Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! I didn't think this was that big a deal, but it looks like Nissan is stepping up to the plate without the pressure it took to get the alternator recall (which, IMHO, was a bigger issue). Here's a blurb from the official Nissan press release:

Nissan will be conducting a voluntary safety recall on approximately 226,000 Model Year 2003-2006 Murano vehicles to add a fuel tank shield in front of the fuel tank. Note: This issue was first raised as a preliminary investigation in September of 2005 – GOV05:190
Guess those guys with fuel tank punctures really weren't kidding!

JC

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
It is good to see Nissan stepping up to the plate and doing whats right. I am guessing they had indications that the government may have been leaning towards a mandatory recall and they initiated it to save face.

-njjoe

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Jim C said:
Wow! I didn't think this was that big a deal, but it looks like Nissan is stepping up to the plate without the pressure it took to get the alternator recall (which, IMHO, was a bigger issue). Here's a blurb from the official Nissan press release:

Guess those guys with fuel tank punctures really weren't kidding!

JC

YIPEEE....another trip to the stealership.
I am waiting for my letter form Nissan!

Anyway, does this effect ALL 2003-2005 MO?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
njjoe said:
It is good to see Nissan stepping up to the plate and doing whats right. I am guessing they had indications that the government may have been leaning towards a mandatory recall and they initiated it to save face.
I bet they wanted to avoid issues and law suites that Ford Pinto had. Good thinking too.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
SugarRushMurano-

Looking at the numbers (226,000) in Jim C's post I can only assume it is for all Muranos (2003 -2006).

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Get ready for another useless dealership visit while they tell you they "need to order the part." Every time I visit my dealership they send me away without a repair and tell me they need to order the parts. Half the time they never call me back.

I guess the fuel tank skid plate is another thing to add to the list for my next $tealership visit.

BTW thanks JimC for making the announcement. I'm making this sticky.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Aw damn, and just when I finished my skid-plate project yesterday :rolleyes: :D

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best bet is probably to call your dealer first to see if they have the shield parts and procedure. I'm checking with my guy later today. To heck with waiting for a letter. I STILL haven't got the stupid alternator recall letter and if I wait for the fuel tank one, I'll end up selling the Murano before the letter arrives - and I keep my cars for at least 10 years at a time!!!

Jim

ps: my understanding is that the recall does apply to ALL Murano's as the fuel tank design has not changed since introduction in 2003.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Did anyone else notice that the NTHSA bulletin posted by Wxman only lists 2005 as being affected? Was I reading that wrong? I would expect the recall to affect all Muranos operated in the US (the NTHSA doesn't care about the rest of you boys).

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:
Did anyone else notice that the NTHSA bulletin posted by Wxman only lists 2005 as been affected? Was I reading that wrong? I would expect the recall to affect all Muranos operated in the US (the NTHSA doesn't care about the rest of you boys).

-njjoe

I wouldn't worry about the year since it says 205,000 units affected, which pretty much means every Murano ever sold.

I noticed the start date for the recall is March 26, which means that gives Nissan's parts supplier 2 months to manufacture 205,000 metal shields. :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Osama bin Laden saying al-Qaida is planning attacks, counterterrorism officials said Thursday.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
OMG, that's it, Ossama is going to plant bungee sticks on US highways to attack Murano fuel tanks, it's all so clear to me now... ;)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
MightyMo-

What are you worried about? Your MO is the only one in the US that already has a skid plate installed. And from the looks of it, it will probably be a lot more effective than what the Nissan guys will be installing.:4:

-njjoe

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's not me I'm worried about, it's the vast thousands of my Murano brethren out there who are in imminent danger! Get your recalls done everybody, Osama is after you! ;) :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Murano Recalls

I checked several websites, and there are no recalls out right now for the 2006 Muranos.

P.S. I just got my 2006 Brilliant Silver Murano SL yesterday. :D It was an upgrade from my 2002 Chevy Avalanche.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Filosophic1-

It is a voluntary recall that appears to affect all Muranos. It was announced only a few days ago.

Since the gas tank configuration has remain unchanged since it's introduction, I think it is safe to say your 2006 will also be included.

-njjoe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Njjoe....if anything, it's good to know that Nissan is being proactive about the recall.

2006 Brilliant Silver SL

1 - 20 of 352 Posts