Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy, new to the forums, although been reading for a while,

so what marks this momentous occation of my registering?

today I bought a new 2004 Murano SE/AWD

Details:
Polished Pewter/Charcoal Cloth
Premium Package
Splash guards
Roof Rails

Final price: $28,489

http://lubbock.autochooser.com/Idfrmain.asp?curabn=MN308271&curloc=30&callingpage=results
(thats her, ill post picks as I get some work done on it and I am not sure how long this link will last since its now off the market :p.)

I think I did pretty well on it., but yeah, its said and done.

as far as modifications go, i am planning on installing a custom built CarPC with a 7" Xenarc Touch screen, mounted where the current LCD is, along with relocating that LCD to somewhere below the head unit in a custom housing, removeable so I can be up to spec for waranty work :p If there is a way to totally remove that lcd and hook the head unit directly to my pc and still be able to see all the info it provides, I would be ecstatic, but I might have to hunt for it a bit.
(i would just put the screen where I plan on moving the LCD, but i am a fan of the more, heads up, style when it comes to what ill be interacting with for music, DVDs, Gps, and so fourth. )

As far as where the computer will go, I am going to see how much room I have to work with in the anterior portion of the console, right under the dash, and if I can't fit it in there i'll just put it in the storage compartment (though I would hate to lose all that space.)

Anywho, thats all for now, but look around in the future for some really neat fabrication along with an incredible amount of added funtionality.
(unless I find that my warranty will be completely voided... then its back to the drawing board :( and if it comes to that, well, there will still be a lot of neat fabrication/functionality because I refuse to let this dream die)
:D

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the New MO. I have an XBox playing thru the LCD and was able to fit the Xbox under the passenger seat. The power seat on the passenger side does not go up and down so you don't have to worry about crushing it.

You will also find the true center console bin is very deep and can be use for some peripherals, Inverter etc.

Sounds like you have some definite ideas in mind and a plan for execution, As you search the forum you will find a lot of great stuff to use as you build your MO.
Don :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome don,

I just spent a couple of hours "exploring" the mo and found TONS of crannies where I could instal a pc. Seeing all the available space near the rear of the back seats made me incredibly happy, and a little less worried about cramming a pc into the dash.

However, My plan for the lcd relocation is making me sweat, as I am just not sure if there is

A) enough room for it to be completely visible and

B) if I will be able to make a "factory" (i use the term loosely) looking enclosure for the stock lcd.

I am going to remove the dash tomorrow (1:30 am doesnt seem like a great time to start a project :p) and make some measurements and hopefully a couple of mockups so I can decide where to mount the lcd.

Pictures will soon follow, as I plan to document all of my work, hopefully so people can emulate my successes and learn from my failures.

Until tomorrow, probably around 4 pm if I can find the time. If not, on wednesday and thursday I should have a few blocks of time for work.

Gotta love being a full time student
:28:

:EDIT:

Holy bajeez, I just remembered, My grandparents live in Scottsdale, well, part of the time anyway. hmmm, I might just have to "visit" them to see your MO :p

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Tell them Hi! for us we live in "Stonegate" They will probably know of it. :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Relocating the LCD

I've seen pictures of three types of mods to date. Simplesb added an Alpine IVA-D300 stereo/nav unit by moving the center dash panel down a few inches. See Simplesb's Gallery

One I saw on eBay quite awhile back added the color screen in custom box mounted just above the factory screen. Very awkward and bulky looking. Didn't go well with the interior.

Another, put the new color screen in the factory location and moved the original LCD to the location of the cup holder. Lost use of the cup holders, but gave him what he was looking for.

I've recently wondered if there's enough space behind the screen on non-nav models to put in something like the G35's nav screen that would raise and lower. Probably a nasty mod to do. But, could be quite cool!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is a structural metal tube behind the LCD which can not be removed. However DigitalWW has a motorized screen that can be installed the way simplesb installed his, or on top of the dash. Its hight is not that much so it is a possibility (much better than the awkward design you mentioned).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I did some work today. I had quite a bust day and resolved to get some ****e done, namely moving the lcd to where the lights are up top. My friend who has worked on many a car convinced me that since the lcd and its control board (dont know what exactly this is, but will soon need to.) is only a 15 pin ribbon. I said, hey, a monitor cable is 15 pin, and it was off to ratshack to pick up a vga cable and some female db-15's. about 6 hours, 60 solder points, various shopping trips and tool hunting, and quite a few burns later, It was ready to be tested.

Then, Disaster struck.

After about 50 solder points, I got lazy and was slopping solder around allll over the place. Turns out when I finished the last db-15 which is directly connected to the LCD, I had 2 wires touching, creating a short. NOT FUN @ 1 AM.

Anyways, this cause what looks like a voltage regulator and a capacitor on the control board to burn to a crisp.

Coincidently my parents got pissed off at me for even thinking of modifying my MO, seeing as I have had it for one day.

I really don't wat to get that whole "I told you so and every thing you do is wrong" speach, so a little favor, does anybody know what the part number is for that control board (board that plugs directly into the bose, mounted on the back of the LCD enclosure) and how much it costs, or will I have to buy a whole new lcd, board, everything. I would rather not, because without that one mishap, I think it would have worked :(

Ah well, until tomorrow,

·
4,601 Posts
AFAIK it's an assembly and you'll have to get the whole display.

Also, by cutting the harness, any other problems you have remotely related, your dealer can tell you you've voided the warranty.

I would spend the money to put it back to stock and leave it that way for 6 months, while you put together the other stuff and make sure it's reliable. This should get you past the "infant mortality" stage of your Murano and could potentially save you a bundle more.

You know how they say, measure twice, cut once? In electronics, it's never work tired and always check three times and have someone else check as well, before you apply the power. And if you're feeling lazy or over confident, think about how much it will cost to fix when you fry it. (not if you fry it...)

I hope you had your battery disconnected while you were cutting things apart!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jaak, I will probably be picking up one of those today and installing it how it was meant to :p

I am still going to put in a touch screen, but I guess that will have to wait a while since I now have to decide where i am going to mount it since real estae I thought was available is crushed by my simple screwup. :(

Ah well, **** happens I suppose...

:::EDIT:::

Well, I also decided that when I do relocate the lcd screen, i am going to make an extension for the harness, so I dont have to cut anything, yadda yadda, cause yeah, I am not a fan of buying expensive ****e for my car AFTER DAY 1 :mad:

God, I was sooooo mad at myself last night. WHERE WAS A CONTINUITY TESTER WHEN I NEEDED IT :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts