Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me what you think...

Got my new Mo 11-30-04, last day of the month. I specifically said to the guy, look, are the year end rebates going to be more than the current $1,000? If I find out tomorrow they are, I'm going to be P/Od. He said no, the rebates on these don't really go up, and it will be $1,000 or none at all.

Today rolls around, and look at the current rebate, $1,500.

What do I do? What would YOU DO? Can they renegotiate the rebate?

I thought I got a pretty good deal for my car, 04 SL AWD, Touring, MSRP $35,010, plus dealer installed $79 wheel locks. Paid $31,275 (before rebate). Appears to be almost $700 below invoice, no?

Opinions greatly needed please!

Thank you!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Where did you hear about the $1500 rebate? I only see the $1000 rebate ending 12/01/04.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw it on CarsDirect.com - but.... now that you mentioned it, I went back there to see, and you know what? They list it, but there is a Year End Event Image, and if you look close its a Lincoln-Mercury logo. So, I clicked it, and guess where it took me? To L-M website. Maybe it's a glitch in the CarsDirect.com system.... I couldn't find it on Nissan, now that I looked. I was a bit ticked off when I saw it and didn't dig deeper I guess...?! Just have to keep my eyes posted and hope I got a good deal.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If you've signed the contract, not much you can do now. It was the end of the month, perhaps the salesman was rushed to meet his quota.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Right of Refusal

Most states have laws about "Right of Refusal" - there may even be a federal law. Basically, that means that you have the right to return a car and get your money back (minus a fee for mileage).

I know in Colorado, it's 72 hours (3 days).

Also, when peple talk about "how much they paid", you have to discount any number when a trade-in is involved. The reason is that the dealer will just change the numbers to take money from the value of the trade-in. (you always get screwed on a trade-in). That's why the 1st question a salesman asks is "What are you trading in"

Also, most people never read the final paperwork, and don't realize (or don't mention) that they paid "dealer fees", gap insurance, "clear coat protection" (i.e wax) and other bogus costs on top of the "below invoice" price. These are just dealer profit

I just helped my girlfriend by a Pathfinder on the VPP program, and she was all excited about getting the "under invoice" price that they showed her up front. I looked at the final paperwork, and found out that they're charging 6% interest, "gap insurance", and a $300 loan fee. We negotiated down to 5%, no fee and no gap insurance. Dealers make money off the loans - the higher the interest rate & fees, the more kickback they get.

So you can't really be sure of the price until you see the paperwork. People will always tell you how great of a deal they got.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Eric L. said:
If you've signed the contract, not much you can do now. It was the end of the month, perhaps the salesman was rushed to meet his quota.
You may have signed a contract but you signed that contract based on your conversation with the sales person... you had specifically asked if there was another rebate... we are not talking weeks later, or months but rather hours. If the $1500 rebate does exist I would be pretty upset. Perhaps talking with the service manager and mentioning you may bring the car back for return (if you State supports a grace period like the previous post stated.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there is a 72 hour law in IL. I want the car though, and I'm not sure the $500 more is true or not yet (still researching), I think its a carsdirect.com typo.

The price I paid was $31,275 before the $1000 rebate. The only other fees I paid were $51 and some change doc fee and a $10 driveaway temp registration sticker, plus a $15 local county tax. I'm going to bring it to the state I'm moving to next week and then I will have my title and taxes (which is standard on any car).

The sticker was $35,010. With that being said (what I REALLY paid, no inflated dealer extras + markups, trust me), I think I got a pretty good deal. Do you disagree?

I actually went to see the internet manager, but he pushed me to a sales guy, who already had his quota for the month, and I had to push so hard to do this deal. They were calling me, and I told them this is what I could get it at another delearship for (which was true, and I was going there if they didn't do it). They kept coming back like $450 higher and I said no, this or I'm going there (today!). That was via phone after we visited. They finally did it. I really don't think I could find any lower.

I used the FAX ATTACK method a couple of weeks ago. Some bids came in HIGH, and quite a few were just over what I paid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You got a good deal.

If you like the car, which it sounds like you do, don't even worry about it.

Edmunds.com does not show any incentives for 2004 Muranos and they're very quick about posting new incentives. IMHO, it's a carsdirect fluke.

Enjoy your MO! :)

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Scrib said:
If you like the car, which it sounds like you do, don't even worry about it.
My thoughts exactly. All this over $500. You will spend so much more than the $500 in regular maintenance alone over the life of the car. Even if you only keep it for 5 years, you may have been "ripped off" by 27 cents a day. If you return that car over principle, I swear to god.... ;)

(Well, maybe not "swear to god", its just a saying)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
You got a good deal, Don't let a possibility of $500 ruin enjoying a wonderful vehicle. If the dealer knew you good deal was probably tempered by the up coming rebate. If he did not know he then did not know. Maybe you can hit him up for some "reasonable" accessory but whatever enjoy the MO! GRIP :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It really is a $1,500 rebate. Edmunds will update, and the carsdirect site has a year end event image, even with the lincoln mercury link, it's for Nissans they said, ignore the image. They had to do some checking and get back with me.

UGH!!!!!
I don't want to be that mad about it, but we told the guy, look, we REALLY don't want to lose the $1,000 rebate, and we have a feeling it will be higher in December, and he told us NO. He worked for Nissan for over 6 years selling cars.... he already met his quota for the month.

I don't know what possible accessory they could give us worth $500... and I'm moving out of state in a week. *sighs*

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
BordeauxMo said:
I don't know what possible accessory they could give us worth $500... and I'm moving out of state in a week. *sighs*
Ask them for free maintenace cupons good in any dealership. They should be able to do that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many maintenance coupons? Like, a bunch of them?... is it like a coupon book or something?

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
My dealer threw in a coupon book with the car, good for free basic oil changes every 5,000 miles up to 35k. Now that I'm through those coupons, there are a bunch more in the back for discounts on accessories and rarer maintenance events -- tire balancing and such.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
4,994 Posts
JDS How do we log in? GRIP :D

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
4,994 Posts
Worked for me Thanks, GRIP :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
The VPP rebates apply to people who have business connections with Nissan and get VPP pricing. The $1500 rebate may apply to the general public but I have not seen it written anywhere yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bordeaux Mo

May I ask if you financed your Mo? And if so what was the percentage? I'm still looking at Murano's, I've got my eye on 2, an SL and a SE. My husband is waxing the Expedition as we speak. Hope to go for a test ride next week.:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts