Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to my fellow MoFicianados...

Koz here from Long Island, NY and a proud owner of a new SL. I love this site. From what I have seen thus far while lurking, we are certainly a proud bunch and willing to lend an ear or advice when needed.

I did a great amount of research prior to picking out the MO as my "it" vehicle, and a week into the "relationship"- have nothing but great things to say about the car. My only problem is that I park it in a garage at the train station for 10 hours a day, and only live 3 miles from the station, so my quality time in the car is somewhat limited, save for weekends and upcoming vacation time.

I know that that are some loyal black owners on here, and I ask for your acceptance....As far as colors go, nothing beats a CLEAN/WAXED black car for looks. I was torn between black and merlot, but figured that I might tire of the Merlot in a few years (no disrespect to you Merlot people) and that Black just looked damm sporty/sexy.

OK here's where I hit you up for some genuine advice.

1) INTERIOR LIGHT CONTROL- I've ripped the owners manual to shreds, and have looked at every switch in the car. Is there one switch which can turn on/off the interior lights? I wan't to have you guys thinking that I am the neighborhood idiot, but for the life of me I can't find it.

2) DVD player- this was the one thing I was really itching to get, but the problem was that the current vehicle alottment in my area only had MO's with DVD and NAV, something I didn't want. For those of you with the stock DVD, is it worth it, in terms of value, performance and location? A dealer friend of mine said he would rather go aftermarket on the DVD, installing the player in an area other than in the console (under the front seat perhaps)and mouting the screen in either the roof (flip down) or in the headrests. Curious as to what the rest of you think or have done.

That's about it for now. I'm going to give 'er the first wash this weekend and am looking forward to becoming a part of this forum.

Take care,

KOZ

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Almost any car looks good in Black... the MO looks great! Look in my gallery. I almost got the midnight blue which is very nice too IMHO.

I can't answer your questions about the DVD player but regarding the interior lights. Which ones are you referring to? If you mean the cieling lights there is a switch on the light itself. If you mean the instrument lights, you control that with the dimming switch to the left of the tach... that will also control other panel, glove box, center bin storeage light etc as well.

Enjoy you 06.. I love the new instrument cluster on the 06.

Welcome!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonzo said:
Almost any car looks good in Black... the MO looks great! Look in my gallery. I almost got the midnight blue which is very nice too IMHO.

I can't answer your questions about the DVD player but regarding the interior lights. Which ones are you referring to? If you mean the cieling lights there is a switch on the light itself. If you mean the instrument lights, you control that with the dimming switch to the left of the tach... that will also control other panel, glove box, center bin storeage light etc as well.

Enjoy you 06.. I love the new instrument cluster on the 06.

Welcome!
Hi Gonzo thanks for the warm welcome. Great images by the way.

What I am referring to is a "master" switch which will turn on all interior lights simultaneously- not instrument lights, I've found that switch.

In my old pontiac, there was a switch which allowed you to bring the brightness of the dash lighting from dim to bright, and if you went a click more to the right it actually brought up all interior lights at once.

I've seen the manual switches, but was wondering if there was a way to override them from the drivers seat, and turn on the lights from one switch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow this is pretty weak- 37 views and only 2 responses, one of which was mine. I thought that people actually offered meaningful opinions on this site instead of just lurking....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Koz, no master switch that I can think of. I just either crack-open the door a bit (not while moving) or just turn on the interior light as needed (manually.)

DVD: I have the DVD player and I like it. It's mounted a bit low and I thought I would have preferred having screens mounted in the headrests. But I didn't like "advertising" that I had a DVD player in the car and have someone break in, so I never did go to the headrest mounted screens. One unforeseen benefit of the console placement of the screen is that it's almost never obscurred by sun glare. My mom was delighted to ride in back and watch her videos - never having to deal with glare and being able to lay down in the back seat and still watch her video.

The DVD player itself takes-up a sizeabale chunk of the cavernous center console. I would have preferred an alternate placement, but I don't konw where that would have been and still have made it handy to access.

If I didn't get the DVD system in my MO, I would have gone with an aftermarket system from www.avelectronic.com I just ordered their back-up camera and TV Tuner box so I can watch TV and DVD movies on both the DVD players screen as well as the Navigations screen (when stopped), and also have the back-up camera.

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rtking said:
Koz, no master switch that I can think of. I just either crack-open the door a bit (not while moving) or just turn on the interior light as needed (manually.)

DVD: I have the DVD player and I like it. It's mounted a bit low and I thought I would have preferred having screens mounted in the headrests. But I didn't like "advertising" that I had a DVD player in the car and have someone break in, so I never did go to the headrest mounted screens. One unforeseen benefit of the console placement of the screen is that it's almost never obscurred by sun glare. My mom was delighted to ride in back and watch her videos - never having to deal with glare and being able to lay down in the back seat and still watch her video.

The DVD player itself takes-up a sizeabale chunk of the cavernous center console. I would have preferred an alternate placement, but I don't konw where that would have been and still have made it handy to access.

If I didn't get the DVD system in my MO, I would have gone with an aftermarket system from www.avelectronic.com I just ordered their back-up camera and TV Tuner box so I can watch TV and DVD movies on both the DVD players screen as well as the Navigations screen (when stopped), and also have the back-up camera.

Bob
Thanks for the info Bob, very helpful!

·
Registered
389 Posts
You're welcome Koz! And welcome to MO-Ownership! :cool:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Koz-

MoFicianados? :29: I like that.

Let's see.... There is no master switch that I know of to turn on all interior lights. It would have been a nice feature, but unfortunately we don't have it. You would think that would be standard on all cars.

Can't help you with the DVD player. Don't have one, don't want one.

Now concerning your impatience... You received a meaningful response within the hour, and three more in the next hour. Many of the 37 who viewed your post were most likely guests who cannot respond, or members who may not have had the answer to your questions.

I have found this forum to be a rich resource of information on not just the MO, but on the mechanics and dynamics of the automobile in general. There are members here who really know their cars. Be patient, you'll get your info.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
KOZ said:
Wow this is pretty weak- 37 views and only 2 responses, one of which was mine. I thought that people actually offered meaningful opinions on this site instead of just lurking....
Considering the post has been up for less than 6 hours.... and the number of members it is not suprising and appropriate at this time.

Check back in a day or so and there will be many responses. Geesh....

Oh and now I understand the interior question... nothing like that in the MO or more Japan cars. It would be very easy to make a master on/off switch (no diming). All you need to do us tap in to the door switch and ground the wire... all lights come on as if the door was opened.

I personally never liked the all on feature... never found it useful, I prefer the MO implementation of a light on where you need it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
There is no On-OFF interior light switch, except for the Dome light.

For DVD forget the OEM. Costco has a 8 inch Toshiba portable DVD player with a switch that inverts the picture. It is very thin and can be installed on the roof, run its power from the dome light, and with the picture inverted, IMO is the perfect size. With the cost of $169, it is also very cheap....!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
njjoe said:
Koz-

MoFicianados? :29: I like that.

Let's see.... There is no master switch that I know of to turn on all interior lights. It would have been a nice feature, but unfortunately we don't have it. You would think that would be standard on all cars.

Can't help you with the DVD player. Don't have one, don't want one.

Now concerning your impatience... You received a meaningful response within the hour, and three more in the next hour. Many of the 37 who viewed your post were most likely guests who cannot respond, or members who may not have had the answer to your questions.

I have found this forum to be a rich resource of information on not just the MO, but on the mechanics and dynamics of the automobile in general. There are members here who really know their cars. Be patient, you'll get your info.

-njjoe
Duly noted, thanks for the tips guys! I guess I am just spoiled, part of a NY Jets forum where 50 people respond within 10 minutes. Patience is definitely a virtue...You've certainly responded to my questions and for that I thank ya!

Damm light switch- such a simple concept and that's the one area where they dropped the ball. Thanks for the mod on the switch but I don't want to go tapping into any of the factory wiring- my luck I cross something, void the warranty and the next day my CVT blows....Not a pretty picture...

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
zebelkhan said:
There is no On-OFF interior light switch, except for the Dome light.

For DVD forget the OEM. Costco has a 8 inch Toshiba portable DVD player with a switch that inverts the picture. It is very thin and can be installed on the roof, run its power from the dome light, and with the picture inverted, IMO is the perfect size. With the cost of $169, it is also very cheap....!
I second that post!!

Anyway, welcome to the BLACK-MO family....:2:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Koz,

I own Super Black and I love em in every way!
The only thing I can think about BK is that you spend lots of time doing the car wash...lol

So, looks like the fellow MO's have answer all your Q's.
You will be bill for their consultation fees, which you can pay over here at this site, your receipt will show as "$$ Contributor." :2:

Enjoy the ride~

Nizmo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Regarding interior lights, my peeve is that the map lights don't come on when a door is opened. I have a charcoal leather interior and it just seems darker than I would like it when you open the door. Would prefer if both map lights would come on when the doors are opened. I don't suppose there is a mod to the BCM that would do this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts