Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi~ I have a new 05 MO w/ Leather that I bought last week. Should I do anything to condition/protect the leather right away or should there be a breakin period before I go slopping goo all over it?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I don't think it hurts to condition the leather.

Remember the time the car was made, stored, shipped, stored, show the elements have been at the leather.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i'd go ahead and condition it right away. at the detail shop, the leather conditioning is part of our protection package and the only thing it can do for the leather is moisturize it and make it more supple.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just make sure to stick with quality names likes Mothers or Meguiars........and be prepared for slippery seats for a few days as the leather will absorb what it needs, and the rest may need to be rebuffed with a dry soft cloth a day or two later.:2:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
will at my auto detailing job i came across a product made by Auto Glym. they make really awesome leather conditioner. we were conditoning the leather on a QX56 the other day and in an hour, all the conditioner was fully absorbed. talk about thirsty leather.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I've had good success using a leather "creme" conditioner called Lexol I think. Purchased it from Costco a few years ago and it comes with a bottle of glycerin based cleaner and the "creme" conditioner. I use it every few months.

I also bought some Armor All Leather Conditioning Cloths. I know a lot of people here don't like Armor All, but honestly I've been using their products for 15 years now and never once had a problem with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been using Lexol on an Audi A4 and will be using it on the 05' MO from now on. I apply the pH cleaner first followed by the leather conditioner. Works great

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the great info, all. First car w/ leather so I want to make sure it lasts a looong time.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I love this stuff http://www.leatherique.com/

Both the Pristine cleaner and the rejuvenator oil

Frank came by a few days ago to get the free air deflector and commented a couple of time as to how soft my leather was.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i've herd about that stuff but also herd that it's kind of expensive

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have been using Lexol for many years. I was first turned on to it by the detailer when I purchased my wifes C320 and have never looked back.

The cleaner and conditioner make for quick work. The best part is we don't slide off the seats onto the floor when she hits the brakes.

Whatever you choose, (there are other great products on the market) make sure it is Ph Neutral and had sunblock.

The other thing I use that is the Cats Meow is a California Duster. With one wipe it takes all the "White Specks" Off the black leather. Its worth every penny of the $9.99 it costs now. I have had mine for 5 years and its still like new.

·
4,994 Posts
nissanlove said:
i've herd about that stuff but also herd that it's kind of expensive
I have used them "ALL" and I literally mean that and in this case I got what I paid for!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
grip if it's good enough for you then i guess i might just have to try it out to soften up the leather. do you do the massage hand application as suggested on the website??

·
4,994 Posts
nissanlove said:
grip if it's good enough for you then i guess i might just have to try it out to soften up the leather. do you do the massage hand application as suggested on the website??
I bought the "Pristine" If you ask a bunch of questions about the "rejunivator oil" and comment about the price she will GIVE you a sample bottle for free.

I put it on with my hand in a slip-on rubber latex glove, ONLY to make the oil go further, not to protect my hand. It is great stuff, Also for leather furiniture in the home.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well, I just tossed them $45.00 for a set of products. Im hoping its as good as you / they say it is.

How long did you let it sit on the MO?
Did you turn on the seat heaters?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I received it in the mail yesterday and applied it to my front passenger seat around 11am and let it sit in the sun till around 5pm. It soaked in and did its thing. I followed up with the cleaner and let it set over night.

I cant say that its any softer then it was when I started but it added a great shine to the black leather. I followed up the rear seating last night and it seemed to soak in well even with the cool night temps. Ill let it set in the sun all day today and clean it this evening. Maybe the longer time will help to soften it up.

I am totally impressed with the cleaner product. I used it on all the inside plastic and leather (excluding the dash for now.) It gives the black interior a great wet look. Time will tell how long the look will last and how much dirt it will attract but it sure looks good. Once Im satisfied with the performance I will do the dash.

Thanks for turning me on to this product. Its at least as good as what I was using and may be better. If nothing else, The cleaner was worth the cost.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I had the same experience.
It worked OK at cleaning and conditioning .....but hardly worth the cost....in this case Zaino is just as good (and smells better) and is cheaper. Cheaper is a bit unusual for Zaino.

It did nothing for "softness".

I think a more fair test would be on 10 year old hard leather. It might work better there.

Anyway I have enough for the life of the car now :rolleyes:, and it works fine.

Homer

·
Registered
161 Posts
Till now I have used Lexol exclusively and have no issues with it. Im always looking for something better so thought I would try this other stuff.

I use the spray bottles. Most people will just spray it on and wipe it off with a soft towel. I like to spray on a genouris amount of the conditioner and hand rub it into the leather paying special attention to the seams. Ill let it absorb into the leather for as long as it take me to do the rest of the car then a quarter of football or NASCAR. Ill then use an absorbent cloth (Yellow MicroFiber Towels from Costco) to wipe and buff the seats off. I only use the cleaner if I happen to get a spill or spot that needs cleaning.

My wife isn't as anal as I am and gives the wipes to the guys at the car wash to use when she gets her car washed. They don't like to do it but a $5.00 tip helps them get over it. She does this 2 times a month or so.

I was originally turned onto Lexol from the Mercedes dealer. Its the recommended product from their service department.

·
Registered
470 Posts
FastEddy said:
I cant say that its any softer then it was when I started but it added a great shine to the black leather.

I am totally impressed with the cleaner product. I used it on all the inside plastic and leather (excluding the dash for now.) It gives the black interior a great wet look.
Thanks for the warning. The last thing I want is shiny leather and the wet look for the interior.

I have leather and don't find the leather hard at all but more glove like.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts