Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the new owner of a 2003 MO SE with 51000 KM (35,000m?). Everything seems to be great with it, though the alternator went on it the other day...no big deal, it was just under warranty and it was a recall anyway.

Question 1: What do I need to do to maintain warranty?

I ask this because I did my 48,000KM service, they wanted to charge me almost $700, and the work they were performing didn't match with what was in the maintainance plan manual. I asked why all the difference, they said the the the manual was a recommended "guide". So, if it is only recommended, what do I have to do to comply to the terms of the warranty? Is it just do oil changes? I'm a little confused, I don't want to get ripped off, but I also don't want to void my warranty.

Question 2: I read the thread failed CVTs and I have to say, it scared the HELL out of me! The repair costs are insane! Should I be selling my Murano when the KMs get close to the warranty end date? I was really hoping to keep this thing for years. Does anyone know the failure rate for the CVT? Out of the 4000+ members here, 35 voted indicating that they have had a failed CVT, so I guess that isn't too bad.

Thanks for your help!
BCOT

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
BCOT-

Welcome to the MO forum.

Let's see if I can answer your questions....

#1 - The Service Manual lists two different maintenance levels (Schedule 1 and Schedule 2). The Service and Maintenance Guide lists three different levels - Premium, Schedule 1 and Schedule 2. Dealers will always try to sell you the Premium maintenance package because it contains more items to replace and inspect, and they can make more money from it. IMHO it is overkill.

You can save hundreds of dollars by doing the maintenance on your own or by going to a local garage or oil change center. Just save the receipts and record the date, mileage, and services performed in the Service and Maintenance Guide.

#2 - Yes, it is very expensive to replace a CVT tranny on a MO. Most failed units are replaced with new units. I do not believe there are any remanufactured units in the marketplace just yet.

The MO's CVT failure rate is on par with your more typical automatic transmissions. The failures get a lot of attention here, but that is what the forum is for. The CVTs are a big unknown. No one knows just how long they will last. 100K miles? 150K? 200K? Only time will tell. There is no reason to believe they will not survive over the long haul.

Enjoy your MO.

-njjoe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts