Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

First murano, long time mechanic (shadetree and copart rebuilds).

I just got a 2006 murano S with 100k for my wife.

Replaced the pads, rotors, calipers, oil pan, ac comp and alternator to get it road worthy, we got it for next to nutton. Then maintance items, plugs, fluids, etc. Also the whole exhaust from cats back.

Two issues im chasing.

Oil consumption. I fixed all outer leaks and replace the PCV valve when i did plugs. Still goes through over a qt ever 1000 miles. Wofe says she smells exhaust at idle. Not handy in the winter. I am not convinced its exhaust, but oil vapors.

Also. The right side trans output seal is dripping on the exhaust slowly (found inbetween trans case and cvt)

I recently did a motor and trans swap on a different murano for a customer. I think i can get the seal without engine removal. Has anone done this?

Every once in a while on take off i hear a ratcheting noise. Is that low cvt fluid?

No lights or error codes in any module.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,098 Posts
Hey all.

First murano, long time mechanic (shadetree and copart rebuilds).

I just got a 2006 murano S with 100k for my wife.

Replaced the pads, rotors, calipers, oil pan, ac comp and alternator to get it road worthy, we got it for next to nutton. Then maintance items, plugs, fluids, etc. Also the whole exhaust from cats back.

Two issues im chasing.

Oil consumption. I fixed all outer leaks and replace the PCV valve when i did plugs. Still goes through over a qt ever 1000 miles. Wofe says she smells exhaust at idle. Not handy in the winter. I am not convinced its exhaust, but oil vapors.

Also. The right side trans output seal is dripping on the exhaust slowly (found inbetween trans case and cvt)

I recently did a motor and trans swap on a different murano for a customer. I think i can get the seal without engine removal. Has anone done this?

Every once in a while on take off i hear a ratcheting noise. Is that low cvt fluid?

No lights or error codes in any module.
You shouldn't have to pull the motor to replace the output shaft seal. I believe the standard procedure is to drop the subframe a few inches so you can slide the transfer case out. See below for the link to the factory service manual.

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

On the oil consumption--that's a lot of oil to burn through in such a short time. I would think the exhaust would be smoky or otherwise show signs of excessive oil consumption. What did the old spark plugs look like? Even though the engine has very low mileage for the age of the car, perhaps the previous owner was really lax on PM?

What do you mean by "ratcheting noise"? Did it sound like it was coming from inside the motor? I believe some of the earlier VQ35 generations had issues with the timing chain tensioner--maybe put a mechanic's stethoscope on the timing chain cover and see if it's noisy.

As far as the CVT is concerned, the usual sound complaints are a whining noise, Was the CVT fluid low?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Regarding the ratcheting noise, check and service the fluid in your transfer case if you haven't already...

The transfer case only holds 5/8 pint (a little more than a cup) of gear oil. If there are any signs of seeping around the seal, it could be dangerously low...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooo, maybe its not the trans output shaft seal, maybe its the input seal on the transfer case.

Either way, its a fun day of work. I got the FSM off of emanualsonline.com, said to drop transaxle assy. I took the last one out the top, removed rad support, much easier if you dont have a lift.

I cant remember the state of the plugs, was a month or two ago.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ooo, maybe its not the trans output shaft seal, maybe its the input seal on the transfer case.

Either way, its a fun day of work. I got the FSM off of emanualsonline.com, said to drop transaxle assy. I took the last one out the top, removed rad support, much easier if you dont have a lift.

I cant remember the state of the plugs, was a month or two ago.

Thanks everyone!
If whatever is leaking out smells like gear oil then it's the transfer case side. CVT fluid has a distinct odor (it smells similar to Prestone's Asian PS fluid although funkier). Nevertheless, there's no doubt which is which.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
...I took the last one out the top, removed rad support, much easier if you dont have a lift.
You were able to get the engine w/ CVT together out the top? Engine compartment is very tight space. Where did you attach your hoist chains?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. I think i used a bolt hole near the alt and a lift point on the trans near the rear. I dont remember exactly. I was able to sneak it out, the oil filter had to come off and the cvt side filter assy was strapped to the top of the trans.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Probably oil starvation? It holds very little amount. If there is a leak that’s ignored, it could potentially run low to dry and fail. On the flip side you could cause it to fail by engaging the AWD button on dry road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts