Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ExxonMobil just released a new version of Mobil One (called "Extended Performance) that has extra detergent and antiwear additives (aka "supersyn") in it, guaranteed for 15,000 miles or one year. No additional oil filter changes are required. Pretty cool.

Linky:
Mobil One

What does that mean for current Mobil One users? Not much. The current formulation, which is identical to the Extended version except for the quantity of additives, already exceeds the GF-4 extended change interval spec (the one used by manufacturers who use oil life monitors, and typically pushes it to 15k or more). You won't get any more protection from the Extended version, unless you take it to 15k.

This begs the question, does the extended version, with its 37% extra detergents compared to the normal version, clean the engine better? Maybe. But I suspect the detergents are there more for longevity than for more potent cleaning. Even back in the "tri-synthetic" days Mobil One kept engines remarkably spotless.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
As soon as I use up my current supply of free oil changes and on hand Mobil 1 that's for me. One less thing to do or at least less often. "So many toys so little time" to play. GRIP :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Since I've not switched my MO to synthetic yet (it will probably be at least 6-8 months before I hit 10,000 miles), and what you said above about how it already exceeds specifications for extended wear... what is a realistic interval for oil changes once I do make the switch?

It'll be every 3000 with standard oil until I hit 10K...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A realistic interval with Mobil One and a Nissan OEM filter would be 5000 miles with severe driving, maybe 7-8000 miles if you drive mainly highway. You can probably go more miles than that, but you might want to do an oil analysis above that mileage to make sure its ok (it should be).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts