Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i am a new member and unlike most people in here, i do not own a murano, however i am shoping around and i have my eye close on the murano, test drove it and loved it!
However, murano is 3 years old and one thing that i worry about is the body; anyone know when they are going to re-design the car. Another thing, this rumour that CVT may cough up once reached 100k, any truth behind that?

Sorry if the questions were asked before.

Thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
Body redesign...It hasn't been said. It kinda depends on how well they sell before a manufacturer will change. Nissan seems to keep models for 6'ish years. That said - maybe 2008 they'll change. Dunno?

CVT. Some have failed early. Others have gone longer. Same goes with conventional transmissions. Sometimes you get lucky - sometimes you don't. Almond Joy's got nuts. Mound's don't.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Another thing, this rumour that CVT may cough up once reached 100k, any truth behind that?

You are talking to, what is it up to now 2800 or so members on the ORG that took a gamble on new technology. Some may say it is not new just redesigned or redefined. I must say we (the org) have had few, very few failures with the CVT. I would love to see a side by side chart of any SUV and a standard transmission vs the CVT.
I don't think there would be much difference.
My own theory was the lack of moving parts in the CVT would have it less likely to fail. That is my own opinion. So far, so good, I have no complaints with the CVT. I bought my MO 12/27/2003.

You are making a decision that we all had to make. We asked the same questions. We went for it but you'll have to decide.
Bob1

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
TinTin

Do you drive a lot?

How long till you get to that many miles?

Are you willing to buy the extended warranty?

Unless you really need it I would get a FWD only, less load on the Transmission, No transfer cast, etc. Less things to go wrong or break.

Personally, I would wait ( since you don't seem desperate to get a MO right this minute) for the 2006 to arrive. Things get better with experience, Designs, procedures, etc. The JATCO transmission will to.

IMO the MO is the most technology vehicle for the buck around, add the styling, outstanding ride for a "SUV" and it's a sure winner.

Hey this is getting me excited can't wait for the 2007.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
appreciate your responses guys.

i am going to be visiting a dealer this week to check out the car for a test drive, i remember driving it 2 years ago and was LOVING it, and tried to convince my brother to buy the car, but he had his eye on the FX, which is a nice car, but for some reason i prefer the MO over the FX any day!!!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Tintin

You are showing good taste and sense. I have driven both extensively.

In a nutshell, the FX is a beast, harder ride, More (moderately) go no CVT, feels cramped inside compared to the MO.

All my opinions only others may differ.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Tintin

Noting you are in Montreal I would suggest you get AWD. Halifax gets more than it fair share of the white stuff each winter and the MO's AWD kept me going on more than one occasion.

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, it's good in the snow and... Heated seats.:D

Transfer case could be better. If you're into a lot of heavy 4x4 work in the snow, it's not the right choice, but if you want a road based vehicle that does well through the winter, you'll like it.

I've driven on sheer ice past dozens of other drivers and vehicles, many 4x4, that were stuck or sliding into the ditch. If you have the skills, the Murano will be up to you.

The AWD is a little funky in how it kicks in, however. If you gas it in the snow on a corner, the front wheels slip, the rear kicks in, breaks loose and spins your back end out.

You have to either make sure you get VDC on it, or train yourself to be aware of it and use the AWD button when appropriate.

I believe they should have made VDC standard with AWD and then this would not happen.

Bear in mind, this is under aggressive driving conditions in bad weather. If you take it easy (reasonable and sensible thing to do) it won't be an issue. However, someone did say.... Montreal!;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
jaak said:

You have to either make sure you get VDC on it, or train yourself to be aware of it and use the AWD button when appropriate.

I believe they should have made VDC standard with AWD and then this would not happen.

I have mine since March, so I haven't tested it (Enjoyed it) in the snow yet... but now I'm a little upset that I didn't get the VDC. The colors and model on the lot didn't have it at the time, and I just thought, no biggie... do I really need it? DO I ? Would it make a big difference in the snowy months? Maybe I'm better off not knowing. :(

·
Registered
781 Posts
We have AWD without VDC and it hasn't been an issue if you drive sensibly. I have experienced what Jaak is talking about. With that said you'll notice this more with the foot on the gas going around a corner than a typical turn in which you aren't accelerating (when there's snow on the ground).

I've found the Murano straightens out real well if you ease off the gas. It is certainly something to experiment with before you need it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I highly recommend you get VDC - its one of the few options (other than NAV) that people regret not getting. And even though you won't need it 99.9% of the time, there will be those moments when VDC will prevent an accident or save your life.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no dealers here in montreal offer the non-AWD version. i mean if a person really wants it, nissan can get it for them, but in general ALL the MO SL and SE come AWD as standard in montreal, Quebec.

on out of topic news, anyone see the new Lexus IS, wow!!!
and it comes in AWD. just when i thought i was sold on the MO, here comes another car that caught my eye. though they are not in the same category, their prices are alike.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Eric L. said:
I highly recommend you get VDC - its one of the few options (other than NAV) that people regret not getting. And even though you won't need it 99.9% of the time, there will be those moments when VDC will prevent an accident or save your life.
GREAT... my life is in danger now !!

·
Registered
781 Posts
We didn't get VDC and don't regret it. I think people need to pay more attention to the world around them and learn to drive when conditions are poor.

I drive a car without ABS and airbags too.

Too many thoughts on the subject - too little time...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts