Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my old wiper blades have had it,
after a winter of snow and ice in CT.

So i was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for good wipers, and what site you ordered them from.
also i looks like the sizes are 26 and 12 inches, is this correct?

thanks for the help.
and i did do some searches for this, but really didn't find anything definite on wiper replacement options.

-Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
I'm also in CT. I put on Teflon winter blades. Ordered then from Pep Boys online in the Murano sizes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
My 2 cents on Winter blades.

Every time I have tried using a winter blades on any vehicle, I took them off and threw them in the garbage. The only purpose a winter blade serves is to encase the pivot points so the wiper, when exposed to water does not freeze the blade in a curvred position and wipe only at the edges of the blade. The rubber membrane makes the surface area so big that at highway speeds they tend to lift up and not wipe at all. My girlfriend complained that she needed winter blades last year and I explained the rather large problem with them. I ended up buying a set for her (never argue with a woman) After about a week of use she came back and said I was right and the blades were almost useless at highway speeds. (wow did that feel good :2: ) Any way, another set in the garbage and another lesson learned. The MO has an extremely long passenger arm and I am positive a wiper blade will become airborne at less than highway speeds in this application. Just the regular standard low profile blade which comes with the MO does a very poor job so you can forget about a winter blade. Yes the standard blades can freeze in a curved position but this does not happen very often and a simple few taps of the blade will get it working like it was summer time again. I do live in Montreal, Canada so I do know what cold and snow is all about and I have been driving for 30 years in this stuff. Anyone want to back me up on this?

My advice is to replace worn blades with a low profile, silicone based blade. They work the best and last the longest and forget about winter blades. If you do not want to take my advice, please install a set and get back to me with the results. I am sure the outcome will be the same as my girlfriends.
 

·
SHIFT_FASTER
Joined
·
1,437 Posts
I have winter blades, and yes, there are 2 problems with them. The first, like Snowride mentioned is that they lift off easily at higher speeds. I have a bug deflector, and they don't lift off as bad, but it's still a problem.

The second problem I've noticed, and this may be because I bought generic winter blades, is that the contact point with the wiper arm is higher, and due to the location of the sprayers, the washer fluid usually hits the wiper, and doesn't spray above it.

I wouldn't live without them, although they are going in storage come summer. I like how you don't have to stop every 10 minutes to clear the ice off the arms.

The sizes are 26" and 19", although 24" and 18" have been reported to work well too. I was told that 19" were the most common size here ($9C), and the 26" had to be ordered ($40C!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I've tried various "winter" blades and have to agree with Snowride -- for the number of advantages (one, I think), the disadvantages far outweigh/outnumber them.

I think I posted something about this elsewhere on the site, but it never hurts to repeat: get the Tridon/Trico Teflon blade. Yes, they're expensive but they're worth it. If the US aftermarket is anything like ours, DO NOT buy, say, Pep Boys store brand of Teflon wiper made by Trico/Tridon and assume it's the same compound/quality as the one marketed directly under Trico/Tridon's name. We have this sort of thing up here with Canadian Tire -- the CT blades (Teflon, made by T/T) aren't even close to the same quality.

And they come in the exact sizes for the MO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
SilBlade

I recently purchased SilBlade wipers to replace the originals. Didn't know if anyone else has tried them? They are made from GE silicone and have a 5-year guarantee. There hasn't been a lot of rain to really try them out, but so far they seem to work smoothly, quietly, and streak-free. Of course, any new blade should do a good job. Time will tell.

Bought them from TruckCustomizers.com. They were the only place I could find that carried all the sizes (26", 19" and 14"). Price: $13.29 each, $47.87 shipped.

The only trouble I ran into was with the rear wiper. Damn! That thing is like a medieval torture device. The SilBlade frame piece isn't sized quite right at the pin to fit the MO's weird little mount. So, I just switched out the refill blade and had to trim a 1/4" in the process. Switching wasn't an easy task either. Next time, I'll just get the replacement from Nissan. Maybe this won't be a problem with the '05 models having a different arm.

The blades can be ordered in several colors if you so choose. You can even get the frame and blade in matching colors. I went with the standard black. It's more of a metallic charcoal color. Very nice! Also, they have winter blades available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Trev said:
Has anyone tried these Trico Innovision hingeless blades. There marketing claims are impressive, citing increased performance in snow as well.

Canadian Tire sells them here as a house brand called Reflex but have been out of stock.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2838&location_id=65
Trev
I was lucky enough to get a set of Reflex from Canadian Tire and I am completly happy with them. With no hinges I did not have to worry about ice build up on them. I have been trying to get another set for my VW but they are on back order for the last month.



:D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
dmako said:
Do these fit the Murano?

On the Trico site thay are not listed for the Murano.


Yes, there is a listing for Murano, at least in a Canadian tire store. They fit find and are very easy to install, but the drivers side wiper is about 1/4" shorter that the OEM blade. I have not noticed any difference in window veiwing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Trico has the Innovision blades for the Mo. We had a discussion on them a number of months ago with GRIP. He got the sizes needed for Mo by calling Trico directly. You can do a search to find it or call.

I was looking at the blades too. The only downside is that you would have to replace the whole blade, since Trico doesn't make wiper refills for it. But that's not a big expense, so not too bad.

What would make that innovision blade better is if they put a silicon blae on it... or teflon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
mozman said:
Trico has the Innovision blades for the Mo. We had a discussion on them a number of months ago with GRIP. He got the sizes needed for Mo by calling Trico directly. You can do a search to find it or call.

I was looking at the blades too. The only downside is that you would have to replace the whole blade, since Trico doesn't make wiper refills for it. But that's not a big expense, so not too bad.

What would make that innovision blade better is if they put a silicon blae on it... or teflon.
The experiance that I have had on the highway in a heavy wet snow storm impressed me as the wipers did not curl up and did not allow the snow or ice to gather on the blade.

We are now heading into the rainy season and I am heading to Victoria on Vancouver island were they have lots of liquid sunshine at this time of year. I will let you know how they handle that type of rain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
RE:dmako - all you need is the 19" and 24"

My Trico winter wipers are 26" and 18" sooooo 19" and 24"?


MO Dale said:
Interesting find! But, very weird looking!

dmako - all you need is the 19" and 24"

Amazon.com has them - Link 19" Link 24"



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
the trico/ reflex blades are pretty damn good. had them all winter and lasted without problems and they don't tend to lift at highway speeds. the passenger side on is still a bit of a problem though. b/c of the long application the the farther away from the center of the arm you go, the less pressure there is on the windsheild causing some streaking. but they get the job done were needed. i suggest getting a pair if possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
The original blades are 19" and 26", but longest I found on Amazon for the Innovision was 24" which will still work. Maybe there's a 26" that I just haven't found during my searching. :8:

dmako said:
RE:dmako - all you need is the 19" and 24"

My Trico winter wipers are 26" and 18" sooooo 19" and 24"?
 

·
Enjoying the ride…
Joined
·
465 Posts
Re: SilBlade

MO Dale said:
I recently purchased SilBlade wipers to replace the originals. Didn't know if anyone else has tried them? They are made from GE silicone and have a 5-year guarantee. There hasn't been a lot of rain to really try them out, but so far they seem to work smoothly, quietly, and streak-free. Of course, any new blade should do a good job. Time will tell.

Bought them from TruckCustomizers.com. They were the only place I could find that carried all the sizes (26", 19" and 14"). Price: $13.29 each, $47.87 shipped.

The only trouble I ran into was with the rear wiper. Damn! That thing is like a medieval torture device. The SilBlade frame piece isn't sized quite right at the pin to fit the MO's weird little mount. So, I just switched out the refill blade and had to trim a 1/4" in the process. Switching wasn't an easy task either. Next time, I'll just get the replacement from Nissan. Maybe this won't be a problem with the '05 models having a different arm.

The blades can be ordered in several colors if you so choose. You can even get the frame and blade in matching colors. I went with the standard black. It's more of a metallic charcoal color. Very nice! Also, they have winter blades available.

Some time pass since you install those blades, so what do you think? Are they worht to try? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Re: Re: SilBlade

Murano_driver said:

Some time pass since you install those blades, so what do you think? Are they worht to try? Thanks
The Silblades are great! They continue to run streak free and are quiet except for an occassional thunk from the driver's side blade when changing directions. There doesn't seem to be a problem with it, just that sometimes it's louder than normal. I suppose it could be higher friction.

The rear blade is fine, too. But, as I mentioned in an earlier post I wouldn't bother with it on a '03 or '04 due to a very difficult installation. Next time I'll get a new blade from the dealer.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top