Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys so I just bought a 2007 Nissan Murano about a week ago, long story short I had to spend $1200 just to get the thing to pass emissions. Further upon inspection the lower control arm is failing on the passenger side so I am now needing to replace both of them. My father is going to help me do this my main worry is I have to drive this thing approximately 100 miles there and then back. Will I need an alignment right after replacing both left and ride lower control arms so driving it back down to my place is sort of out of the question? Although I do not feel safe driving it even up 100 miles recommendations please? I can’t afford another outrageous mechanic bill.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
1,075 Posts
Hi guys so I just bought a 2007 Nissan Murano about a week ago, long story short I had to spend $1200 just to get the thing to pass emissions. Further upon inspection the lower control arm is failing on the passenger side so I am now needing to replace both of them. My father is going to help me do this my main worry is I have to drive this thing approximately 100 miles there and then back. Will I need an alignment right after replacing both left and ride lower control arms so driving it back down to my place is sort of out of the question? Although I do not feel safe driving it even up 100 miles recommendations please? I can’t afford another outrageous mechanic bill.
When you replace lower control arms, toe alignment is almost always affected so you should get a wheel alignment done or you'll likely get accelerated tire wear. But, the car should still be safe to drive athough you may notice that it handles "differently". Nevertheless, 100 miles is far to drive so you should consider finding a reputable shop near your father that can do the alignment and try to set it up so you can have it done there after replacing the parts. On a side note, if you're not going to buy OEM parts, I would suggest buying MOOG aftermarket replacements.

Reactions: TBAKE

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I would never get oem LCA that has those fluid filled bushings-rear. eBay has lots of aftermarket LCA for 100/pair or so. They are all rubber bushing. It’s not only cheaper but works just as good. Signs of a bad LCA is when you come to a full stop you will surely hear and feel a clunk in the front.

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Front end issues after replacing the lower control arms with rubber bushing have been reported. As the rubber bushings age, the Murano is slow to come back to center after taking a slow sharp corner. Also, the rubber bushing doesn't react the same way the OEM liquid filled bushing does while moving, potentially making the car ride a little stiffer initially. I believe that rubber bushings just can't properly handle the weight of the Murano long term.

The cost offset is not worth the hassle down the road and the potential of affecting the ride performance..

You can find the OEM version cheaper then what a dealer will quote. The extra cost is worth not having a steering issue down the road.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
173 Posts
OE arms are more expensive, but you can usually get 100-150K+ out of them! Most of the dirt cheap aftermarket ones are made in China to whatever spec and will last far less. My original arms were really shot at 135K, replaced with OE ones and they're still ok now at 292K.

You should be fine driving it for 100 miles. The arms should be similarly sized so as not to make a huge difference in toe. For what its worth, I never got mine realigned and tire wear is not much different than it was originally.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
My original LCA started leaking within 3 yrs and gone on the 4th- less than 50K. And I was not alone back then. The all rubber LCA I replaced it with (I think it was a dorman)is performing just as well to date. @137K. You won’t really see any difference in the the ride. In the beginning they use to only sell the entire LCA when that rear fluid filled bushing leaks. Years later all rubber bushing became available for replacement. You need a special tool to press it out and back in. Mind you, the front bushing of the same lca is all rubber. Paying triple the cost for a third of the life is not my idea of a good buy. OPs choice.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
1,075 Posts
Nissan started using all-rubber control arm bushings beginning with the 2nd generation. Perhaps they did this to save money or maybe there were real problems with the liquid-filled bushings--I don't know. The point with my recommendations is that OEM parts are generally of higher quality and less likely to have fitment issues, but there's a price premium for that. Aside from that, I've experimented with just about every brand of aftermarket suspension parts and results have been mixed with the exception of MOOG, which thus far has not disappointed me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts