Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving around in my New MO and was thinking. I've been reading up a lot on the different ways to hook up the Nav screen into a dvd player or something. BUt has anyone tried to turn the rearview camera on while the car is NOT in reverse? and then has anyone tried to tap a video source into the camera input? Just a thought. I know I can't figure it out, but atleast I came up with the idea. The video source from the camera is probably pretty similar to the composite output on a dvd or vcr. Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
That sounds doable, but you will still need DVD player and such to play movies. Do a "generator's x-box or nav-box" mod which is less intrusive and will let you do a lot more:

http://www.generatorlabs.com/

He is a member of this forum and I am sure he will be able to answer any questions you may have.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
zebelkhan

Speaking of rear view cameras, That is a project I now have to do to Miss Faye (What I call the Phaeton) I have decided to make life simple and am considering inputing the camera into the Sony laptop. I want to let the Laptop hibernate on its own and then wake up when I start Faye and go to the rear camera input, display it, and do all this automatically and quickly. Therefor:

1. I need a neato laptop slide out holder to place beneath the glove box that I can pull out when needed. (maybe that in some way can activate things.)

2. Select and mount the right camera. (Since back when I got mine has anything new or USB port connected come out that YOU would recommend?)

3. Any ideas about how to do this overall thing? I would love to do it with a Xbox type thingy but that isn't going to happen.

4. The Fay has a Video tuner available in Europe that I am trying to get but Don't yet know if it is compatible with the North American Version of the car. (big problems there, so it looks doubtful)

HELP

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Re: zebelkhan

GripperDon said:
Speaking of rear view cameras, That is a project I now have to do to Faye (What I call the Phaeton) I have decided to make life simple and input the camera into the Sony laptop. I want to let the Laptop hibernate on its own and then wake up when I start Faye and go to the rear camera input, display it, and do all this automatically and quickly. Therefor:

1. I need a neato laptop slide out holder to place beneath the glove box that I can pull out when needed. (maybe that in some way can activate things.)

2. Select and mount the right camera. (Since back when I got mine has anything new or USB port connected come out that YOU would recommend?)

3. Any ideas about how to do this overall thing? I would love to do it with a Xbox type thingy but that isn't going to happen.

4. The Fay has a Video tuner available in Europe that I am trying to get but Don't yet know if it is compatible with the North American Version of the car. (big problems there, so it looks doubtful)

HELP
Unless you mount the camera under the car, I don't see where else you can put it. You don't want to drill any holes on Fay!

I tried to look up some already built laptop holders but none looked promissing. You may have to design an build one your self. Can you post some pictures of the interior of Fay? That did not sound too good...did it! :D

Most cameras are going to be composit. I am still looking to find one that is usb but no lock so far. I even bought one of these pen cams and took the guts out but had a hard time building a nice looking case for it that would keep dirt and moisture out so I gave up. However, you can get a capture card simillar to this but unless you have usb 2.0 expect delays.

Find out if the video tuner has composite input capability. That may help too but I don't honestly expect it to be compatable with the american system.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Drilling holes in FAY is OK

Weeee a rhyme. But it is. I am looking at putting one so I can mount a camera where the 2005 Mo camera is. As a matter of fact I am looking to buy a 2005 Mo rear view camera for the job IF IF I can learn about the output etc. sufficiently to utilize it appropriately.

I am also having trouble find an appropriate slide out thingy. Looks like time to start cutting cardboard kinematic thingys and making a model and then converting to reality.

Might keep me out of trouble for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts