Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to keep my stock rims for the time being. The reason is that I've heard the wheels I had chosen (RH Evolution GT5) may weigh more than the OEM wheels, and are probably not the greatest quality. I haven't seen any other wheels that I like as much, so I'm sticking with stock instead.

I am in need of a tire change though, as I already have 32,000 miles on my Murano, and the tires are getting slippery and noisy. I had originally planned to go with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros, 255/60R18, but now I'm going to go with Toyo Proxes S/T in the same size.

Here are the numbers from www.1010tires.com (the ones I care about are bold):
Rating Scale: 5 - Excellent, 4 - Very Good, 3 - Good, 2 - Satisfactory, 1 - Poor, 0 - Not Applicable

Toyo Proxes S/T (63 reviews):
Dry Traction 4.7
Wet Traction 4.4

Snow Traction 3.2
Handling 4.7
Ride Comfort 4.6
Noise Comfort 4.4
Treadwear 4.1
Overall 4.4
*Cost: $146

Pirelli Scorpion Zero (20 reviews):
Dry Traction 4.6
Wet Traction 3.9

Snow Traction 2.4
Handling 4.5
Ride Comfort 3.8
Noise Comfort 3.3
Treadwear 3.5
Overall 3.8
*Cost: $195

*Note the cost is for the size 255/55R18, as the site doesn't list the 255/60 for the Toyos. This gives a good comparison of the price difference, which is even more here in Canada.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I like the specs of the 255/60/18's. Right now these are my choice but I only have 8K miles on my GoodYears.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, so the Toyo's aren't available in Canada in 255/60R18. So I have to order them from the US, or settle for the Pirelli's. I think I'll order the Toyo's, because even with the shipping they come out to the same price as the Pirelli's, but they still have better ratings.

·
5,244 Posts
I do not think Toyos are available in 255/60/18 size here in states either........

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are according to the www.bigwheels.net website. They're listed on the Toyo website too.

·
5,244 Posts
Wow, I missed it. It is a good news. Looks like a good tire too........and resonably priced.

Thanks for the link

·
Registered
485 Posts
Reasonably priced? Looks like twice as expensive as the Kumho's everybody has been talking about...

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MightyMo said:
Reasonably priced? Looks like twice as expensive as the Kumho's everybody has been talking about...
Here the prices from bigwheels.net:

Kumho Ecsta STX
255/55VR18 (29.02") $126.25 each
265/60HR18 (30.51") $133.75 each

Toyo Proxes S/T
255/60VR18 (30.04") $138.50 each

The originals are 30.03" tall. I don't like the 255/55 because they are too short and I don't like the 265/60 because they are too wide (for my tastes).

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you compare all of the ratings, not just the ones I care most about, the Toyo's are still a lot better.

Here are the numbers from www.1010tires.com (the ones I care about are bold):
Rating Scale: 5 - Excellent, 4 - Very Good, 3 - Good, 2 - Satisfactory, 1 - Poor, 0 - Not Applicable

Toyo Proxes S/T (63 reviews):
Dry Traction 4.7
Wet Traction 4.4

Snow Traction 3.2
Handling 4.7
Ride Comfort 4.6
Noise Comfort 4.4
Treadwear 4.1
Overall 4.4

Kumho Ecsta STX (17 reviews):
Dry Traction 4.8
Wet Traction 4.4

Snow Traction 2.4
Handling 4.5
Ride Comfort 3.7
Noise Comfort 3.3
Treadwear 3.5
Overall 3.9

Oh well, just another option. I've stated why I prefer the Toyo's.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
is it really time to change tires after 30k or so? What ever happened to 70k tread life? Sheesh.. hitting 30k this week, I guess I have to look at it, too. also, why is it that when i search at 1010tires or tirerack, the only tire I see eligible for Muranos are the Eagle LS, with an overall rating of 2.4? Are you just going with the size and configuration or what?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drive fast and corner hard. My tires wear out fast.
There is a range of tires that will fit 7.5" rims like we have. Anything from about 225-275 should fit ok. Just figure out the aspect ratio after you know the width you want. The aspect ratio tells you the distance between the rim and the outside of the tire, and is simply a number you multiply by the width.

Stock tires:
235mm (width) X 0.65 (aspect ratio) = 152.75mm

So now you can just use the formula 152.75 / width = aspect ratio OR 152.75 / aspect ratio = width to check other sizes.

152.75 / 255 = 0.60 so this size would be 255/60R18.

Check this link out for comparisons:
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

·
5,244 Posts
EasternPA,

30K miles for a reasonably performing tire is OK. Personally I do not believe that 70k tire is a good one. Longevity is only one of many attributes of a tire. Usually long lasting tires are hard, have relatively low traction, not so good ride and handling. I prefer good performance tires that last 30 – 35k mile. Just personal opinion……

Had a second look at the pricing. $138.50/tirie (Toyo) x 4 = $554 plus $120 shipping = $674 plus installation $??? ($120??) takes us to almost $800………..

I can get Kumho at Discount Tire for $570 fitted. And there is no hassles with warranty (who installed the tire, who’s fault it is).

It seems like Kumho remains the best option.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
cool, thanks for the background. was just wondering how they missed so many options available to us.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They only search for the stock size.

·
5,244 Posts
EasternPA said:
cool, thanks for the background. was just wondering how they missed so many options available to us.

EasternPA,

look here tires

there is a lot of information not necessarily on stock tires.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Toyo Proxes S/T 255/60VR18s are here, and I have an appointment to have them installed on Thursday. I will post pics soon after that, and I'll post my thoughts on them about a week later (probably a few hundred miles will be put on them by then!)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Nice!

These are the ones I am planning on replacing my GoodYears with.

Tyler_Canada said:
My Toyo Proxes S/T 255/60VR18s are here, and I have an appointment to have them installed on Thursday. I will post pics soon after that, and I'll post my thoughts on them about a week later (probably a few hundred miles will be put on them by then!)

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
An interesting development as the dealer was installing my new tires: they apparently can't do an alignment with tires that wide (without damaging my rims). I asked them to do an alignment not because I had noticed any problems, but because I believe in maintaining, not fixing. They suggested I try a performance shop.

As the tires are only 255, and I know people on here have up to 275 on their Muranos, have any of you done alignments?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
An interesting development as the dealer was installing my new tires: they apparently can't do an alignment with tires that wide (without damaging my rims). I asked them to do an alignment not because I had noticed any problems, but because I believe in maintaining, not fixing. They suggested I try a performance shop.

As the tires are only 255, and I know people on here have up to 275 on their Muranos, have any of you done alignments?

This is at the Nissan dealer, or the tire dealer? It seems to me a tire dealer should not sell a tire they cannot do an alignment on (and 255 isn't that wide for a high profile 55 or 60 series tire). You may want to look for a lifetime alignment contract somewhere (I guess in Canada, Canadian Tire is the natural choice). I had a lifetime alignment contract from Firestone and it paid for itself many times over.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts