Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Gonzo said:
Some days.....
If it was not so true, it would be hilarious: :22:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Up here in Canada we really got the shaft....gas went to $1.20 per litre - up $.20 from the previous day. To put it into perspective, gas went up $.20 per gallon in the US; there are 4 liters per gallon. Anyone else think gas companies are screwing us????
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Saw this morning anything from 2.89 to 3.89.

I would not mind paying it if the extra profit went to victims of hurricane. Unfortunately it will go to the pockets of oil corporations and speculators.....SHAME ON THEM!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
crash said:
Up here in Canada we really got the shaft....gas went to $1.20 per litre - up $.20 from the previous day. To put it into perspective, gas went up $.20 per gallon in the US; there are 4 liters per gallon. Anyone else think gas companies are screwing us????
It's 4.5 lts to a US gallon not 4lts, The price of fuel is over 50% tax from the federal and provinical gov't. Oil companies sell their gas depending on market forces (i.e. price of crude oil and the law of supply and demand). Oil companies are only making 2-5 cents a liter. The big problem is not the oil supply as it is about the number of refineries that are off line in St.Louis area. When they cannot make gasoline the reduction in fuel stocks causes the price to go up.

So regardless of what the Liberal MP's from Ontario are saying ( on Canada AM, Toronto MP Dan McTeague ) that the oil companies are gouging us in fuel costs, that is not the truth. Why not ask them why the taxes are so high and why they are not reducing them during this crisis. If you cheeck out this website you will find out the tax that is put on a liter of fuel vs the price of the fuel, www.mjervin.com/WPPS_Public.htm

The oil companies have been investigated 5 times by the competition dept and have not found anything going on that would justify that claim.

In a personal note I am more worried about the death and desturction in the St. louis area than I am about the price of fuel right now.:soapbox:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Stoker said:
...Oil companies are only making 2-5 cents a liter....So regardless of what the Liberal MP's from Ontario are saying ( on Canada AM, Toronto MP Dan McTeague ) that the oil companies are gouging us in fuel costs, that is not the truth. Why not ask them why the taxes are so high and why they are not reducing them during this crisis....The oil companies have been investigated 5 times by the competition dept and have not found anything going on that would justify that claim....
LOL....I don't know about Canada but US oil companies are simply making a killing here. I am not talking about Justified higher prices, but higher prices just because the opporunity exists.

The truth is somewhere between the figures released by the oil companies (Conoco-Phillips, an energy company) that claims oil companies only make 7.3 cents on each gallon with the increase in profits coming from efficiency (!!!), or others who claim 50 to 75 cents a gallon. Based on Philips-Conoco's figures, cost of the crude oil is about 51% of total cost of gas prices at the pump, including taxes. Assuming no tax increases, current pump prices of $3.09/gallon for regular would require oil crude oil price of $85/barrel. This table says they are not so. So guess who is getting shafted, and who is doing the shafting.....:3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Stoker said:


It's 4.5 lts to a US gallon not 4lts, The price of fuel is over 50% tax from the federal and provinical gov't. Oil companies sell their gas depending on market forces (i.e. price of crude oil and the law of supply and demand). Oil companies are only making 2-5 cents a liter. The big problem is not the oil supply as it is about the number of refineries that are off line in St.Louis area. When they cannot make gasoline the reduction in fuel stocks causes the price to go up.

So regardless of what the Liberal MP's from Ontario are saying ( on Canada AM, Toronto MP Dan McTeague ) that the oil companies are gouging us in fuel costs, that is not the truth. Why not ask them why the taxes are so high and why they are not reducing them during this crisis. If you cheeck out this website you will find out the tax that is put on a liter of fuel vs the price of the fuel, www.mjervin.com/WPPS_Public.htm

The oil companies have been investigated 5 times by the competition dept and have not found anything going on that would justify that claim.

In a personal note I am more worried about the death and desturction in the St. louis area than I am about the price of fuel right now.:soapbox:
Dude,

Don't even get me started about politics...the tax levels are stupid to insane. No doubt they are a large contributor to the problem - but my blame will continue to lie with the oil / gas companies. Why is it that every long weekend gas goes up $.10 per liter? Government is going to do diddly about this because they run on %'s - so they are also making a killing right now. CDN suplus magically went to $9.5B (or something along that line).

Ya, I knew the 4.5 ltr / gallon - just was rounding for the sake if impact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
crash said:


Dude,

Don't even get me started about politics...the tax levels are stupid to insane. No doubt they are a large contributor to the problem - but my blame will continue to lie with the oil / gas companies. Why is it that every long weekend gas goes up $.10 per liter? Government is going to do diddly about this because they run on %'s - so they are also making a killing right now. CDN suplus magically went to $9.5B (or something along that line).

Ya, I knew the 4.5 ltr / gallon - just was rounding for the sake if

impact.
Crash
I agree about politics, I could never stoop as low as they can. Again it is supply and demand this labour day weekend is a big driving weekend so the demand is quite high, possible reason for the price hike. It is like heating you home with natual gas as you pay more in the winter than summer. One thing that I have learned from my marketing buddies is that Ontario market also covers part of the US market and they have issue with supply and demand which effects the Ontario market. I do not know if this is a help but we all can control how fast we burn fuel and how to control it.

Hope it helps
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
ekaxel said:
"It's 4.5 lts to a US gallon not 4lts"



1 US gallon=3.78 Litres!

Actually my converter is showing: 3.785412

But you were close enough..........;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,285 Posts
Actually it's 1 gallon = 4.5 Liters in Canada.


Homer

PS Of course they use the imperial gallon there.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
hfelknor said:
Actually it's 1 gallon = 4.5 Liters in Canada.


Homer

PS Of course they use the imperial gallon there.......
Wouldn't be nice if we use all the same measurements, The world Wonders
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Stoker,

you are kidding, aren't you........;)

Anyway, I cannot understand why imperial system is better than metric.........why not to standardize.......oh, I forgot, it would be too logical.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
Here in Atlanta there was a gas frenzy going on because the two pipelines were out from New Orleans. Gas went from 2.89 to over 6.00 in some places in only 4 hours. Many stations ran out of gas--something that hasn't happened around here since 74.
Today they have slid back down to just above 3.25--because the governor signed a law saying he would fine them 15-50k each for gouging.
I filled up on Monday for 2.89 a gallon for premium.
I will sit back and watch for about a week till Mo needs another tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Kris said:
Stoker,

you are kidding, aren't you........;)

Anyway, I cannot understand why imperial system is better than metric.........why not to standardize.......oh, I forgot, it would be too logical.....
Kris
Don't worry I am not advocating that we use the imperial system for measurement but to use the metric system that most of the world uses. But again you are right on logic, if everyone did the easy thing there would no challenge. But here I go again applying logic to an illogical situation
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top