good, for now. Also it would be against their culture, not to mention dealers who do not have culture....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got to the dealer, and told them that the Mo was stalling since they replaced the Alternator. I even showed them the stalling happen when I dropped it off. I mentioned that the Base Idle Relearn program needed to be run.

They said that there is no way that it had anything to do with the replacement of the Alternator, and that the Base Idle Relearn program would not fix it.

When I picked it up they told me that they ran the Base Idle Relearn program. I have had no problems since. With over 40,000 miles on the Mo, I luckily have the extended warranty, as they charged it to the extended warranty, and not a follow-up to the alternator recall. No $ out of my pocket, and a rental car for the day.

Thanks to all who let me know the fix for this problem.

Andy
 

·
Just wanna help
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
adavid said:

When I picked it up they told me that they ran the Base Idle Relearn program. I have had no problems since. ....
Thanks to all who let me know the fix for this problem.
Andy
Nissan Dealers, just like my clients, are mostly in denials on their incompetence until we throw the proofs on their face ;)

Good to know that this forum does help Andy!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
sugar

I have told my dealer about this site 5 times, they have yet to come here...at least that is what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
I haven't had my alternator done yet because I wanted to see if the replacements are causing problems.
Is the Base Idle Relearn reprogramming a necessary step in completing the successful alternator swap? Is this something we should insist on, upon getting the replacement done? Or should the service techs be smart enough to know to do this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
adavid said:
I had a new alternator put in my 04 Mo last week, and now I am having an occasional starting problem both when cold or warm. The car stalls immediately after starting. Then I start it again and all is fine. This has never happened before in the 39,000 miles I have on it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I am assuming that they broke something else while replacing the alternator:mad: , but I don't know what it is. And I can't reproduce the problem, since it is such a random occurence. It has happened 3 times in 15 starts.

Thanks!
Andy
This is exactly WHY i dont want to take mine in for the recall!!

"If it ain't broke, dont........."
 

·
Just wanna help
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
Re: Re: New Alternator, Problem Starting

Chris03HD said:
This is exactly WHY i dont want to take mine in for the recall!!
"If it ain't broke, dont........."
Wait until the alt fails when you or your significant other is driving in a snow storm. Alone, all by your (her)self with maybe a cellphone but no reception.

Or when you are in the middle of a heavy thunderstorm on the highway, and the murano alt dies even when you are trying to get to the dealer but not quite there yet. (near an exit of a very bad neighbourhood).

Or when you are on a road trip, hundreds of miles from home on a ski trip. You end up with no cars for the rest of your ski trip, ruining your entire vacation plan.

Or the alt suddenly dies when you are visiting the State National Park and nearest base camp is couple hrs away....

Many potential hairy scenarios! Is it worth it to retain that "if aint broke, dont fix it" attitude? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
recall

I have not taken mine in yet either. It is not that I don't want to get it done, because I do. I am very afraid of what they are going to screw up during replacement. So far I have heard about scratches, failure to perform Base Idle relearn program, etc... My stealer is not high on my list for service competency. I am searching for a better Nissan dealer for service. The closest one to my house is very good with sales, but horrible on service.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Re: Re: Re: New Alternator, Problem Starting

SugarRushMurano said:


Wait until the alt fails when you or your significant other is driving in a snow storm. Alone, all by your (her)self with maybe a cellphone but no reception.

Or when you are in the middle of a heavy thunderstorm on the highway, and the murano alt dies even when you are trying to get to the dealer but not quite there yet. (near an exit of a very bad neighbourhood).

Or when you are on a road trip, hundreds of miles from home on a ski trip. You end up with no cars for the rest of your ski trip, ruining your entire vacation plan.

Or the alt suddenly dies when you are visiting the State National Park and nearest base camp is couple hrs away....
Or you are giving a ride to your company Vice President with your Murano and he is counting on you not to mess things up for him...:D

Your alternator is going to go out, maybe later, but it will. It will be some time until we find out if the new alternators are any good. We certainly hope so.

I think the only real problem people have encountered with alternator replacement is the stalling problem which has a solution. You just have to convince the dealer to run the idle relearn program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
I have not taken mine in yet either. It is not that I don't want to get it done, because I do. I am very afraid of what they are going to screw up during replacement. So far I have heard about scratches, failure to perform Base Idle relearn program, etc... My stealer is not high on my list for service competency.
I'm with you PCS, I don't have the confidence in my repair techs to hope that they will get this fixed without breaking something else in return.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Re: Re: Re: New Alternator, Problem Starting

SugarRushMurano said:

Is it worth it to retain that "if aint broke, dont fix it" attitude? :rolleyes:
When i see people complain that their perfectly running MO, now has problem's AFTER the recall, and start reading more positive experiences, then yea maybe i will sing a different tune.

Until then, ill keep my reply's short an sweet. :rolleyes:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top