Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just brought my 05 home last night and of course I have to upgrade the sound. Are all of you that have replaced the speakers and added amps still using the Factory Bose head unit???

I had a really nice Kenwood Double Din DVD player but it won't fit in the Murano :-(.

JL Audio just came out w/ something called Clean Sweep that will allow me to use the Factory HU but get much better sound.

Just curious how a speaker/amp upgrade sounds w/ the factory Bose unit over the stock speaker/amps.

thanks all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am working on my setup as we speak. There is a sticky on this forum about the audio upgrade done with the BOSE headunit. I've seen headunit upgrades done before, but they were all single DIN :(.

·
4,664 Posts
The head unit has flat audio response, so it's not worth replacing it, if that's what you're looking for. If you want toys, features, graphic EQ, etc, then it's worth pursuing. If you want them that bad...

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
jaak said:
The head unit has flat audio response, so it's not worth replacing it, if that's what you're looking for. If you want toys, features, graphic EQ, etc, then it's worth pursuing. If you want them that bad...
This also means the JL CleanSweep is useless too, it just corrects any equalization on the outputs of the head unit.

I myself am using an Eclipse HU installed in the area below the stereo/HVAC pod.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Lots of good info here.

Personally I added a amp to drive the existing sub and give some headroom to the Bose Amp power supply. The amp a Thunder 404 has adjustable filtering and gain. It turns on automatically when the Bose outputs that used to go to the speaker and now go to the amp get the signal. So no relays required and high level inputs provide for direct use of the Bose outputs.

I changed the filter cap on the Tweeters to 19uf and tilted them to face the front seat more directly.

I have so much more bass I can't believe it and the rest of the system sounds much cleaner. Cheap Quick and not interior hardships.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Krzydmnd,

I too am pursuing a upgraded audio system in a new (new to me that is :) Murano. I have the Bose stereo which apparently isn't that bad. I like the integration into the rest of NAV system so I am willing to live with it. It doesn't send horribly noisey audio out so sonic quality is probrably close to, if not the same as a high end after market stereo.

As far as using the BOSE speakers in any shape, my ears wont allow for that. I'm extremly picky about the sound and you know, you can't polish a turd, and that just is what I feel the bose speaker/amp setup is. Obviously, the designers were given LITTLE to work with in the realm of $, space, and maybe even time..who knows and for a stock system, the sound is barable - however, for a 30k+ car, I think we all deserve a little bit more - STOCK.

At anyrate, what I am looking at doing is trashing everything after the head unit and starting over. I was really into compitition audio with my previous vehicle so I have some left over parts that I plan to port over to the Mo, mainly a couple of amps. I want to go with smaller sub(s) in this car as I am getting passed the whole "shake your car apart" syndrome I had when I was a little younger :) .

I'm going with 2way components up front and in rear with 1 or 2 subs. If I can get away with a decent sub mounted in the spare tire well I may go that route, but it looks like any sub that i'd be willing to buy wont fit :-( . For amps, I'm going to re-use RF 400.4's for the components. 1 of them will put out around 80watts a channel @ 4ohm. I'm not really sure if thats enough for my components though, so I may run then 2 channel bridged and get 200w a channel...it all depends on how it sounds.

I'll update as I proceed - this will be a long process!

Just my 2 cents.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
The HU was the last item I changed. I only changed it because the stock cd player died (motor I think) out of warranty and it was ridiculous how much a new one cost.

The only real difference I noticed with the new HU is that the stereo separation between channels is greater. The output is also higher, so I don't have to push the HU as much either, but that wasn't really an issue. The stock HU distorts around 24 volume setting.

·
4,664 Posts
Re: Lots of good info here.

GripperDon said:
Personally I added a amp to drive the existing sub and give some headroom to the Bose Amp power supply. The amp a Thunder 404 has adjustable filtering and gain. It turns on automatically when the Bose outputs that used to go to the speaker and now go to the amp get the signal. So no relays required and high level inputs provide for direct use of the Bose outputs.

I changed the filter cap on the Tweeters to 19uf and tilted them to face the front seat more directly.

I have so much more bass I can't believe it and the rest of the system sounds much cleaner. Cheap Quick and not interior hardships.
And I'd say, the most bang for the buck as well...

Since I'm leasing, I'm not keen on digging into it like that, only to change it back. Next one I'm buying...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts