Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I'm wondering... can I ditch my current dash and install a 2006 one? My current one is UGLY... the new one is much better looking.

GripperDon... the king of Mod's... you have to know this answer... what do you think? I can't stand dealing with Nissan Service, so I hate to have to go ask them.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yours is only ugly cause the image compression is low :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey GymKid just wants an excuse to change the dash.

:2:

While you are at it, take that image into photoshop and and put some dings and scratches in it too. :D

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
The 2006 display looks more "upscale" and appears to be more legible. If it is feasible I would be interested in changing mine, that is assuming the cost is not outrageous.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Pretty funny how you posted an awful image of the old guages in comparison to the crystal clear image of the new ones. :D :D

The various warning lights are located in different pods as well, so who knows whether this will work. You would *think* only the unit is different and the connectors are the same, but I guess you won't know unless someone tries it. You could buy one from the dealership and try it out, but most electronic parts are not returnable, so if it doesn't work, you are out of luck.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Eric L. said:
You could buy one from the dealership and try it out, but most electronic parts are not returnable, so if it doesn't work, you are out of luck.
How much will the dealership charge for this new console? :rolleyes: $1,000?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
My parts list shows $600 for the 2003 instrument cluster. I assume the '06 version would only cost more. Thats not including installation costs.

It might be more worth it to get an aftermarket guage face kit (they can be made custom for much less than $600).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Installation should be easy.

The other day with some info from Gonzo I removed the dash panel under the steering wheel to get to the area directly under the cluster. From the info Gonzo provided (search 'Instrument Cluster Rattle) only two bolts seem to secure the cluster in place. Assuming or hoping that the pin assignments on the electrical connectors are the same, although the warning lights are located in different spots, installation of the new cluster should be a snap.

Presumably an onboard computer will take care of miles or kms?

Interesting that they now have a 'Brake' light instead of (!)

At some point in the future would there be any possibility of a group buy?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
My 03 has a "brake light" on the dash.

Hey Jimkid... I"m with you. One of the best things I like about the 06 is the dash.... a huge improvement. However I fear that it will cost too much. Also what about the odo....

If we can get a dash I bet its a swap.... what about cost... the cost... the cost... damit Jim... I need less cost.....

Sorry fellas I went out for a minute but I'm back.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm, $600 is really high, and not worth it... but maybe I can buy a used one. I'll check ebay for a used 2006 instrument panel.

Okay, due to all the 'comments' about the bad blurry picture of the current dash... :D ... I'm reposting the picture with a better picture of my UGLY dash. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
The new dash look is similar to tje Infiniti. I wish the speedometer numerals were defined in 5 mph increments so you had 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, ..... with 60 mph at the top of the dial. The speedometer doesn't need to go 160.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
HuskyFan said:
The new dash look is similar to the Infiniti. I wish the speedometer numerals were defined in 5 mph increments so you had 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, ..... with 60 mph at the top of the dial. The speedometer doesn't need to go 160.
Yes, Yes, Yes!!! I am glad I am not alone in preferring a more "realistic" speedometer.

As an Engineer, I could never understand the rational of using a gauge (speedometer) where only 70% of the range is usable. Would you buy a household thermostat with an operating temperature range of 40 to 100 degrees F. when 55 to 85 would better satisfy your requirements?? Do the Nissan designers believe we will be fooled into thinking the car can run 150 - 160 MPH because it's speedo tops out at 160?? Is the car any slower because it has a 120 MPH speedo?

I believe it is safe to say 75% of MO owners never see the far side of 80 MPH, and only a paltry few will ever hit the speed limiter.

I'd prefer a more practical 120 MPH speedo, which better reflects the capability of the MO. And for you speed junkies, wouldn't it be better to see the needle just about bouncing on the max (120 MPH) peg as you hit the limiter?

Just my thoughts...

GO GIANTS!! GO YANKS!!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yes of course the speedometer has nothing to with the top speed of the vehicle, but the ones with lower numbers really make the car look lame. I remember back in the day when speedometers (for example, on VWs, Fords, and GM trucks) went only up to 85. I'd much rather have one that was too high than too low.

Manufacturers use these ridiculously high numbers nowadays to give the illusion of higher performance potential - I think you would be surprised how many people think the max speed on the speedometer is actual max speed of the vehicle! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Eric L. said:
...I remember back in the day when speedometers (for example, on VWs, Fords, and GM trucks) went only up to 85....
And one common problem with speedos in those days was that the manuafcturers could not hide the inaccuracy of the device since a couple of miles off would have been clearly detectable on the dial.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did a little more research today on the 2006 instrument panel... for my 2005.

The cost of the I-panel is $630.00.
The part # is 24820-cc20B (just in case anyone should ever need it)

I called 1-800-Nissan-1 and they said...

"It should be compatable, there shouldn't be any problems switching them to customize it. BUT, if you do switch them, it will void the warrenty. Even if it is done by a nissan dealer."

I wouldn't want to void my warrenty in any way so I guess that idea is out... at least for another 2 and half years while my warrenty is active.

·
4,601 Posts
njjoe said:
As an Engineer, I could never understand the rational of using a gauge (speedometer) where only 70% of the range is usable.
I think this one's usable to 80-90%... Not that I would use it that far.

One thing that really messed me up, until I figured it out, today... We're so used to seeing numbers in 10's, that I was actually reading this wrong. Look at it and try to count the marks in decades.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Feel free to use my pictures... Here's one I had as a wallpaper (at higher resolution) because I love the orange guages.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts