Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from AutoZone - picked up an oil filter for today’s oil change. I always use Mobil1 filter so when I got out there today there was a surprise – a new design from Mobil. Price - $9.95 + tax. It seems that they improved performance or so they claim. Now I can extend oil change intervals to 7k miles without worries.

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the performance data

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked the AMSOIL. This is from their site - efficiency 98.7%. Mobil claims 99.2%. Not sure who to trust.....

Anyway, both appear to be good filters

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris said:
Just checked the AMSOIL. This is from their site - efficiency 98.7%. Mobil claims 99.2%. Not sure who to trust.....
Without knowing the testing criteria, it would be like comparing apples to oranges.

I am sure both are great oil filters and are more than adequate for the job. Are they better than the NISSAN oil filters? IMHO, most likely.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
njjoe

if you look at photos there is description of tests:

Mobil:
Milti-pass effficiency - SAE test J858
Contaminants Storing Capacity - SAE test HS806

AMSOIL:
Filter Efficiency @15 Microns as per ISO 4548-12

So I guess we are comparing apples and oranges........maybe somebody has access to these standards...

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK find the following:

Test HS806 (SAE standard test) - single pass efficiency rating.

Test J858 (SAE standard test) multi-pass efficiency rating - Mobil shows results for particles larger than 20 microns.

Test ISO 4548-12 multi-pass efficiency rating. AMSOIL shows results for particles larger than 15 microns.

Still difficult to compare the results. However, I would like to see filter stops small particles. So the AMSOIL filter seems a winner here. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I go 10K miles between oil changes. Change the filter at 5k miles, add makeup oil from disposed filter. That replenishes the additvie package. I've been doing this with both my Mo's plus all the other cars I've had in the last 15+ years with no problems.

Regular 'ol Purolator filter is plenty fine. Remember, for many years, engines had no oil filter at all on them and they ran the better part of 100k miles with inferior design and materials as compared to today.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NCtravellinman

Interesting post. I remember that European and Australian car manufacturers recommended changing oil and oil filters every 10,000km (roughly 6,300 miles) years ago. I used to own a Mitsubishi Magna and normal oil change interval was 15,000 km (9,300 miles) without changing oil filter!

I believe that using Mobil1 oil and filter we could easily go 10,000 miles without adverse effect on the engine. However, changing it as per manufacturer recommendation makes sure we have no problems with warranties……it is a sort of cheap insurance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts