Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
New owner here , my 2017 Sv was just delivered a week ago, and I love it. Have been looking for upgrades and was alittle disappointed to find so few upgrades for it, especially performance upgrades.
So I started thinking that Nissan had to have used the engine I. Other vehicles and I came across that the engine used is the VQ35DE… which happens to be the same engine used in the 2003-2006 Nissan 350z including the track edition. So maybe I am completely off base, and if I am please let me know, but since it’s the same engine, couldn’t the 350z’s performance upgrades be used in theory on say my murano?
Just another of my crazy thoughts, but let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any thoughts? How about ways to make in off-road capable. Not talking rubicon river capable or anything…

·
Registered
174 Posts
You bought the wrong car if you want something to mod the performance or make it an off roader. Muranos aren't Mustangs or Jeeps.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
Gotta agree. The transmission is not designed to take engine HP boosting, and the transfer case is not strong enough for off-road driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thoughts… if it’s the same engine used across multiple platforms from the 350z and the pathfinder, then a tranny swap is possible. And I know to create an off-road beast would need a hell of a lot including a transfer case among a long list. I’m not talking blasting this thing to 500hp and beyond, nor trying to create some rock crawler.
But if those crazy Brit geriatrics from top gear can give a Bentley car off road capability, then surely an suv can be given a bit more lol.
So yes a little more power and alittle more off-road capability can and will be done, very slowly as my wife will kill me if I go to nuts to fast. But it’s nice to finally have a vehicle that
1. I actually like, and
2. Actually can and worthwhile can be made to be cooler then what it already is

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
With enough money, anything is possible. You notice that when TG does their crazy conversions, they don't mention the cost most of the time.

Very few of bolt-on performance parts for the Murano. Going thru the forum, you'll see that there are some parts (Brakes, suspension, and exhaust.) can be upgraded using parts from other Nissan and Infinity cars and trucks.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I always scratch my head when new posters come on these forums and say, "Hey, I just bought 20?? Nissan Murano and I'm really excited to start doing some mods! What performance parts should I buy?" When one buys a car, you really need to know what you want and need from it and whether or not it's going to meet your wants and needs before you buy it.

The problem with tuning or modding the Murano is there's a dearth of performance parts available and the CVT just isn't capable of tolerating a lot more hp and torque output. There's a reason that new cars in the same class as the Murano have engine outputs approaching or exceeding 300hp while the Murano is still stuck at 260hp, where it's been for a dozen years--it's the CVT. You've already heard these arguments, but one thing that isn't usually brought up is there is another key element missing that's important in the case of aftermarket upgrades--there needs to be a large and active community of people doing these things to tie it all together. The 350/370Z, G35/G37, and the Maxima (mainly pre-CVT), have these kinds of communities and aftermarket products are built around them. No such thing exists for the Murano because it's just not that kind of car. When one talks about modding their Murano, they mainly mean that they want to install larger rims or get a new stereo system. Occasionally, you'll see someone do something out of the ordinary--for example, a guy swapped the rear rotors/pads on his 3rd gen with a larger set from an Infiniti Q70 (I think).

On your point that the Murano and other Nissan V6s all share the "same engine" with the 350Z--well, mechanically they may be nearly the same, but you also have to consider that performance parts for a 350Z are made to fit in a 350Z engine compartment (which is organized around the fact that it's RWD) and may not fit the transverse engine in the Murano. Also, a key factor that people often overlook in modern cars is that to make anything work, the control modules running everything need to be compatible not only with the powertrain, but also with the other control modules in the car. And this is where one ends up running into significant hurdles that can be difficult (and expensive) to get around. Even in the Murano, the differences between generations can be staggering. I recall that someone with a 1st generation Murano wanted to know if he could do an engine swap using a 2nd generation engine. There were so many changes made between these generations that this would also require 2nd generation control modules (e.g. ECM, TCM, ABS, BCM etc.) in addition to those wiring harnesses (basically have to rewire the whole car). Sure, it could be done, but it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a 2nd generation Murano. And sure, it could be possible to drop a tuned 350Z motor with a manual transmission into a Nissan Murano and get it all to work, but it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a 350Z and tune it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I like your enthusiasm and ambition but don't say you weren't warned down the rocky road if you go down there.
I myself use my Murano bone stock for it's intended us of daily hauler for groceries, household chores and the like.
I bought a Corvette to rip around and enjoy spirited driving.
No headaches just constant enjoyment.
Not missing all those down days with everything apart, trying to find solutions to impossible situations, let alone all the expense.
The guys on TV do it cause they get paid very well to do it and they have huge budgets and lots of world class techs in the background to help.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
I'm tempted to take I Need Coffee's post and re-post it as a sticky. I share his sense of wonder at those who buy a mom & pop crossover with a CVT and then want to lower/raise/off-road/add performance to it. As Canuckguy says, it's a family car, grocery getter, and a very nice vehicle for trips.

If others would like to see that post as a sticky, let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts