Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered an aftermarket set of chrome wheels and will be having Discount Tire taking off the old wheels & replace with new ones (keeping tires)! I have the tire pressure monitoring system and was wondering what, if anything, Discount Tire has to do to keep the TPMS working and not screw it up? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think that the TPMS mounts on the inside part of the valve stem...(someone correct me if I'm wrong). I know that there are wheels out there that dont work with this as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just changed my rims to chrome, and had to keep the TPSM in order when they took them off the old rims. There is a nut that you have to take off that holds the TPS in Place from the Valve stem and monitor. it is easy to take off just try not to mess up the order :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just ordered the chrome SL rims for mine. What do you tell the people swapping the rims over? I don't think they've ever messed with stuff like this and I don't want them to screw it up.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The Service Manual warns you to be careful of the valve stem area when you mount or dis-mount tires on wheels equipped with the TPMS. Apparently they can be damaged by "normally careless tire mounting folks" as they are located on the back of the valve stem inside the tire.

I think if you just get it written on the service order up front, you'll be covered, even if they screw it up. I'd make sure I had a very good tire shop doing the work if they were my new Chrome wheels!

Now, who's got that parts catalog for the cost of the replacement TPMS transmitter, if they do destroy one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am having my new chrome wheels mounted by Discount Tire & so I advised them about the TPMS so they could put it on the work order! They called a local Nissan dealership who said that sometimes, no matter how careful you are exchanging the wheels or tires, even if they are kept in the correct order, the system may need to be reset by Nissan. It's a $40 charge to bring it to Nissan for them to reset it per Performance Nissan in Everett, Washington!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wonder if I had Nissan to swap the wheels out this price would be included? (for the swap)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts