Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just bought a 1st gen 2003 murano, and I'm in the process of fixing it up the best I can. The car was a good price and the previous owners are family friends who have had the car since new. Now that sounds great when I put it that way, BUT sadly the car was not maintained well and had sat for awhile before I purchased it.

Starting out the murano had a horrible oil leak originating from both valve covers. So naturally I tore the engine down and assessed everything I could. Cleaned the oil off of literally everything, pollished the whole bay up. Set the car up with new gaskets, valve covers, spark plugs, coil packs, cam sensors, crankshaft sensors, coolent temp sensor, fuel pump, air filters, tires, fluids and more.

Now to the current problems. The car has been performing well, but I've experienced some strange problems. First of all the car will cold start beautifully, but when warmed up the car won't start without me feathering the gas a little. So I suspect a fuel problem, but where do I start? As I said the pump is new and working. Second I have a driving issue where the rpms will gradually climb while coasting downhill. Now this is concerning because I live in the hills of Arkansas.

My scanner shows no codes so I'm really at a loss from here being as im new to nissan vehicles. I need guidance, suggestions, simply knowledge on where to go from here.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Second I have a driving issue where the rpms will gradually climb while coasting downhill. Now this is concerning because I live in the hills of Arkansas.

My scanner shows no codes so I'm really at a loss from here being as im new to nissan vehicles. I need guidance, suggestions, simply knowledge on where to go from here.
The RPMs increasing when when coasting downhill is perfectly normal for your '03's CVT, it's using engine breaking.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hello I just bought a 1st gen 2003 murano, and I'm in the process of fixing it up the best I can. The car was a good price and the previous owners are family friends who have had the car since new. Now that sounds great when I put it that way, BUT sadly the car was not maintained well and had sat for awhile before I purchased it.

Starting out the murano had a horrible oil leak originating from both valve covers. So naturally I tore the engine down and assessed everything I could. Cleaned the oil off of literally everything, pollished the whole bay up. Set the car up with new gaskets, valve covers, spark plugs, coil packs, cam sensors, crankshaft sensors, coolent temp sensor, fuel pump, air filters, tires, fluids and more.

Now to the current problems. The car has been performing well, but I've experienced some strange problems. First of all the car will cold start beautifully, but when warmed up the car won't start without me feathering the gas a little. So I suspect a fuel problem, but where do I start? As I said the pump is new and working. Second I have a driving issue where the rpms will gradually climb while coasting downhill. Now this is concerning because I live in the hills of Arkansas.

Can your scan tool read live data? If so, I would watch the readings from all the sensors and see if anything stands out as unusual when this happens. What is the idle RPM when the engine is warmed up and what do fuel trims look like at idle (esp. long-term fuel trims)? And, is this an intermittent problem or does it happen every time the engine is at operating temperature?

On the RPMs while coasting downhill--that is normal engine breaking behavior as MuranoSL2003 stated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can your scan tool read live data? If so, I would watch the readings from all the sensors and see if anything stands out as unusual when this happens. What is the idle RPM when the engine is warmed up and what do fuel trims look like at idle (esp. long-term fuel trims)? And, is this an intermittent problem or does it happen every time the engine is at operating temperature?

On the RPMs while coasting downhill--that is normal engine breaking behavior as MuranoSL2003 stated.
My scanner is just a basic obd2 and can not read live data nor can I check my fuel trims easily. The car idles properly when cold started and while running it stays normal. But when you try to start the vehicle after it's been warmed up and shut off it stalls to start with out lightly feathering the gas for a second. While this occurs the rpms are lower then they should be and remain to sit under 500 for around a min or so into driving. And yes is is a constant problem everytime the vehicle is at operating temp.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My scanner is just a basic obd2 and can not read live data nor can I check my fuel trims easily. The car idles properly when cold started and while running it stays normal. But when you try to start the vehicle after it's been warmed up and shut off it stalls to start with out lightly feathering the gas for a second. While this occurs the rpms are lower then they should be and remain to sit under 500 for around a min or so into driving. And yes is is a constant problem everytime the vehicle is at operating temp.
You should consider upgrading your scan tool capabilities since without being able to see what the ECM is seeing (and using to control the engine), it's much more challenging to diagnose engine performance problems. If you have an Android phone/tablet then you can get a cheap OBDII interface ($15-20) and download the Torque Pro app ($5) which has pretty much everything one needs as far as basic graphing capabilities. You would also be able to download the CVTz50 app ($5), which is very useful for CVT diagnostics. Another option, albeit more expensive and more polished is Bluedriver and it's available for both Android and IOS.

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, the engine runs normally when warmed up (e.g. no lack of power, rough idle, stumbling etc.) except this no-start issue after it's shut off, correct? Did the car always have this problem or only after changing all those parts? One of the components you replaced is the ECT sensor, which is not a common fail item--was it defective?

The next time this happens, try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if the engine starts without pumping the pedal. If that doesn't work, plug it back in and unplug the ECT sensor and try restarting again.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003
1 - 6 of 6 Posts