Nissan Murano Forum banner

New Owner Post:Need help with 2006 odometer while car is off, backup camera display black screen unresponsive to control buttons

5K views 76 replies 4 participants last post by  MuranoSL2003 
#1 ·
How do you check the mileage on a 2006 Nissan Murano SL while the car is off? And the text below might explain why random trip button presses to see the odometer beared no fruit when the car was off.

Also I recently had the battery drain and computer reset and I am driving now since the first time I could crank it. Back up camera screen is blank, none of the keys to control the screen and is unresponsive. Tried to engage day and night modes to see if that was the issue of the screen being too light or dark. No response from the screen. Screen was functioning normally with no issues before the battery drained. No radio controls are working either. For example I have a cassette to aux tape cassette loaded in the head unit when the battery drained. Now it will not eject.

Please don't tell me this is going to be another super expensive repair??? I know this group can save me!! If not it's there anything aftermarket I could put in it's place. That is regarding the display screen that plays the backup camera. Fan is also stuck on and I cannot control any climate controls. As I am typing this I am freaking out because basically all my controls are now inoperable. Please send help. This screen in starting to think it's super important and I better not replace it! In haven't checked fuses but the buttons do have illumination. I will check them during lunch break if there is no other solution but take it to the dealership. :(

First time Murano owner here(2006 SL) and I'm loving it. Great thing about these cars is there is a glut of good cheap parts. When I had to dump money in repairs the mechanic was surprised we were able to get the parts so easily. Same here when I needed things like left sun visor, headrests etc. They were reasonably priced and shipped fast and were available. Only thing that I kinda got shafted for was the upper engine cover because my Nissan emblem was missing; a common problem it seems even the covers without a emblem . A little under 100 bucks with shipping with individual ones no where to be found. Granted I only found a grand total of 2 for sale on the net but me and the kiddos will be hunting at my local junk yard for prizes this weekend baby!!!

I should be around quite a bit as I keep trying with my now most favorite automobile ever. I hope I can easily fix these issues I am having.

Thanks in advance,

Imhotep

See less See more
#2 ·
The first thing to do in this case is to get the battery fully charged. If you don't have a charger, get one, or have a shop charge it. (It's cheaper to buy a decent one and be able to use it for years...)

Muranos go nuts when the battery is low. You didn't mention charging it or replacing the battery, so I must assume you haven't done either. If that's true, how did you get it started??

Get a good battery charge or replace the battery and let us know what happens. If the battery is over 3-4 years old, it's automatically suspect.

#5 ·
Me and the wife are going through a bitter divorce and she would not crank her car up for me to jump mine. Causing me to have to wait hours for roadside assistance to come to my driveway me being exhausted and 3am Monday morning I let it idle for 30 minutes then called it a day. Not the best way to charge it up but on my other cars who lacked on the bells and whistles it worked fine. And granted to get my smokes this morning it is a 2 mile round trip so no substantial charging was done this morning either. I was planning on getting a new battery anyway before it drained and this event derailed my plans. It is definitely getting replaced ASAP after work. Thanks a bunch for helping me out on this one!

Imhotep

#3 ·
How do you check the mileage on a 2006 Nissan Murano SL while the car is off? And the text below might explain why random trip button presses to see the odometer beared no fruit when the car was off.

Also I recently had the battery drain and computer reset and I am driving now since the first time I could crank it. Back up camera screen is blank, none of the keys to control the screen and is unresponsive. Tried to engage day and night modes to see if that was the issue of the screen being too light or dark. No response from the screen. Screen was functioning normally with no issues before the battery drained. No radio controls are working either. For example I have a cassette to aux tape cassette loaded in the head unit when the battery drained. Now it will not eject.

Please don't tell me this is going to be another super expensive repair??? I know this group can save me!! If not it's there anything aftermarket I could put in it's place. That is regarding the display screen that plays the backup camera. Fan is also stuck on and I cannot control any climate controls. As I am typing this I am freaking out because basically all my controls are now inoperable. Please send help. This screen in starting to think it's super important and I better not replace it! In haven't checked fuses but the buttons do have illumination. I will check them during lunch break if there is no other solution but take it to the dealership. :(

First time Murano owner here(2006 SL) and I'm loving it. Great thing about these cars is there is a glut of good cheap parts. When I had to dump money in repairs the mechanic was surprised we were able to get the parts so easily. Same here when I needed things like left sun visor, headrests etc. They were reasonably priced and shipped fast and were available. Only thing that I kinda got shafted for was the upper engine cover because my Nissan emblem was missing; a common problem it seems even the covers without a emblem . A little under 100 bucks with shipping with individual ones no where to be found. Granted I only found a grand total of 2 for sale on the net but me and the kiddos will be hunting at my local junk yard for prizes this weekend baby!!!

I should be around quite a bit as I keep trying with my now most favorite automobile ever. I hope I can easily fix these issues I am having.

Thanks in advance,

Imhotep
How many miles are on it? What caused the battery to drain?

The battery and electric system needs to be performing correctly for everything to run... Make sure the battery terminal posts are totally free of corrosion, clean, and snug. Also have both the battery and alternator load tested to be sure they are performing correctly. Places like AutoZone will do this for free.

What repairs have you done so far?

#4 ·
Sitting at 156,858 miles at the moment.

Well full disclosure before it drained I was going to replace it because it looked like a piece of crap. But no signs of any electrical problems at all before the battery drained. I was putting in a k&n engine air filter and it was giving me trouble believe me or not. Pro Tip: if you have a bigger air filter than usual disconnect the top of the filter box and then attempt to close it up, because if you don't it will not fit in and you will spend 2 hours doing a 10 minute install. I was listening to my music like a teenager during what I thought would and that's how I drained the battery, that Bose system knocks though!!! In frustration I ignored my the various warning beeps the car was giving me before everything shut down. Funny you mention the battery may be the issue because the same beeping happened again this morning as I got out the car at the gas station to get my smokes. Screenshots of my repair list are attached. And believe me she needed every bit of it, before the car was riding dangerously loose now the steering is nice and tight and rides like a dream. I got the car for a steal because she had been horribly neglected and needed some TLC. I will test first, get a new battery after work today regardless, and pray the alternator is fine. I was hoping for a reset or button press solution that I was missing, so damn this may be a major problem. Let me know if you have any other ideas, I'll keep you posted on the testing and the aftermath with a new battery regardless if everything tests clean. And I will try to Google-Fu the heck out of this problem to see what I could find. Included a picture of the battery with terminals it looks a little bad but I have drove around no problem with a lot worse in other cars, to not like that is a good thing. Thanks again and I hope I or anyone else can figure this **** out.

:/

Imhotep

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
I would clean those battery terminal clamps with a wire brush prior to installing the new battery.

1/2 hour of charging when idling isn't even close to what a modern computer controlled car requires... If it ever happens again, put on a battery charger to bring it up to a full charge.

You're doing the right thing by getting your recently purchased Murano serviced for fluids, etc.

Was the air conditioner not working? I see work was done on it...

I recommend having a CVT drain and fill done by a competent mechanic. Also, if it's an AWD model, have the transfer case fluid replaced. Both items can be a weak point...

Some 1st gen Muranos experience front and rear subframe corrosion. Tap on all areas to be sure it's solid... They should have done this as part of your comprehensive used car inspection, but I would check myself to be sure...

Reactions: ValiantCM
#8 · (Edited)
I would clean those battery terminal clamps with a wire brush prior to installing the new battery.

1/2 hour of charging when idling isn't even close to what a modern computer controlled car requires... If it ever happens again, put on a battery charger to bring it up to a full charge.

You're doing the right thing by getting your recently purchased Murano serviced for fluids, etc. Inspecting it myself before purchase be was

Was the air conditioner not working? I see work was done on it...

I recommend having a CVT drain and fill done by a competent mechanic. Also, if it's an AWD model, have the transfer case fluid replaced. Both items can be a weak point...

Some 1st gen Muranos experience front and rear subframe corrosion. Tap on all areas to be sure it's solid... They should have done this as part of your comprehensive used car inspection, but I would check myself to be sure...
Thanks for your vote of confidence on my choices to make the repairs I did. It was horrific looking at the neglect put on her. The A/C was blowing warm air and nothing else. Turns out the o rings placed in the A/C compressor were not the right ones for the job and was making it leak so new rings and a top off refrigerant and she is blowing ice cold, hell yeah. LOL! I actually am going to check that post out it seems legit by the title. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!!

#7 · (Edited)
Definitely clean up the POS lead and connections (and hope for the best) and replace the NEG lead that grounds to the frame and a CVT bracket below the battery tray. Yours looked somewhat similar to mine (only much worse) before I cleaned it with baking soda and a toothbrush and brass brush. That old NEG cable gave the car starting issues.

Refer to this thread...

#10 ·
So just leaving AutoZone got a new battery but it was too late I install it. Looked at fuses and while I did not check them all I checked the ones that were indicating power. So a 15a -- RR Power Socket fuse was blown and I replaced it. No affect on the display it was still Black. Did a Google search and one of the first results was basically what happened to my dear Murano to this point.

The solution they came up with was to reset the system and how they did it is they took the terminals off and touched them together for a few minutes. And residual energy blah blah blah, it works after connecting everything up now. So I guess when I go back to the Zone tomorrow I have the store clerk do this before he drops the new battery in. That's plan A. It is just this procedure seems I dunno, dangerous? Basically because I don't understand it. But hey off to home and then back to the office to research more.

Please if anyone has a answer or even a good opinion to any of my questions above. I want to hear from YOU!! 🤪

Thanks for everyone's time and reading.

Blessed be,

Imhotep

#11 ·
Oh and the battery was good, charge at 100 percent, starter good, alternator good, still bought the best battery they had to put in tomorrow because it's super cheap and you get what you pay for in my opinion, most of the time at least.

#13 ·
I thought you mentioned this battery was run down to dead, then only charged with 30 minutes of idling... How much more driving did you do before having it tested and showing it's 100% charged? Also, did they tell you it's current capacity? Capacity diminished with age, and with being run down to dead... How old was it?

#19 ·
I recommend getting the Android app CVTz50. It can read both engine and CVT error codes to add to your DIY toolkit. Most scanners cannot read Nissan CVT error codes.

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the address Cyro I will be referencing this thread for months to come.

Now for the bad news.

Taking the clamps off the battery posts off did not work(kept off at least 20 minutes+). I still have no display screen, no radio/CD/cassette, and no climate/fan controls also my awd lock button is broken(actually it is sunken in, the button still functions!!).

Sigh this is not a good thing or a good day I guess I am going to the mechanic first thing in the morning... Sigh I can't afford this....

EDIT: AWD lock button not broken just sunken in it still works!! If anyone has the link on good to take the center console apart so I can reset the button let me know. I could not find it.

#25 ·
Thanks for all the address Cyro I will be referencing this thread for months to come.

Now for the bad news.

Taking the clamps off the battery posts off did not work(kept off at least 20 minutes+). I still have no display screen, no radio/CD/cassette, and no climate/fan controls also my awd lock button is broken(actually it is sunken in, the button still functions!!).

Sigh this is not a good thing or a good day I guess I am going to the mechanic first thing in the morning... Sigh I can't afford this....

EDIT: AWD lock button not broken just sunken in it still works!! Clues getting
From you initial description it sounds likes your head unit is totally non-responsive with no lights and buttons don't work. Have you tried seeing if the head unit has power going to it using a VOM?

My '03 had the same issue with the AWD button sinking down into the console after a Nissan repair... It seems prone to doing that for some reason...

#26 ·
If possible, try to have someone jumpstart your car using jumper cables. If you've already cleaned up the battery posts but have not removed and cleaned the NEG cable ends where they ground to the chassis and CVT bracket (you really should just replace that cable...it looks hard and corroded), then you haven't really done everything you can do to try to correct the problem yourself. By having someone else jumpstart your car using cables, you're effectively using their car as a ground, which will somewhat override any poor grounding issues you may have that are preventing certains aspects of your car from working. However, once the jumper cables are removed, your grounding system is on its own again and subject to whatever problems exist with it. Jumping it is simply a test.

You could also just use a pair of jumper cables and ground the NEG side to a different part of your car, but unless you clamp onto something that's not painted and have really good grounding contact, that process might not tell you much.

#29 · (Edited)
I did not do any cleaning if the battery cables or change them they really don't look that bad at all and everything else is working great I even have lights on the non working buttons!!!! I can't afford someone to pay for that now especially now that I haven't been able to find my wallet for a week I would have to wait for new cards to come after the holiday, maybe I can get the credit cards expedited no idea....

Regarding a jump. I don't have any one to help me jump. I did buy a jumper box though I do have on deck. So try to jump it? I am going to remove the negative use the restroom and reconnect and see what I got. And to your guys point the positive us a little janky when it comes to be the clamp but it cracks up runs and drives with nothing else wrong. I really doubt it's the cables but if nothing else works I'm sure I'll get to changing them out eventually. Positive thoughts... Positive thoughts....

EDIT: AWD lock button not broken just sunken in it still works!! If anyone has the link on good to take the center console apart so I can reset the button let me know. I could not find it.

EDIT 2: On a good note I got 2 extra keys made for my girl. Cost me 160 bucks which was 40 bucks cheaper than my best quote of a "deal" of 100 bucks a key at 200. This included the blanks in the key fobs cut as well. So if you prior want to save money get your blanks off eBay and then then get keys made without my original and the blanks I was getting quotes for 700-900 bucks.

If there is anyone else living in the SE Denver/Centennial/S Aurora area I would be happy to pass along the number they are cheap and fast, and good!!

EDIT 3: Going to to use the key from the key fob now. Seeing if that makes a difference, and a you tube video is telling me to turn it to accessories first(key back instead of forward first).

EDIT 4: Turning the key back on this car is not a thing... Jesus.... Back to disconnecting. Wish me luck!

EDIT 5: Took 2 pics after disconnecting. As you can see. It is not terrible at all. Positive is not clamping super tight but, come on!!!

Ok here goes nothing disconnecting the negative.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Personally, I would avoid jumpstarting a modern computer controlled car unless it's an emergency situation where you can't wait for the battery to charged or be replaced.

Yes, it can be done, but can risky if not done properly... A transient voltage voltage spike car zap computer modules, ECU, etc...

If you do jumpstart, follow the owner's manual procedure carefully. From my '19 owner's manual:
Font Screenshot Document Number Publication

Font Material property Parallel Line art Illustration

Reactions: PaulDay
#30 ·
Speaking from firsthand experience your neg cable has exceeded its reliable usefulness and really should be replaced. It's not too tough to change out and it will provide far better grounding that what you currently have. Just because most things work doesn't mean your system is solid. And that you're still having random issues could easily be due to that cable. I would've replaced the neg cable before buying spare keys or even a battery. But that's me... The battery and pos and neg cables are the heart of your system at the first stage. Time for a transplant. You replaced the heart but still have a clogged artery that will still provide blood but not as much or as well as it should.

Reactions: PaulDay
#31 ·
Gotcha yes at this point trying that would be my only option. I sent off for a quote to change positive and negative cables. We will see how much it costs....

After this cigarette I am going to reconnect the negative and see if she does anything.

#32 ·
As a quick test I would drive to Wal-Mart and buy a basic $10 neg cable and connect one end to the neg post and find a good groundng point to bolt the other end to. That should help conclude if the neg cable is causing any of your problems. That is the absolute easiest thing I could think to try.

#33 ·
Listening to the screams from Facebook and Craigslist saying to check engine bay fuses I relented. And I found a blown 15A audio fuse that was DONEZO!!!!!! Hope I have a replacement if not then off to the AutoZone I go!! Wish me luck!!

Attachments

#34 ·
Ok finally got the kids in the car and made it to AutoZone. I had a hard time starting the car..... Trying to tighten the positive it sort of.. fell apart? For lack of a better word. And is super friggin loose now. So I am going to pick up fuses and terminal for the positive. That might be something I can change myself? It looks simple enough.... Ok let's see if this works!

#35 ·
Yay all the problems are solved! Woke up with one problem kinda created 2 more. And just fixed all 3. And the major issue was a .50 cent 12A ATM fuse the entire time...😆. One full night and morning/afternoon later....😅. All fixed!! Now to get these kids some food head home and relax!!

Hey guys do you know how to see the mileage on the odometer when the car is off???? 😜 Seriously though...

#38 · (Edited)
Happy holidays to all!!! So from the silence is it pretty much group gives concessions that you cannot check your total mileage if the 2006 Nissan Murano SL is turned off?? I am going to try again this morning with pressing the trip button(pic attached) and have me a cigarette wish me luck!!!!

#39 ·
You want what you want the way you want it, but I'm not understanding exactly why it's wanted in that particular way. Why not just turn on the ignition which will then show the odometer reading? Is this just more of a curioisty of how, or is there some practical, functional reason you don't want to have things powered on? My 2003 gauge cluster looks different than yours, so maybe there's something about the info you're trying to see that I'm simply not understanding.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003
#41 · (Edited)
I would but necessarily say it isn't the way I want it in particular. And I'm not interested in derailing the thread defending that line of thinking. Every single car I owned you could do this without the key.

I'm confused about what exactly your not understanding...Let me clarify but staying stating a observation of mine, in 💯 percent of the American cars I've owned have this feature. (10+ total no flex I have problem). This is the second foreign car I have owned, first was a Honda that had the black stick button below the odometer. Makes me wonder is this a American thing?? You can also use this button/stick/rod it to change the car to track between trip A and B miles. Or if you're like me and you like to track fuel level through mileage, mpg, and miles to the tank. In my 2006 SL it can do all of the above EXCEPT see total mileage when the car is off and the battery is good(still stores it when battery dies though, hmm would you have to pull the computer on a Murano to get this information without the key???) 🤔

I can think of a few real life situations and potential circumstances where this is useful. I.E. When getting a inspection or oil change and the lube tech or inspector needs to know mileage, odometer readings to DMV that gets passed to the CarFax, homicide and suicide situations in the field where you are trying to figure out how far the suspect or victim traveled in the car, car repairs where they ask you how many miles are on the car after you already gave up the keys to the other person, insurance adjusters after a accident or theft; in all of these situations the person who needs this information may or may not have a key to the vehicle. I could go on but I'm just trying to help you understand and clear up that confusion. Also "I don't know." Is also an appropriate reply. 😂

Imhotep.

EDIT: You say the 2006 looks different from the 2003, can you check the mileage of the 2003 when it is turned off or no? I would be curious if this was that true of most Nissan's and Murano's. 😆

#43 ·
Also does anyone know what this attached button does??(pic attached) I was thinking headlight angle but didn't seem to do anything when I was fiddling with it at a red light behind someone at night. It's too the left and below the tachometer. Sitting next to the driver's door on the dash.

Attachments

#44 ·
Headlight beam vertical adjustment dial. When you have your headlights on and it's dark enough, you can use that dial to adjust the beam up and down a bit.

Attachments

#60 ·
The only reference to the headlight aiming control in the owner's manual is for Xenon headlights (HID.) Also, the headlight aiming control section mentions (if so equipped). HIDs were included with the '03 SL navigation option package that included leather seats, sunroof, nav, and few other things...
Font Parallel Paper Number Document

#63 ·
Hmm I'm definitely more convinced, ah they say it is a safety feature. Could not find any indicators under the hood. Maybe I can pull a bulb out if they are easy ish to get to? Thanks for all that though.

My car does contain all that but no navigation. I thought I scoured the display menu to death but I may have missed it I suppose. How would I get to that if I had it?? That would be awesome. Got to run to the store real quick and I'll check it out when I can hit the forums again.

BTW, how do you set your forum signature? The text below your post indicating your cars..

#61 ·
Externally the light bulb looks very different from halogens... Also, halogens when turned on have yellowish color, HIDs are blueish white.

#70 ·
Appreciate that I'll check it out once I get back home.
But I found another problem! My cassette tape won't eject. 🤬

I'm tempted to rip it out and change units out. But the only covering (of that's the right word?) Changes the climate control knobs I think and I don't like it but I'll deal better with something with Bluetooth and Android Auto....

Imhotep

#71 ·
Regarding that visor trim plate... I vaguely recall something either sliding or pushing in to allow that plate to come off. Possibly the small area that isn't part of the main plate moves in or out to unlock the main plate. I do vaguely recall it was somewhat interesting the way it worked. If my 2003 wasn't covered and full of mothballs to keep out rodents, I'd go remove that piece just so I can remember how it works.

#75 ·
And also reading through the manual it specifically says you can only see the the odometer reading with the key in the ON position. That freaking sucks!!!! I want there to be a way!!! There has to be a way!!!!!

Why, God, Why??!!!!!???!

I refuse to believe it....

My search continues to find out how to find mileage when the car is off. I am super inconvenienced and triggered when I have to enter in mileage in my GasBuddy or CarFax app...ugh!

Imhotep

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.