Nissan Murano Forum banner

New car owner question

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  9495 
#1 ·
Probably a dumb question....sometimes when I let off the accelerator it feels like the car is automatically breaking for me..is this normal? I have a lot to learn about this car.

#2 ·
payton5812 said:
Probably a dumb question....sometimes when I let off the accelerator it feels like the car is automatically breaking for me..is this normal?
2 Things:

1. No such thing as a dumb question.
2. Yes. That feeling is normal.

I almost passed on buying this car because it felt like it "never coasted" after driving it, I wouldn't want it any other way. It's a normal reaction of your CVT. You'll get used to it!

#4 ·
payton5812 said:
Probably a dumb question....sometimes when I let off the accelerator it feels like the car is automatically breaking for me..is this normal? I have a lot to learn about this car.
You will really appreaciate that braking from the CVT in the winter time on snow and ice.:29: :29:

#6 ·
Gonzo said:
You also appreciate it when it really kicks up the RPM when going down a hill with your foot off the gas.... just like down shifting but without the feeling of it.
Agreed. I had heard about the "downhill assist" but never bothered messing with it during the test drives. But I've come to really appreciate it, esspecially since I've always driven manuals.

That's one of the things I've always hated about automatics. Just picks up more and more speed, so you have to use your brakes a LOT more than on a manual. I've been really impressed with this feature on the Murano. And sometimes I bump it over to "S" for added engine braking, especially if going down a long and steep hill. Helps to keep the brakes a little bit cooler to avoid "warping" the rotors (which is really leaving brake pad deposits, not tenically warping, but that's a different discussion).

One thing I have noticed, however, is that as you slow down, all of a sudden the torque converter unlocks, thereby releasing the car and it tends to jump forward a little bit. Gotta be ready for that. Taken me by surprise a couple times and had to brake a little harder than I was wanting to. More because of stupidity on my part, but it does jump. Essentially you're using two brakes coming to a stop, then one of them (the transmission) disengages so you have to double the application of the other one (the brake pedal).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.