Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Tires now a Shimmy
HELP, I put new Toyo Proxes S/T, size 255/60/18 on and the first time they had 32, 35, 36, and 37 psi in them and a Shimmy around 50-55 mph, and puled to the left. The second time they rebalanced all, more shimmy from 50-70 mph. Third time, remounted as both the rims and tires have a DOT on them and were NOT lined UP at all. Now I still have a little pull to the left and a bit of a shimmy at around 50-55. What am I to do??? My drive to work today I got 28+ mpg at 55-60 mph
:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
I can't help but I know someone with Toyo's will chime in.

The size you posted should have a diameter of 30 inches the same as stock so your MPG should be the same (perhaps less due to new tire width).

The blue dot show the heavy side of the wheel I think.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Does anyone know for certain what the blue dots represent?

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I like my theories the best :D. Concensus on the Z forums and here seems to be factory mounting alignment marks. Whether they are heavy to heavy or light to heavy seems to be the debate. Having never ran a balance machine myself I don't know, but I have seen them run and I have seen them dismount the tire and roate the tire on the rim, why I can't say. I presume the machine is probably telling them too. A guess would be the machine is detecting 2 out of balances and it wants them aligned either way, heavy to heavy or light to heavy, just so they line up. Of course we would want light to heavy to reduce amount of weight needed but not sure. Seems to still be a debate. But at any rate, it would make sense that the factory would have the rim and tire subs mark their tires so when they were mounted they could reduce the amount of time or possibly weights...every penny counts.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=409
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2390
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4408

Chris, I have fought that before. One time it was just a bad tire the other time it was wheel bearing. I would suggest swapping the wheel and see if the problem goes with the wheel. Like if the shimmy is on the front, put them on the rears and see if the shimmy goes to the rear. Try to isolate to the wheel. If it goes with the wheel then its either the tire (lousy tire good luck getting them to replace it) or the rim (bent). If it stays regardless of wheel then look at wheel bearings (worn or loose) then look at a 4 wheel alignment..

·
5,244 Posts
Recently I had two "bad" new tires that could not be balanced. In both cases tire dealers put new tires "no question asked". So it is possible you do have a bad tire. But there are many other possibilities as Enforcer said...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How will I know if i rotate the tires from the front to the back, will the back start to vibrate? Do you think I need a 4 wheel alignment at 39,900 miles? My old GY's the left front was a bit off from the rest. My old GY tires had a yellow dot that alined with the blue dot so I had the new tires (yellow dots) alined with the blue dots also and they used less weight.:confused:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yes, classical fault isolation. Try to isolate the shimmy to a wheel. first I would do is front to rear to see if you can feel it follow to the axle then go one wheel at a time to figure the wheel. If all four shimmy then I don't know what to do...try different tires or take it to the dealer I guess.

I wish I could remember how many times my Z has been in for realignment, only 20k miles in 3 years...I think maybe 5. My 03 MO had it aligned at the first oil change and yes it was off. I had it aligned again at 15k. On this 06 I'm going to have it realigned at first oil change and I'm betting it is off. Many have had theirs back to the shop before first oil change for realignment. So to answer your question oh yes alignment can be off from the get go or at any given point in time, like most I try to avoid potholes too. In fact, I can't remember ever hitting any that should account for an alignment being needed. But it happens. Of course the Z is another story all in itself. They actually try to keep it aligned to within .09 degrees. As you can imagine, lots of luck.

Tire weights. Now there is a good discussion all by itself. My personal opinion is if a tire takes more than few ounces to balance it's going to give you problems. Thats just from personal experience. Can't explain why. I'm sure many others have their own experiences and some that have had no problems. I've yet to see any local tire shop live up to a balance spec.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red DOT, Yellow DOT, oh my, oh my

:eek: Long story short I now know far to much about tires and wheels that the mortal man. Ok, i went back to the tire guy. They did a road force balance and Match mounted the tires on my wheels. RF = 10psi (good), LF = 28psi (bad), RR = 5psi (good), LR = 31psi (bad). They will replace both bad tires, but what a hard time to get right, this will be the 5th time back, but will get right if it kills me!:3: :2:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ah, they must have used the Hunter 9700. Best wheel balancer in the business.

Years ago we used to have "on the car" balancing done by master techs. They would place a couple of fingers lightly on the car fender and spin the wheel up. Only they know where to put the weight, and only they knew how much weight. Took maybe 5 or 10 minutes per wheel but a good man could do a a perfect job.
Too slow nowadays of course. No room for the master tech.
Now they use a Hunter. A couple of hours training and they can do a match (That's your "dots". High spot on tire matched with low spot on wheel) and dynamic balance (Two planes- they call it road force) in 2 or 3 minutes.

This also shows the the QC used on tires today.:rolleyes:

Hang in there, it's worth it.

Homer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Red dots, Blue Dots, Yellow dots, my

:) They used the Hunter 9600, and the manager was on the phone with a tech as he was using the machine. All this work, I sure hope this is all worth it? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Re: Red dots, Blue Dots, Yellow dots, my

ChrisWard said:
:) They used the Hunter 9600, and the manager was on the phone with a tech as he was using the machine. All this work, I sure hope this is all worth it? :rolleyes:
Chris... if your still around, what was the end product?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
END Product outcome

If anyone wants to know call me (928) 328-3269 as I don't type very well and it's alot of info.:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had exactly the same with Yokohoma Geolanders
one was found to be bad but the problem was still there
maybe the replacement was bad maybe all 6 were bad. had them balanced countless times.

finally gave up and went with Bridgestones and no problem balancing them.

not a bridgestone endoresment just have limited choices for the MO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts