Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Have surfed the forums and the Web for a suitable solution to connect my iPod Mini to my newly acquired '05 Nissan Murano.

The Belkin FM Modulator does a poor job and the cassette adapter is worse.

As we don't have a satt button on the Oz (Downunder) version of the Murano so pickings were slim.

Here is a pic and link to something I found.

http://www.dension.com/icelink.htm

I am getting quotes next week, the guy who installed my Bluetooth Kit for my Sony Ericsson P900 put me on to it.

You will let you know how I go on price and installation

BTW has anyone installed an electric brake controller for towing. The Oz version of the MO has a Transmission cooler to cope with higher ambient temps and loads.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Hey Mate, Great to see you here....

I need to get back there, visit relatives. But the drive is murder!

Before you leap onto an FM modulator style, you should see if there's a connector on the back that may accept the Pac Audio adapter. It's the same one used for an outboard CD changer and it may work to give you direct audio in, instead of modulated FM which will have a reduced frequency response and lower dynamic range.

If you're not sure what to look for, just ask...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jaak

Yeah I considered that but assumed there would be no connector as it is a "in dash" 6 CD changer.

Here is a Pic.

Should we move this thread over to the Audio and Electronics ? As a newbie didn't realise there was one.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is great site by the way, I feel confident enough to tackle the Tow Bar install myself after reading some posts.

Some interesting points on the OZ spec Murano :-

1) Two Trim Levels - S or Ti
2) Auto Transmission included Cooler for Towing
3) No StatNav or colour screen available (boo hoo !)
4) We only have one trim colour - black ( no orange sigh !)

.... and they are selling like hot cakes here.

I have been an off road enthusiast for 20 years so it will be interesting to see how the MO goes on the BEACH (we can do that here with a permit on certain beaches) and formed trail work.

Have not read one review on off road ability other then some bottoming out probs with exhaust. I assumed the combination of Torque, Power and AWD should see for a reasonable beach machine

Here is a pic of where I live

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, moving the thread makes sense... So it's done!

As far as off roading goes, I think it's best to treat the Murano as a car with a bit better ground clearance. But you still have to look out for the CVT cooling scoop and exhaust system in the middle.

It's really meant as an on-road vehicle.

Sand? When the first Murano's were presented to the press, one of them went and got it stuck in the sand on a beach in California!

I don't know if it was the tires or his driving technique. (Or lack of!)

As far as the connector, in the past, many Nissans with single CD changers still had the connector for an external 6 CD changer. Does yours have a changer built in? (oops, just read more carefully this time... Still waking up as it's 6 am and I'm doing my morning email check...)

So if it doesn't have it (and I'd still be tempted to check) then the FM modulator is the next best way to get the audio in, without wires hanging out the front. (Cassette adapter)

I'm insanely jealous of your view....:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6am !!!?? that's an early start.

Pic might have been a wee bit misleading, it's the beach where I live but not exactly what I see from from our house.

We have a beach called Stockton 2 1/2 hours drive which I will take the MO up for on an excursion. Will drop the the Tyre Pressure to 16 or 17 PSI and see how it goes.

Will post some pics after the trip, plenty of traffic up there so I can be snatched out if it bogs.

The lighting mods threads are interesting, bright white lights in the cabin, yes please. Just looked at the Xenon against the parking light, the parking light has to go !

think I will tackle those after I have sorted the iPOd and DVD player and the rear roof mounted LCD monitor.

Here are some PICs of Stockton

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
That looks like fun!!!

I'll tell you right now, no heavy duty AWD for the Murano, as the transfer case can't take a lot of abuse. They've replaced mine already..

But if you just need to go from A to B (as opposed to seeing how much fun you can have) it's likely to make it. I don't really know how soft that sand is. Maybe keep it near the shore where the water makes it harder?

I'm no expert on driving in the sand, that's for sure. (Unless it's that white sand that falls in winter....)

I keep looking at the pictures and want to go!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jaak

Thanks for the tip, have just read some of the the threads in the problem forum so I am starting to worry.

Oz spec has a transmission cooler so maybe that will help or due you think it is not caused by heat build up.

Anyway think I will thrash it 'cause if it does not hold up I will sell it and get a Pathfinder as I can' t tow or do the beach in a car I don't have confiendence in. The rep assured me beach work was fine (sigh !!!) Not doing the beach is not an option.

Have got extended warranty to 160K's so if it does not fail initially I will be covered.

BTW how many months of the year do you have snow on the roads where you are. I do some alpine driving as well but our season is very short, roads are crap compared to North America so the AWD comes in handy.

·
5,244 Posts
G'day ekka,

nice to see someone form Downunder. I felt lonely here.....Where are you located? I used to live in Wollongong, NSW and good old Rocky, QLD.

Anyway, Murano is a great car but not for off-road driving. Then again I took Falcon and Magna to some places that I thought it was impossible for normal sedan to go to. So in that respect Murano, especially AWD is much better. I am not sure about the beach driving though. It might be difficult.

You mentioned Pathfinder, what about Patrol? If I remember it was a great car, competing with Toyota Land Cruiser.

PS. Nice pics, and the sky! You can see it only Downunder! Believe me, I do travel a lot and nothing compare to beautiful Oz sky. And of course beaches!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Kris

Patrol and the Landcruiser are a bit thirsty and too trucklike for me but are great cars for a round Australia trip. The Toyota Prado and Nissan Pathfinder are also very capable with very little modifications.

MO appealed as I do 400K's a week in the City. Don't really need a strong off road vehicle mainly looking for capability in :-

1) Formed trail work, gravel roads etc
2) Snow
3) Sand - accessing the beach. ( will leave the dunes alone)

As you can see I don't really need a locked up diff for this. I have already done some trail work and it hangs in there fine, it inspires confidence at speed as long as you keep away from the ruts.

You can bog anything on the beach if you try hard enough. As long as you have torque, 4WD, Tyres at 16-17 PSI ,reasonable ground clearance (Murano's will do) and some experience you are Ok.

I am more concerned about comments on the strength of the transmission.

Traveling on soft sand places strong demands on the gearbox and
engine. The motor should be OK because of the ample torque and power but the transmission will build up additional heat. (Should be no more load then towing the 1500kg it is speced too)

As I said before if the transmission can't hack it (even with the Oz spec transmission cooler) I will either trade it or swap my wifes car out for the beach and tow work. Hopefully failures on the CRV have improved over the 2003 release

Will let you all know how I go and post some pics. The MO is a truly enjoyable care to drive so I

Avalon is in Sydney but we do get down the snowy mountains on the NSW/VIC border.

Woolongong is a great drive and yes the Sky's are real blue here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...and a not so blue sky, looking forward to trying the MO in this stuff

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Snow! I've wondered about living in Oz (back to the roots) but worried I'd miss the snow. So it's great to see it there.

In Toronto, the snow can hit in Novemeber, but never sticks around until the latter part of December. January, February, March, we'll have it around and by April it's clearing up. Toronto's Latitude is slightly higher than Chicago and NY, so we get similar weather. It's almost guaranteed that I can ask my associates in Chicago for a weather forcast that day and see it here the next.

The furthest south part of the province of Ontario, which isn't too far from here, is about the same latitude at the northern most part of California. (Strange!)

You will be fine in the Murano in the sand, if you leave the dunes alone, but like I said, take it easy on the transfer case! Turn off the AWD if you're on a surface that's not slippery...:D

I take mine offroading, but more like rough fire roads, not creating new ones!

·
5,244 Posts
Hi ekka,

now I understand. I think you will be OK with the Murano and driving to the beaches. Just take it easy.

And I do know how enjoyable it is. I put 42k miles on it already loving every minute of it! The only thing I regret it the GPS but I have a portable one so is OK.

PS. How are the Ashes?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys

Ashes is a "sore point" at the moment along with Australia's losses in the Rugby and Leyton Hewitt bumming out in the semi's at the US Open. Oh well ! maybe the Sydney SWANs might win the Australian Rules Premiership.

Decided to order my cross bars from the U.S as the Nissan dealer wants $370 AUS for them, might pick up a few other things if I am paying freight.

Still snowing on the NSW VIC border at the moment, if I can get down there I will.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
howdy !!!

got a question for you ekka, the guy who installed the bluetooth kit for you, how did he do that?

did he use an MB-01 part to mute all sounds from the stereo and convert it to the cell phone ?

or just used the kit that sony sells ?

if he did used something like MB-01, i am sure he will be very happy to see the MO owners from north america ordering from him ...

so if possible please explain your connection !

and yea, toyota prado is an awesome off-road vehicle. i drove it in the deserts of southern pakistan and man that thing got some power !! ......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
G'day

Have not installed yet into the MO, was in a Rodeo

Are you saying there is no mute input for the Bose. I assume MB means mute button, what does -01 stand for ??

Attached is a wiring diagram for a similiar unit, when I pulled it out of the old car and I noticed the speakers wiring was in series with the speakers so I imagine this is what happens.

1) In normal mode Stero plays as normal
2) When dialling or recieving a call the Parrot control unit (via the speaker series connection) interupts the car stereo signal with it's own signal. You hear the dial commands and the call through the stereo system
3) When call is complete the parrot passes through the normal audio signal

So maybe you do not need a mute button or mute input

Let you know how I go when I install next week. Here is a link to a PDF

http://www.driveblue.com/download/fiches/3100_en.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jaak said:
That looks like fun!!!

I'll tell you right now, no heavy duty AWD for the Murano, as the transfer case can't take a lot of abuse. They've replaced mine already..

But if you just need to go from A to B (as opposed to seeing how much fun you can have) it's likely to make it. I don't really know how soft that sand is. Maybe keep it near the shore where the water makes it harder?

I'm no expert on driving in the sand, that's for sure. (Unless it's that white sand that falls in winter....)

I keep looking at the pictures and want to go!
Took the MO out on the Beach up at Port Macquarie and had some fun

Access was 250 metres of soft deep wheel rutted sand track and it was high tide with no hard pack to speak of. Drove it for about a Km and it did not bog. The front CVT air scoop ( Can't wait till I break it")was pushing sand on the wave mounds so I just kept it slow over anything other then a level surface.

The 7 '' of ground clearance won't allow you to go too far but with the extra lift (when you pump them up)of the poly air bags I put in at least the rear tow bag won't drag.

All in all I was pleased but I will continue to push it till the MO bogs it so I can guage it's limits.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hasaanbhutta said:
thanks for the reply.
but i was referring to something like this
Had the Dension ICE iPOd adaptor installed. A few notes :-

1) FM modulation is way better then the Belkin and iTrip with no drop outs
2) Still not as good as CD but it is very handy to have 900 Songs to choose from
3) Can reach the controls from the drivers seat
4) Leave the backlight on so it easier to see the menus
5) The iPOd is mounted on a hidden bracket (no holes drilled) on the left hand side of the H/U (cars are rigth hand drive in Oz)
6) Sound even on 30 is low so may have to adjust up somehow

There is a real console effect from the driver seat now with the H/U, Phone/ Parrot Bluetooth controls and iPod all within easy reach

·
Registered
101 Posts
ekka said:

Had the Dension ICE iPOd adaptor installed. A few notes :-

1) FM modulation is way better then the Belkin and iTrip with no drop outs
2) Still not as good as CD but it is very handy to have 900 Songs to choose from
3) Can reach the controls from the drivers seat
4) Leave the backlight on so it easier to see the menus
5) The iPOd is mounted on a hidden bracket (no holes drilled) on the left hand side of the H/U (cars are rigth hand drive in Oz)
6) Sound even on 30 is low so may have to adjust up somehow

There is a real console effect from the driver seat now with the H/U, Phone/ Parrot Bluetooth controls and iPod all within easy reach

Hi Ekka,

Are you installed the Dension ice Link FM in your MO? Believe the Singapore version of MO come with similar ver. of H/U as yours.The Nissan agent here will start delivering sometime towards end of the month.
I'm looking into iPod connectivity accessories now, which after market accessories best for MO factory installed H/U. Any input
will be great. Thanks.

Cheers..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts