Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the good folks who read and give advise on this forum, I need some recs regarding buying a new car for my daughter who just turned 16. My daughter loves bright colors like the sunburst yellow or habanero red. I looked around for some good compact/subcompact cars and came up with a few that we will be test driving. These include Honda Civic, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa and Mazda 3. Budget is under 20G and as a dad safety and reliability is more important than the looks.(My daughter thinks I am old fashioned!) All good recs will be seriously read!

Thanks

Muranomax

·
Registered
37 Posts
My fiance has a Scion tC. It's got a Camry engine in it so there's your reliability. Pretty sure the latest ones come with side curtain airbags and what not as well.

Plus, hers with floormats and automatic transmission came to just over $17000. It's been a great car for us so far. Only thing I would watch for when driving is that in can be a little difficult checking your blind spot. The seat is 9-way adjustable I think though so chances are you/she could find a spot that is comfortable and eliminates this issue.

We also test drove a Honda Civic and liked it equally. The newest civic line are outstanding cars.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
black03specv said:
My fiance has a Scion tC. It's got a Camry engine in it so there's your reliability. Pretty sure the latest ones come with side curtain airbags and what not as well.

Plus, hers with floormats and automatic transmission came to just over $17000. It's been a great car for us so far. Only thing I would watch for when driving is that in can be a little difficult checking your blind spot. The seat is 9-way adjustable I think though so chances are you/she could find a spot that is comfortable and eliminates this issue.

We also test drove a Honda Civic and liked it equally. The newest civic line are outstanding cars.
Thanks

We looked at the Scions. I am not sure why but my daughter did not like it.I thought it was a fairly nice car. She loved the Civic and that will be on top of our list for next saturday test drive.

Thanks

Muranomax

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The most "useful" car out of the bunch is the Honda Fit - with the crazy foldable magic seats it fits a lot more than a car that small should hold. Also, its the best handling car of the ones you listed too, unless you meant the MAZDASPEED 3! :D :D :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
I voted for the Honda civic, my daughter bought a 1995 civic and sold it 18 months later for the same amount she paid for it. She then bought a 03 civic SI.

She has had great reliability on both cars and great fuel economy at the same time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eric L. said:
The most "useful" car out of the bunch is the Honda Fit - with the crazy foldable magic seats it fits a lot more than a car that small should hold. Also, its the best handling car of the ones you listed too, unless you meant the MAZDASPEED 3! :D :D :D
Thanks Eric

That will be one of the cars we will be test driving. I am a little concerned about the safety of sub compact cars in general. I am not sure mazdaspeed 3 will be a good beginers car. Does it have automatic transmission? If it is manual, she will not want it.

Thanks

Muranomax

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stoker said:
I voted for the Honda civic, my daughter bought a 1995 civic and sold it 18 months later for the same amount she paid for it. She then bought a 03 civic SI.

She has had great reliability on both cars and great fuel economy at the same time.
Thanks Stoker

Thats my first choice too. I have to wait till saturday to let my daughter test drive it to see if she likes it as much!

Thanks

Muranomax

·
Registered
844 Posts
muranomax said:

Thanks Stoker

Thats my first choice too. I have to wait till saturday to let my daughter test drive it to see if she likes it as much!

Thanks

Muranomax
When I took my daughter to look for her 03 Honda she told me that she wanted a 2-door car as she did need the extra room for kids yet. I replied that I was not ready to be a grandfather yet either.

This is one of those rare occasions when Father and Daughter are on the same page.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I vote for Civic, primarily from its reliability and resale value. From safety stand point, they are probably all the same.

Here is a piece of advice your daughter may not want to hear:

She is only 16, meaning she will probably drive it to school where other 16 year olds also bring their cars. That means lot's of dents, scratches, and pure damage to the exterior of the car in a relatively very short period of time. Don't go for a new car at this point.....:4:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zebelkhan said:
I vote for Civic, primarily from its reliability and resale value. From safety stand point, they are probably all the same.

Here is a piece of advice your daughter may not want to hear:

She is only 16, meaning she will probably drive it to school where other 16 year olds also bring their cars. That means lot's of dents, scratches, and pure damage to the exterior of the car in a relatively very short period of time. Don't go for a new car at this point.....:4:
Well said Zebelkhan

That is so true. I considered a used car as well. However, the price of a used Honda civic is so close to a new one that I am better off buying a new car.Moreover this is going to be her first car, so I want her to feel good about it.

Thanks

Muranomax

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Let me pass on the advice for what I did at this stage.

I bought my son a 1990 Jeep Cherokee with 99K miles. The year was 1998 so it was 8 years old at the time of purchase.

My motivation was something built like a Sherman tank and something without a bunch of get up and go.

I always feared someone running into the econobox cars with a Ford Expedition or some other land-yacht. I think the small cars fold too easily when challenged by a 4 ton behemoth.

Anyway, I told my son the car was expected to last through college.
As of last week he had 199K and it's still running. He graduated college in 2005.

I told him to let it go, it did its job and it's now on borrowed time.

Bob1

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bob1 said:
Let me pass on the advice for what I did at this stage.

I bought my son a 1990 Jeep Cherokee with 99K miles. The year was 1998 so it was 8 years old at the time of purchase.

My motivation was something built like a Sherman tank and something without a bunch of get up and go.

I always feared someone running into the econobox cars with a Ford Expedition or some other land-yacht. I think the small cars fold too easily when challenged by a 4 ton behemoth.

Anyway, I told my son the car was expected to last through college.
As of last week he had 199K and it's still running. He graduated college in 2005.

I told him to let it go, it did its job and it's now on borrowed time.

Bob1
Bob,

I took my daughter to the chrysler/Jeep dealer and had her look at some of the Jeep wranglers. She did not like the rough ride on the wrangler. At this point we are really looking at Honda civic or Fit. I also wanted to look at a basic mini cooper as well( A tad bit more than our budget but I can manage). Any thoughts on this.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Wow what a lot of good advice.

So much that I am not really sure I can add anything usefull.

Insurance rate will be hi. Might consider that. It is a first car will it go on to college. We got our youngest son hi first car in high school and he kept it thru under grad and then half way thru Med school so it could get many years of use and a zillion miles. I do have to say I was impressed with the new Kia Sportage, lots of room, air bags all over, stick shift, DOHC good mileage, etc. and a great warranty.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
muranomax said:

Bob,

I took my daughter to the chrysler/Jeep dealer and had her look at some of the Jeep wranglers. She did not like the rough ride on the wrangler. At this point we are really looking at Honda civic or Fit. I also wanted to look at a basic mini cooper as well( A tad bit more than our budget but I can manage). Any thoughts on this.
I'll agree about the Wrangler as that is about as close as it comes to a WW-II rough riding vehicle. That was not made for comfort. It also struggles on highways to keep up with traffic. That was not designed for interstate travel.

My only concern with the Mini's and Civics are the crunch factor if they tangle with the monster SUV types on the road. They are good reliable cars otherwise.

Bob1

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Wow what a lot of good advice.

GripperDon said:
So much that I am not really sure I can add anything usefull.

Insurance rate will be hi. Might consider that. It is a first car will it go on to college. We got our youngest son hi first car in high school and he kept it thru under grad and then half way thru Med school so it could get many years of use and a zillion miles. I do have to say I was impressed with the new Kia Sportage, lots of room, air bags all over, stick shift, DOHC good mileage, etc. and a great warranty.
Thanks Don

This will be the only car I will buy my daughter(Hopefully). Anything after this will be after she finishes college and at her own expense. I think we have made that very clear to my daughter and She knows that.Now! I dont know how much of a soft spot my wife has and how gullible she may be as I have seen my wife relenting on things before. You know how kids have a way of getting what they want! I remember I always used to talk to my mom quietly when my dad would not agree to certain things and somehow mom always made sure I got what I wanted!
Kia sportage! I never thought about that. I gotta look it up and maybe take a test drive.Thanks Don

Muranomax

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
muranomax said:

Thanks Eric

That will be one of the cars we will be test driving. I am a little concerned about the safety of sub compact cars in general. I am not sure mazdaspeed 3 will be a good beginers car. Does it have automatic transmission? If it is manual, she will not want it.

Thanks

Muranomax
The Mazdaspeed 3 would probably be inappropriate for your situation then - its a little wagon with a stickshift and 263hp!

One thing to consider for any car you buy your daughter, especially if it is new, is to buy a vehicle with side curtain airbags, ABS, and electronic stability control. I believe the Fit comes standard with all of it, and the others might have the side curtains, but not stability control. I might be wrong, but it doesn't hurt to check. Kids think they are invincible on the road, but I think their folks know better, and most of the time it is better to be able to avoid a collision than be involved in one.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Re: Re: Wow what a lot of good advice.

muranomax said:

This will be the only car I will buy my daughter(Hopefully). Anything after this will be after she finishes college and at her own expense.

One more piece of advice. Cars are an expense and this is a great time to teach the kids that there is no free lunch.

I gave my son the choice to pay his insurance or pay for repair and up keep. He took the repairs which were everything from oil to batteries and tires.

This also meant that no job means no car. That's my opinion, I don't want to say it should be everyone's but I found that when the kids have to work to earn the money, they appreciate it a bit more when they see what it takes to maintain a car.
Bob1

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Eric L. said:
One thing to consider for any car you buy your daughter, especially if it is new, is to buy a vehicle with side curtain airbags, ABS, and electronic stability control....
And a device to track where they go and how fast they go to get there.....

For a while, I monitored the GPS on my daughter's car, not for where she was going because I knew that, but for speed. Once she learned that her mom and I "somehow" find out when she breaks the law, she quit doing it and now she is a good driver.... :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zebelkhan said:

And a device to track where they go and how fast they go to get there.....

For a while, I monitored the GPS on my daughter's car, not for where she was going because I knew that, but for speed. Once she learned that her mom and I "somehow" find out when she breaks the law, she quit doing it and now she is a good driver.... :D
My first car as a kid could barely break freeway speeds, so my folks never really had to worry I was going too fast. :D :D :D

Technology these days!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Now that i have convinced my son to replace his jeep, he wants to buy my 2002 Altima. It still looks show room new and has 50K on it with brand new tires.

Now the problem I have is I want an Infiniti G-35 coupe. I don't want to spring for a new one so that just leaves me one choice.

Hey Grip, did you have one of these sitting around the garage that you can sell me?

Bob1 :2:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
11 Participants
muranomax
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing