Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I've got some questions for you all.

My wife and I are looking at buying a 2017-20 Murano. The only experience I've had with a Murano is as a rental car that we drove for two weeks in 2015. We really liked it. That's why we're looking at them now. That being said renting a car is a lot different than long term ownership.

I was wondering what are some of things are that I need to look for when we're eyeballing the used units? I've also read stories about excessive oil consumption with the 3.5 engine. Is this still a problem with the newer models?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I currently drive a 2018 model and previously owned generation 1 & 2 models. Have never had any problem with oil consumption.

·
Registered
929 Posts
This only becomes an issue if the catalytic converters start to fail and crumble. Particles are sucked back into the engine, scoring the cylinder walls and increasing oil consumption.

Cats fail mainly due to age, about 150K+ miles and idling in excessive heat. Constantly filling up with an off brand gas is a known cause of premature cat failure, along with driving out of tune. Anything that causes a rich condition is causing damage to the honeycomb structure of the cat, causing it to break down prematurely and potentially being sucked back into the engine.

If you're smelling gas in the exhaust, the system is running too rich. Crappy gas doesn't burn well. A weak spark plug or a dirty air filter could also be the cause.

Running a premium gas and keep the engine properly tuned up will easily double the life of the cats. The little extra money spent now could save $1,200 - $1,600 in replacement of the cats over time.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I never had any oil consumption in my 2010 in 8 years. Was one of the best cars I have had. The only thing about the 2018 is to make sure the front radar unit has been replaced with the newer unit, other than that, it has been wonderful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We own a 2015. Beware of the transfer case in an AWD. It has a history of leakage. Had we known this, we would have bought the FWD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
New member here. I've got some questions for you all.

My wife and I are looking at buying a 2017-20 Murano. The only experience I've had with a Murano is as a rental car that we drove for two weeks in 2015. We really liked it. That's why we're looking at them now. That being said renting a car is a lot different than long term ownership.

I was wondering what are some of things are that I need to look for when we're eyeballing the used units? I've also read stories about excessive oil consumption with the 3.5 engine. Is this still a problem with the newer models?

Thanks in advance.
2015 AWD S 60k

coolant leak, dealer just refills since 45k dealer can’t find leak

replaced CVT at 49k miles

Replaced sway bar links at 55k, prob normal?

Replaced front wheel bearings at 59k, normal?

Now have more noise over bumps

power steering whining now, dealer says normal for this gen

Radio is awful, muddy, but base model

Somehow my S has nav and remote start,thats why I got it, but no new maps since 2017/18, and remote start works only 50 yards away and closer

my AC compressor is starting to get loud and feel up and down vibration When on.

front fender pops out at seams have to pop back in again on each side

requires brake fluid change every 30k

buying plastic clips is becoming normal to fix external panels popping off, especially under drivers front.

Now that I write this, maybe I have a lemon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Our 2015 SV has always had a power steering whine or whirring sound at idle..so has every other 3rd gen Murano I've heard.

We had our front wheel bearings replaced at 13,000 km and again at 58,000 km's. They replaced both sides each time. Almost 90,000 km's now and so far so good but yeah, there is or was an issue with front wheel bearings as our dealer said they changed a boatload of them early on, maybe the 2017's came with an upgraded bearing.

No other issues....no oil consumption or fluid leaking. CVT still feels perfect and engine performs great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts