·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will look nice....it the only price was lower.....:(

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ye, this is interesting question. One more big news from Porsche - they are going to release Sedan! And that a news! Think about 911 in family sedan skin.....:D

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
This new Cayenne looks to be quite a bit lower and sleeker than the current model. I like this new look a lot better.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, it's just my opinion, but.......

I wonder why Porsche just doesn't walk outside and shoot themselves.

First they built a truck.
Sales of that truck are now rivaling the Infinity Q45. That is to say, there are none.

And now they are going to build a sedan.

The finest pure sports car company in the world now builds trucks and 4 door sedans.

What's next? Minivans? Econo cars?

I think they are crazy.
I think they are ruining the best reputation in the world.

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
A Porsche mini-van!?!? Ferdinand Porcshe would come up from his grave and haunt the design team into submission. :cursin:

Im my opinion the mystique of the Porsche marque was knocked down a few notches when they released the Cayenne. If it was a limited edition (100 units), exotic state-of-the-art super SUV then that would be different. But the Cayenne is flawed. It is not worthy of the Porsche nameplate.

Now a four-door sedan? Porsche is known for their world-class sports cars. They have found a niche in the world marketplace and have produced beautiful and fast machines for years. The world is inundated with high-end sedans. How can Porsche believe they can compete in that segment?

Why not just let Ferdinand rest in peace?

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few of you may remember that there was a time that companies tried to diversify (risk management) and capture as much market as possible. This maybe a good recipe for Ford or GM but not for “exotic” cars companies. Porsche attempted to broaden the customer base and they lost big time. There was a joke in Germany that every cleaning lady had one (not to offend cleaning ladies…). This have changed when they stuck to what they do best – quality sports cars. I just hope they do not loose their identity and heritage. In the end people are paying for 911 image. Problem that marketing people has created SUV and Truck hypes and everybody seems to jump on the bandwagon.

How would anyone switch from 911 or even Boxter to a Truck? :8:

OK, one has a farm…...
:2:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
As much as it might seem odd that Porsche decided to build the Cayenne, it did increase their sales tremendously during its early model years.

I'm not sure if I like the design of the next Cayenne. The thing that made the Cayenne unique was that it was a capable offroader (with the Touareg's air suspension and 4motion) but also handled like a Porsche (for the most part). That was the appeal of the vehicle, that it had the capability to handle it in the rough and tumble, but would also work as a poser vehicle for the boulevards. It was about the only viable competitor to the Range Rover (although I do like the new Range Rover Sport, ever since I saw it *almost* evade a British challenger tank on Top Gear.....with summer tires on a muddy off road range).

The picture above reminds me of the Citroen C6.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric,

What is it?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:
Eric,

What is it?

-njjoe
Its in the post. Citroen C6. Top Gear approved for having a smoother ride than the BMW 5-series, and Fifth Gear approved by Tiff Needel for speeding away from a sniper ambush with a flat tire!

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ye, let's face it......French cars are not that bad.... ;)

In the end are driving one :2:

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is more.

Citroen starts a luxury-sedan war in Europe
By Nick Kurczewski Email

Date posted: 04-03-2006

STORY TOOLS
PRINT THIS SAVE THIS
EMAIL THIS MOST POPULAR
Barely 20 minutes into my weekend with a 2006 Citroën C6, and already the car's rivals are pushing its nose out of shape — literally. Stuck in Paris' Friday night rush hour, at the every-man-for-himself Place de la Concorde, I watch incredulously as the driver of a black Mercedes-Benz CLS comes to a stop in front of me, and then reverses several feet and into the snout of my shiny new C6. I know that the top-of-the-Citroën-range C6 is targeting some swanky German luxury sedans, but I never expected things to get physical!

The C6 is Citroën's spiritual successor to the beloved DS sedan, a car that looked like it was from another planet when it arrived in 1955, amidst an era when automotive styling meant taller tail fins and more chrome. The DS was cool and sleek, with a cosseting hydropneumatic suspension that would become a Citroën trademark during the model's 20-year lifespan.

The DS even saved the life of President Charles de Gaulle, during an assassination attempt just outside Paris in 1962. With two tires shot, the self-leveling suspension kept the car controllable, allowing de Gaulle's chauffeur to drive to safety. Compared to that, my brush with a poorly driven German sedan seems fairly boring.

Numbers (thankfully) don't tell the whole story
One characteristic I hoped the C6 would not share with the DS was the old model's reputation for being underpowered. Two V6s are offered in Europe: a 215-horsepower, 3.0-liter gasoline engine is standard, while a 208-horse, 2.7-liter HDi twin-turbocharged diesel serves as the top power plant. All C6 variants are front-wheel drive. My car had the diesel mated to a smooth-shifting six-speed automatic transmission with a manual mode. Shifting the lever to the left allows the driver to upshift or downshift by pushing forward or backward. It's a fine system, though the fact that the diesel delivers 325 pound-feet of torque from as low as 1,900 rpm makes winding the tach to the 5,000-rpm redline a little déclassfé.

This engine was co-developed by PSA Peugeot Citroën and Ford, and is found in everything from the Peugeot 407 Coupé to Jaguar's Euro-spec S-Type sedan. In town, it's a little grumbly. Though there is no arguing with a combined city/highway fuel-economy average of 32.5 mpg. Citroën's official 0-100-km/h (0-62-mph) time is 8.9 seconds. That sounds awfully slothlike for a luxury sedan that, in top trim levels, costs more than $65,000. A glance at the specs of BMW's diesel-powered 530d, with its 3.0-liter inline six, shows that the German sedan has a 23-hp advantage and, more importantly, can reach 62 mph in roughly 6.8 seconds.

Through the narrow streets of the Left Bank, the steering is a touch too light. A button between the front seats allows for adjustment of the suspension, as well as offering a Sport setting. Pressing "Sport" firms up the ride and, more importantly, finally offers the driver some useful steering feedback. The all-around ventilated disc brakes are excellent, well weighted and capable of bringing the sedan to a quick stop should a map-reading tourist blindly amble into the street.

Gadgets galore!
In the majority of driving situations, the ample torque in the C6 makes up for its lack of big horsepower numbers. With four onboard during a weekend drive into the French countryside, the power is fine, with minimal diesel clatter, and the ride is luxurious.

Once outside of town and on smooth French autoroutes, the C6 enjoys stretching its legs. So can the rear-seat passengers, since the optional Lounge Pack includes rear seats that electronically recline with the touch of a button on the doors. The right-rear passenger also has a button that can slide the front-passenger seat forward for additional legroom. Laminated side windows also help to keep noise levels low. Apparently, they are almost impossible for a thief to smash. This is a good thing, considering that car tipping in France soon looks set to replace tennis as the favorite national pastime.

There are plenty of features to keep the driver and front passenger appeased, too. The dashboard is clean and uncluttered, though slightly marred by the occasional cheap-looking switchgear, obviously pilfered from lesser models. A strip of wood covers the length of the dash, with great planks of the stuff covering handsome door bins. The leather seats are comfortable and adjustable via buttons on the doors.

Techno gadgets are a Citroën hallmark, and the C6 doesn't suffer a lack of them. A head-up display unit is standard, as are directional headlights, an electronic parking brake, ABS, a lane-departure warning system, front and rear parking assistance, sat/nav, nine airbags (including a knee airbag for the driver), and a rear spoiler that raises at 130 km/h (80 mph). Oddly, the steering wheel still has a clunky manual adjustment for tilt and reach.

Pedestrians are also catered to, should you happen to run someone over: An active engine hood senses when an object is hit, and immediately raises itself 65 millimeters to keep the hapless soul off the hard bits, like the engine, lurking underneath.

Style matters
What is most notable about the C6 is its style. German and Japanese luxury sedans might have more horsepower and just as many electronic goodies, yet few have the presence of this French sedan. The sleek front end, short rear overhang, curved rear window and swooping side glass give the car a sense of movement. It's definitely a controversial shape. For Citroën this is not exactly a bad thing, as the car needs to set itself apart from more mainstream rivals.

The C6 is the pinnacle of the Citroën's emphasis on comfort, technology and daring lines. It is not a sporty car, and it was never meant to be one. In terms of offering a coddling ride, comfortable cabin and avant-garde looks, the C6 places the quirky French brand on a level it has not occupied since the DS sedan went out of production 31 years ago.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Typical Citroen.
Quirky (But I like quirky) and slow (But I don't like slow).

I actually loved the upside down bathtub that they called the DS.
Loved the Hydro suspension and the fact that you could raise/lower from the dash.
You heard RR tracks, you didn't feel them.
0-60 in 6.4 fortnights.

Homer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts