Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my Murano on 12/30. I am wondering what everyone recommends for initial maintenance. Do I need to change the oil the first time at 500 or 1000 miles. I know the system has a notification for 3750, but just curious what the initial should be. In addition, what other maintenance should I do since its a new vehicle.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Lots of controversy over doing those early oil changes. I assume you are buying into the theory that there are lots of metal bits floating around in that oil from a new engine. Then there is the contrasting legend that engines come from the factory with some sort of magic 'break in oil' that should be left in until the first oil change.

Despite all this, the factory recommends an oil change no sooner than 3750. I think this is perfectly reasonable. There really isn't much else to do. Make sure your wheel alignment is good, tire pressures are OK (including spare). Other than that, just enjoy it.

Also, not to be too obvious, but if you keep your car for 2-3 years like many people, you are really changing the oil for the next owner. By this I mean, even if you changed the oil every 7,500 or (perish the thought) 10,000 miles, by the time this supposed 'neglect' manifested in engine wear the car will have long been out of your posession. Frequent oil changes, unfortunately, won't prevent most of the failures in modern cars (electrical, body). That is not to say you shouldn't check your oil LEVEL of course.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It is not necessary to change the oil earlier than recommended. But it won't hurt the engine if you do. Just make sure you let the engine break in on normal oil (5000 miles is a good mark) before switching to synthetic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts