Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal. My A4 is starting to have some electrical problems and from what I have learned, that is the first step in a downward spiral for this car.

I trust you guys a great deal and am wondering what suggestions you have. Nothing against american cars, but it will have to be a japanese car (nissan, toyota, honda). I can't afford to have another MO:(

I am looking for a excellent deal. It probably has to be a sedan as I need to have a child seat in back. Most importantly, it also needs to be safe. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i'd recommend either the new toyota camry or the mazda 3 sport(or better the the mazdaspeed 3 comming in the summer-250hp turbo four yeehaaa) the new camry i'd get in the sport model, with the 3.5 v6 and the toyota reliability and fuel econ, you can't go wrong, while the mazda 3 has received rave reviews.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm going to keep the Murano.

But I wouldn't buy another Japanese car if you held me down and whipped me.

Homer

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Jeez Homer. Look the guys at work were talking. At least in our area the Acura dealer support is head and shoulders above Nissan. Was hearing a story about a transmission that had a recall for a gear that needed a modification and Acura extended the full warranty period from the time/mileage of the modification. Wasn't safety related or anything, was a reliability design issue. A lot more costly than a plastic fuel shield. Heard another story about people going for their oil change and getting a $100 certificate in the mail etc. And these guys paid about as much for their Acura as I did for the MO, albeit they were cars. I've heard good things about some of the others. Listening to them and their experiences, it puts what I read here and in the Z forums to shame. Another guy at work had anb older model Frontier that had exhaust manifold crack problems, a shared problem with other models during those years due to shared engine plant. Typical Nissan response, I think he had it replaced 3 times on his alone and they were always on back order but never admitted they had a problem. For the last 3 years people at work always assume I am a Nissan man, I tell them no, they just have a couple products I'm fond of. Just saying ya might consider not giving up on all Japanese manufacturers.

·
Registered
747 Posts
New Car

Coness - if you must have Japanese, why not wait for the 07 Altima. From the photos I've seen it looks really good. I am driving Korean right now and can give Positive feedback on the Hyundai Sonata. Hyundai appears to be a completely different car company than the one that hatched the Excel back in the late 80's. I got my Sonata with all options (Sunroof/6CD/MP3 Player) for 20K. You can probably do even better than I did as far as price. I don't want to sound like a Hyundai commercial though, just my experience has been positive. I also Like the Acura TSX (A little sportier than US based Accord) and Acura has a high regard for their customers as stated previously. Only downfall with Acura is they do ot bargain.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ohh i totally forgot about the sonata.. although the interior could be better as far as styling the exterior looks super and the new 3.3 v6 is has more then enough power and for the price, you really can't beat it. also check out the azera if you need something larger with the 3.8 v6. there are quite a few good cars on the market right now it's just trying to find the right blend of quality and service.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Coness - if you must have Japanese, why not wait for the 07 Altima
I must say that my 3.5 Altima has been a blast. It is fast, I mean real fast. Got a ticket last month fast. It is roomy, real roomy and one of the first cars I sat in the back seat where I did not feel scrunched. It looks pretty nice and if your an ass man, it has one of the best looking rears of any car out there. I got the spoiler just for the looks. Now at 42 or so thousand trouble free miles.
I'll at least urge you to take it for a spin but beware, after the 3.5 drive, there is no going back to the 2.5 standard engine.
If I did not go that route, I'd consider the Camry.

Bob1 :4:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Another thing I don't understand about Nissan......

WHY would anybody buy a Maxima?
Is it that much better than an Altima?
Frankly I don't see it.
Looks to me like the Altima is just as good and less expensive. A much better value.
Or am I missing something?

BTW, I am a big believer in Hyundai. Different class than Murano to be sure, but the Sante Fe seems to be a very strong car with very few problems.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hfelknor said:
Another thing I don't understand about Nissan......

WHY would anybody buy a Maxima?
Is it that much better than an Altima?
Frankly I don't see it.
Looks to me like the Altima is just as good and less expensive. A much better value.
Or am I missing something?

BTW, I am a big believer in Hyundai. Different class than Murano to be sure, but the Sante Fe seems to be a very strong car with very few problems.

Homer
For a while, you could get options like VDC and NAV on the Maxima but not Altima. Now with the 07 Altima, you can get both.

I'm sure the new Altima is a bit larger inside too compared to the previous gen (although I think its actually shorter outside than the former Altima), but for interior accomodations, few cars beat the Maxima for space. So I guess that leaves the Maxima market for people who want to buy a spacious Japanese sedan that's not as boring as an Avalon.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yes Homer, a smart shopper will see the value there. Others may be wowed the Maxima's sky windows. Not me, don't need such things. I can better spend my money elsewhere. I think I paid in the low to mid 20's for my Altima 3.5 SE, 23 or so if I remember. I did see a Altima 3.5-SER a few weeks ago in the showroom. They had some ridiculous sticker at 30K on that. The base Altima SE was fairly loaded with power drivers seat a good sound system and what-not. I added the spoiler, mudflaps and lower body moulding. So like the MO, you can spend a mild amount or go hog wild. Frankly 30K for an Altima is borderline insanity.
I do however feel the almost 3K more I paid for the 3.5 engine was worth it.
Bob1

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hfelknor said:

we actually owned a 2001 santa fe for a couple years before we got the murano and i can vouch for the lack of problems it had. in 2 years nothing but smooth squeek and creekless sailing, the only time we saw the dealer was when it was in for oil changes or we were buying accessories for it. other than the little mishap with overstateing the HP and the reccent embezzeling of ceo's, i'd go back to hyundai in a hearbeat, actually trying to figure out how i can get my dad to sell his gm truck and get a hyundai Azera or at least a sonata. that's a gorgeous sedan.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sonata is a good buy at the moment. You can obviously get a Camry or Accord for about the same money but it will be stripped.

Take a look at the TL if you don't mind FWD. The nice thing there is you don't get nickeled and dimed with options. Basically NAV or no NAV and that's it. Yeah, so it is basically just a rebadge accord, but the Acura dealer service tends to rank fairly highly in surveys if you believe in such things.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Subaru Impreza 2.5i (wagon or sedan, both are gorgeous IMO) if you re feeling racy, go for the WRX, but both are a total riot to drive...:cool:
Cheers,
Kocioblue MO

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Altma vs Santa Fe

My son has both and the Santa Fe is the winner Hands Down in every department. :cool:

·
5,244 Posts
Re: Altma vs Santa Fe

GripperDon said:
My son has both and the Santa Fe is the winner Hands Down in every department. :cool:
How can you compare sedan with SUV? :8:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
you can compare quality and reliability b/w the 2

·
Registered
133 Posts
car to replace MO

Hi, Coness. Have you considered a Subie WRX wagon? For 06 they have upgraded quality and driveability to near Honda/Toyota standards.
I have been checking out the wrx/sti series for the past 6 months. Reviews are very good and reliability is excellent. The basic wrx wagon goes for just over 24K thru costco or other buying services. The fancier wrx with leather, etc. is $2300 higher. Since you live in Minnesota, you would like the full time 4 wheel drive.
That wagon is great for versatility, also. Driving it is an absolute blast! There is alot of online enthusiasm for it, also.
It all depends on your personality type. Some of those other cars mentioned are also nice, but bland. Both my wife and I are enthusiasts so love that car! Only reason we don't trade in our 03 Si is the cost factor. :(

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
nissanlove said:
you can compare quality and reliability b/w the 2

I can only go on my experience of having the Altima since 2002. Breakdowns-zero, performance-outstanding, comfort-high. Gas mileage, high (about 28.5 MPG highway) Just had the brakes looked at during a tire rotation, told at least 20-25 thousand more miles before I need a pad change. I now have 44000 miles on the car. Original tires, Turanza's with plenty of tread, at least 20-25 thousand miles to go on those.
The only thing that would stop me from going again would be the human nature desire for change. Still the best car I have ever owned.
Bob1

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the feedback! One thing that I should mention is that this next car will be a temporary one (3 yrs lease). Once my 3 yo son goes to school full time and my wife goes back to work full time, we should be able to purchase a nicer vehicle.....For now, we are weighing our options and have decided that leasing may be the way to go.

I am looking for a decent car with little or no down and keeping payments under $200 / mo:(

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
These are some ways to compare 2 different models

Fit
Finish
Panel Gap
Materials Quality
Degree of trouble free operation
Dealer Compliance.
Component selections
Transmission Smoothness
Engine Smoothness
Sound System
Etc.

The ride is different
The style is different
The purpose is different

My first list are in His Opinion important and that why he is looking at the new Sonnata

1 - 20 of 20 Posts