Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving along today at a lesuirely pace, both lights went on. Brake was definitely not depressed. I stoped the car, pressed the brake all the way in then disengaged, no joy. Turned the car off then back on and both lights are still on.

I checked the TSB and nothing is mentioned. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
You have a bad alternator.
Get it to the dealer before your battery goes all the way down and strands you.

Homer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the alternator really go after 2700 miles? I guess it can be defective...but that's really embarrasing for Nissan....any guestimate as to how long I can fly with a battery that is not getting recharged?

My Toyota Camry has 175k and original alternator. I did replace the belt around 25,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
487 Posts
There's been a batch of bad alternators...

I guess it's not enough for a recall. I have 11k on my MO and no alternator problem, whereas others are having them at around 2k miles. :/

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
There is more chance IMO, of an alternator going in the first 2700 miles than at an other time.

I take it you Camry engine did not go bad as many Toyota engines did.
Even Camrys fail.

No one can estimate with any accuracy how long your battery will last without being recharged.

I would characterize it with two words.
"Not long."

Homer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - reason I ask re distance is the closest Nissan dealership is approx. 4 - 5 miles away. I'm a bit worried if I don't make it....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Most batteries have a "reserve capacity" approx 1-2hrs on a full charge if your alternator fails. Now, if you start your car on that battery, obviously the reserve capacity will be depleted somewhat. But you should be able to do 5 miles if you turn off all your accessories. Why don't you call your dealership and tell them the symptom and ask if they will send a tow truck for you?

·
Registered
227 Posts
HELP!!!

I'm 4 hours from home and my break light and battery light cam on when i went to start the car to drive home today... SUNDAY.

What can I do on a SUNDAY to get it replaced???

·
Registered
424 Posts
Talk about bad timing! That really sucks! You could try calling all the Nissan dealers within a 15-mile radius on the off-chance that they have a mechanic working today. I purchased my vehicle on a Sunday, and I remember there was a mechanic who had come in to work on a car that had to be ready the following morning.

·
Registered
227 Posts
is there anything i could check to confirm that my Alternator is dead?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm going to drop her off at a local dealer Sunday night. Hopefully they will be able to resolve the issue in the a.m. so we can drive back to St. Louis tomorrow night.

Wish us luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Remanufactured Alternator

Is it common for the dealer to replace my fried alternator with a remanufactored alternator?

Because that is what thay are doing to to mine today at Bales Nissan ?!?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I dont think they can replaced your alternator with a reman one..

especially if your car is still within warranty.

What you can have them do is probably to put the reman. alternator while waiting for the new-alternator order to come in so that you can drive the murano. There is a national backorder on the alternator and the dealer might not want you to wait for 2 weeks without the car. Nevertheles, you should negotiate with the dealer to put the new one after it arrived. Free of charges

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Oh I think they CAN put a reman in your MO. I believe the warranty is the same as a new alternator. The main thing is to keep all paper work in case another issue comes up down the road.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Alternator replacement

I just had my alternator replaced with OEM one. After the first alternator the dealership replaced took 21 days to arrive, they now keep one in stock and replace it with a new OEM one has required ASAP.

I hope everyone that has to get a new alternator goes to the alternator poll and adds to it. It now looks like 22% failure rate right now for everyone that belongs to this organization. I hope that Nissan is reveiwing the numbers as they should be telling Nissan there is a problem.

·
4,664 Posts
Also, if you've not had a failure, report that as well, so the numbers don't get skewed. Mine's fine at 17 months.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I think I reported mine... 9K almost 12 months and its OK.

I was at the dealership last week.... I noticed there was a refurbished Nissan Alt at the parts desk so I asked the tech standing there with it if he has installed many of these. "OH yea he stated". I asked in the Murano? He said "in all of them".

Strange that Nissan isn't resolving this.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well we picked up the Murano at 5:15 pm on Monday and made the 4 hour trip back to St. Louis.

Everything seems to be ok now.

It sucks when these things happen away from home.

Hopefully that is the 1st and LAST problem with my Murano.

Bales Nissan did a great job getting the problem resolved. I would have just liked to know ahead of time that it was going to take all day to fix.

I would have used my 'personal day' to play golf.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts