Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put new wheels on my Murano and I have been hearing a bunch of different views. Some say the 20's make the ride harsh and are not very good in the snow. Some of the wheel and tire companies here say to stay at 18 because the added weight of the 20's will take it's toll on gas mileage, wear and tear and will void the warrenty. Any opinions or pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tire Upgrade/Downgrade Chart

apa.ca has a chart of upping and downing. Larger tires, lower profile, larger rim, etc.

·
Windy City MO :)
137 Posts
We've got some members her who are riding on 20s. I'm sure they'll have some good input.

A friend of mine has a Cherokee and he mentioned that when he went to 20", he could feel more of the bumps in the road.

·
4,664 Posts
Less sidewall means less sidewall to flex, means harsher ride, but also better for cornering.... So it all depends on what you want. Most people do it for the looks though....

·
Registered
792 Posts
Going to a lower profile tire is going to increase the harshness of the ride. The tire absorbs a lot of the small bumps in the road along with the shocks. So if you decrease the size of the side wall there is going to be less material to absorb this.

I guess everyone has a different level of tolerance for a ride. Some like firm - some like soft. It is all in your tastes.

If it were me - which soon could be...

I'd get a nice set of 20's for the summer. Use the factory 18's for the winter with a nice set of snow tires. The salt tends to be unfriendly to wheel finishes. If you are going to use the aftermarket wheels year around - keep 'em clean.

·
Registered
792 Posts
More thoughts if you will....

Sidewall height - the shorter it is the less flex it will have in the turns. Better Handling.

Weight - could possibly cause gas mileage to suffer depending on driving style. Once you are cruising - I'd say it wouldn't make a difference. What is to say the overall weight of the wheel/tire combo is going to be greater? Most factory wheels aren't designed to be light. Lowering the unsprung weight (wheels) is going to increase handling and allow the suspension to work faster.

If the MO hooked up real hard - I'd say the sidewall height COULD effect the acceleration. However the MO doesn't make the sidewalls flex on take-off. If you are having a hard time visualizing - watch a Top Fuel Drag car's rear tires sometime :eek:

I would say 0-60 times wouldn't change. 60-0 possible change if you went with a slightly wider tire.

I'm done for now........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts