Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got all OEM tires replaced...$508 installed....those tire people are like crooks...I saw the ad on the websites for $102 each. I printed out the ad and before showing them...they told me $144 each...woah ....but they did honor the website ad...my MO was at 40K...I drive on the highway most of the time...the old tires had some meat on it...may be another +5k miles....but since they had a good deal on the new tires...i decided to replace them.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Somebody had Goodyear Eagle 235.65/18s????

Not a bad deal at all.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If that is the price installed, then you got a pretty fair price. I recently paid almost $30 each to get tires installed at a speed shop (did it for peace of mind that they would not break the tire pressure sensors).

I have another question if you do not mind. A few owners here have noted that the Eagle LS's performance deteriorates as the tire ages. Do you notice that the *new* tires perform any better than your worn out old ones in terms of dry handling and road comfort? I would expect of course, that wet handling would improve due to deeper grooves from new tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric L. said:
If that is the price installed, then you got a pretty fair price. I recently paid almost $30 each to get tires installed at a speed shop (did it for peace of mind that they would not break the tire pressure sensors).

I have another question if you do not mind. A few owners here have noted that the Eagle LS's performance deteriorates as the tire ages. Do you notice that the *new* tires perform any better than your worn out old ones in terms of dry handling and road comfort? I would expect of course, that wet handling would improve due to deeper grooves from new tires.
Yup, I notice that it rides smoother with the new tires.

Cost of each:
Tire: $102
Dis. Fee: $2
Labor: $12
Shop Material: $0.25
Tax: 7%

BTW...They put valve stems charges to my bill ($2.25/each) . Was that necessary ?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
PhongZ said:

Yup, I notice that it rides smoother with the new tires.

Cost of each:
Tire: $102
Dis. Fee: $2
Labor: $12
Shop Material: $0.25
Tax: 7%

BTW...They put valve stems charges to my bill ($2.25/each) . Was that necessary ?
Yeah new valve stems are normally part of the service.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
PhongZ said:

Did you have TPMS?

·
4,994 Posts
Doest it still work after they replaced stems?

Grip.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
From my experience, yes. I had my stems replaced recently, but asked them to reuse the stem caps. TPMS functions just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Re: Doest it still work after they replaced stems?

PhongZ said:

TPMS still works...who knows if they even did anything to it...guess I paid $10 for nothing ?
Not really. The stem can be replaced, but its suggested that the metal cap be reused since it functions as a sort of antenna for the wireless transmitters.

·
4,994 Posts
I used the pressure indicating Caps Work Great

However replacing a stem stopped it from working and the original stem had to be reinstalled into the wheel and then it worked again.

All this happened when the 04 was traded for the 05

Curious and curious.

Grip.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: I used the pressure indicating Caps Work Great

GripperDon said:
However replacing a stem stopped it from working and the original stem had to be reinstalled into the wheel and then it worked again.

All this happened when the 04 was traded for the 05

Curious and curious.

Grip.
I don't know then. FSM does not state that original stems have to be reused, so I assume they can be replaced. Either that, or my shop charged me $7 for the stems (4 of them) and did not change anything.

You had so few miles on both your MOs, when did you ever change tires?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
THat's a nice article about the Cadillac TPM system Eric.
Good pix and all.
I have a little bit better understanding of what the system is made of now.

Is it just me, or is the Cadillac system superior to the Nissan system????

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hfelknor said:
THat's a nice article about the Cadillac TPM system Eric.
Good pix and all.
I have a little bit better understanding of what the system is made of now.

Is it just me, or is the Cadillac system superior to the Nissan system????

Homer
Not sure what you mean by superior, but they both seem to perform the same function. Its true that the Murano's "low" warning comes on sooner (at 26-27psi, or when the tire is 20% below the recommended 33psi), but SUV's are most at risk for rollovers, so better safe than sorry.

At least our TPMS shows the individual tire pressures (there would be no way to show which tire is which wheel though, since the tires are rotated on a regular basis and I would hate to have to have it programmed at a dealership each rotation). The Subaru link I posted appears to only have a warning light.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I guess I thought the Cadillac system was pretty easy to reprogram using the key fob and that little magnet.
Seems like any owner could reprogram the system and always know exactly which tire was reporting low......
And does the Nissan system show you Battery condition of the sensors?

I haven't heard anything lately, but there WAS an attempt to make it mandatory that all cars have a TPM.
heard anything about that lately?

Homer

·
4,994 Posts
Re: Re: I used the pressure indicating Caps Work Great

Eric L. said:

I don't know then. FSM does not state that original stems have to be reused, so I assume they can be replaced. Either that, or my shop charged me $7 for the stems (4 of them) and did not change anything.

You had so few miles on both your MOs, when did you ever change tires?
When ones from the 04 were moved to the 05, That was when it occurred. The dealer wouldf not do it so I had to take it to Discount.

Grip

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I am not clear what you all are referrng to as "stems". When my tire dealer replaced/charged for stems (pre TPMS days), the whole rubber assembly was replaced. This is a non applicable for TPMS, which uses a complete unit which bolts into the "stem" hole. If you are referring to the valve core (the little metal spring loaded assembly which screws into the stem), I don't see any need to replace that. It is a generic part anyway. To charge to replace the core is patently ridiculous.
Nissan TPMS does not have a replacement battery, so there is no reason to check it.
I hope that this clears up the terminology issue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts