Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lease on my wife's Mazda Tribute is coming to an end, so we've been looking to get her something new. Due to the extra miles she's driving on her new job a lease isn't really an option anymore, so I wanted to get something pretty nice that we could plan on keeping for a while. I absolutely love the Infiniti G35 I got for myself last summer, so the Murano was on my short list to look at (I just love that VQ engine). I also researched a few others (Toureg, X3, 4Runner), but kept coming back to the MO because it seemed to be the best value and the right combination of features, functionality, and styling to suit our needs. I never really considered the FX because frankly I think it's a bit ugly, and also more expensive and with less passenger space. I don't think we would have been happy with either the Toureg or the X3 in the base engine configuration, and upgrading to the higher trim level escalates the price pretty quickly, especially since those vehicles are new enough that they're not selling at a discount yet.

Anyway, we went to test-drive an SL on Saturday. The dealer actually had a model that was exactly what I wanted, with the only "extra" I didn't really care about being the wind deflector for the sunroof. So we ended up coming home with a Polished-Pewter/Caffe-Latte SL 2wd with the Touring Package, Navigation, and VDC for about $1200 over invoice. Maybe not quite as good of a deal as some people are getting, but good enough that I don't feel ripped off (Edmunds TMV was invoice + $1600).

My initial impressions are that it's a very nice SUV. The SL rides a bit softer than I would prefer; if it was my vehicle I would have gone with the SE, but for my wife the SL is a better fit. There is a little wind noise on the freeway, but it's not at all objectionable, and I was surprised at how little road noise there was, substantially less than my G35 (I guess mostly because of the differences in tires and wheels). Engine noise is also more muted than my G35, though we haven't really pushed the MO yet; I'm not sure I buy the notion of engine break-in, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Interior layout and features is great, I like the fact that it has all the goodies that my G35 has plus the addition of heated seats and adjustible pedals. I also like the integration of status info into the Nav display, and I'm glad to see that they used knobs where it makes sense (my biggest complaint with the G35's interior is the flat plastic buttons used for every control, even volume). Style-wise I'm not totally sure about the look of the guage cluster behind the stearing wheel, it looks a little bit tacked on but otherwise things seem to be logically laid out and attractively finished. The Murano isn't all that tall for an SUV, but I was surprised how high up you seem to be sitting, I guess because of the open dash area and forward-swept windshield. Back seat passenger room seems to be better than the competitors (at least, the ones we considered).

Only slightly disappointing thing with going Nissan over Infiniti is that warranty and service aren't quite as good. My wife's first oil change is free; with my G35 I get 2 years of free maintenance. Also with the miles my wife will be driving the 36K warranty wouldn't even last 2 years, so we got the extended warranty from Nissan to cover it up to 100K miles. Normally I think extended warranties for most products are a ripoff, but when it comes to cars not having warranty makes me nervous, especially as complicated as these vehicles are getting. Adding the warranty also dropped the finance rate substantially, so that helps cover the additional cost.

Oh, and I snapped a few pics yesterday, http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/murano

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Welcome to the club

Nice looking ride! Your wife should be very happy with her new car/truck/suv....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome to the club....I am sure your wife will enjoy it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome guys. So far the wife is really enjoying it, makes that 50-minute commute a little more bearable.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Enjoy!

Look's great Jeff, mine same color. Put that puppy in the garage.
Welcome.
Bob1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts