Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been complaining since I got my Murano about the brake squeal.
I mean it is LOUD!
Dealer said he couldn't reproduce it and when I went to drive with the service writer (twice)...... neither could I.:mad:

Now, I know that there is more to this than meets the eye (or ear as the case may be)

Yes it Squeals the first time I back up for the day and it doesn't appear to squeal after that...........but that is comparing apples and oranges as it turns out.

In fact, as it turns out, it SQUEALS! every time I back up!
I just have to be turning at the time!

Even in the Morning, if I back straight back, it is quiet.
When I back and cut the wheels strongly to the right, the Squeal is atrocious.
(BTW, If I back straight out, I can't make the cut when I pull ahead.)
And when I tested it during the day at the dealers, I backed straight back. Result, no squeal.

So all you Squealers out there
:D

Try backing straight back, and let me know what the story is with YOUR Murano.

Will this help fix it?
I don't know, but as an old troubleshooter, I can tell you this is important info, at least for my particular case.
The dealer gets another shot next week and this time I'll bet I can show the service writer, and the tech will have a way of testing each thing he tries.

Homer

·
Registered
424 Posts
Same thing here, Homer. Backing straight out the car is quiet. When I turn the wheel to either the right or left . . . squeals like a pig.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
I backed out yesterday morning with my window down. Right when I cut the wheel the brakes squealed so loud it actually hurt my ears.

I got the "we cant reproduce" line twice.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Interesting.... I'll try that myself and see what happens. Here is the thing with me... I back into my driveway a night... I get some noise when I first pull out (straight) for the first few hundred yards.... intermintatly and with each revolution the noise gets less and less until finally its gone.

I'll try the backup and turning... perhaps its related.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
New Data?

Homer... I have it a try this morning and I got the squeal when I backed out straight and turned the wheel.

BUT, I was going down an incline.

I'll try again tomorrow AM.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, thanks HTRK.

The car is at the dealer now for the CD "skipping", steering rack loose (Again), the first oil change and service, disabling of the Auto Lock, and the Brake Squeal.

The Service bulletin indicates that the front brake pads will be swapped out with another set with a different compound.

That SHOULD work.:)

Actually on these squealers, which used to be common back in the late 70s when disc brakes were becoming common, you used to be able to change out damned near anything and stop it. It was just the unhappy marriage of all the parts that were sympathetic to a particular frequency.

I'm a bit concerned about the steering rack. It was tightened once before.

And as I told the service writer, when the temps go up, I will be back for the rattles.
It was 46 here in SW Florida this AM :eek: , and we were on our way to the dealer, so naturally all the rattles stopped.

Would anybody care to guess how many reportable items this car has had, in the first year of warranty, compared to my last car?
Murano - 7
Chryco - 1
The one before that
SHO- 1
and the one before that
Mustang - 0

How about my very first Japanese car, the 1977
Datsun 810 - 0

Japanese quality, my ass. :(

Either Nissan is not representative. Or the Murano isnt. Or Japanese car owners lie like a rug.
When I see a TSB I have mixed emotions.
Good - They HAVE a fix.
Bad - there were so many cases they NEEDed a fix.
There are a lot of TSBs and they are not for failed parts.

I am thinking of calling my car "the little girl who lives in the lane".

When she is good, she is very, very good.
But when she is bad, she is horrid. ;)

Homer
:eek:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah crap.

They had to order the pads. 1wk-10 days.
That's good.
The only people who don't know how loud the squeal is, is my friends that I am going to visit in NC. Since I am leaving for there in 1 week, they will probably have a chance to find out. :3:

Well they tightened the Steering rack for the second time.
This time they forgot to straighten the steering wheel first. :3:

I never thought I would say this.
But I am starting to save my receipts etc, for a possible lemon law outcome.
Might not get there, but the fun of the Murano has been diminished.

At least they remembered to replace the drain plug when they changed the oil. ;)

Sorry to be so negative, but I have to call em as I see em.

Homer

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Ah don't feel bad hfelknor. You think Nissan is bad with these many TSB... how about GM. This week alone:

GM Recalls 636,000 SUVs to Repair Windshield Wipers
Recall of 127,000 Corvettes is GM's Third in a Week
GM Recalls 1.8 Million Cars Over Ignition Switch Problem

That alot of cars.... we may have many TSBs but I don't think we have had any recalls.

:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
It seems to me a lot of the frustration with Murano problems is worsened by the inabilty of dealer service departments to recognize and adequately deal with Murano owners problems. When one considers the financial investment in a vehicle, this should be unacceptable. This situation is generaly common in Canada across all auto brands; everyone relates taking their vehicle to a dealer like visiting a dentist (my apologies to any dentists on the board).In Canada, Infinity dealers for years have been rated as the best dealerships by far. About 1 in four Nissan dealers in Canada are Infinity dealers who also sell/service the full line of Nissan products. I purchased from this type of joint dealer. Does this type of "joint" dealership exist in the U.S.? If so, is the dealership experience a positive one?

·
5,268 Posts
In my area the Infiniti and Nissan dealers are separated. I cannot tell much about Infiniti as i did not have to use them yet. The 3 visits to Nissan dealer (3,750 and 7,500 oil change, TCU replacement) were very positive.

I will see what happens when I take the MO for rattles............

I stated it many times before and will repet it again - Murano is a great car and I just love it, however the small things (RATTLES!) can be really annoying and have the potential to kill the enjoyment of driving even the best car. So far I have been dealing with the rattles myself quite successfully. Now is time to get rid off the window "tick", meaning possible seal replacement. I will see how dealer deals with it.

It is sad that $35k + car has such stupid issues.....(RATTLES).........it is not only matter of poor workmanship, i think there are flaws in the interior design..........

·
Registered
418 Posts
Kris - no rattles ('04 SL Nov.'03 build) but do have the "Tic" caused I'm sure by the hollow seal around the door...let us know how your dealer responds.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Mine squeals from the rear brakes when backing up straight out of my garage. I was thinking about turning it in for warranty, but I'm not sure if there is anything they can do about it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
mine sqeals every morning, and maybe slightly when i pull out at work after a long day,
but i am wondering if it is weather related?
like cold weather causes it?

i am getting my 15000 mile service soon, and will mention it then.

-Nerf

·
Registered
424 Posts
HTRK-1 said:
There is a TSB for this that was released Jan. 2004 NTB04-011
Thanks for the info. Hopefully this is the fix. I'm going to print it out and bring it with me when the car goes in for it's 7500 mile service in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Copper, not that it would do much good, but why don't you engage the service dept in conversation and ask them to preorder the brake pads......

Of course another way would be for YOU to preorder the brake pads (The PN is in the TSB) and cancel the order the day you take the car in............:rolleyes:

Homer

·
Registered
424 Posts
hfelknor said:
Copper, not that it would do much good, but why don't you engage the service dept in conversation and ask them to preorder the brake pads......

Good idea. I think I'll swing by there this week. My dealer probably doesn't carry stock either. Please let us know if your squeal gets fixed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts