Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey...i am a newbie to this site and to the Murano. I just got my Murano about a week ago after trading in my 2001 maxima gle. I have the S AWD, and its awesome. Being the base model, the S doesn't have fog lights at all. Does anybody know if i can have the dealer install them and maybe about how much they might be?
Also, i noticed a thread on gas mileage, and so far i havent been getting more than 10mpg. Should i be concerned? thanks Newb

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
krazyrich21, hey there and welcome to the best Murano action on the net. I can't say for sure about the fog lights. Does anyone know if the wires are down there or not? Could be a big how do you do if they have to wire and add a switch. Now on my SL the switch is wired into the light control stick on the steering column. Wonder if yours is the same? Maybe the stick is there and the fog function does not operate anything or is the fog function not even on your stick? There is not a separate button for the fogs...hmmm. Better ask the dealer how much for that deal.
Do not concern yourself with the MPG right now. That engine is tight and things need to settle in for a while. When I came home from the dealer after delivery I saw 11 MPG and freaked. Now at 16000 miles I'm getting 21 MPG and that is very little highway driving. Most of it it rural 55 MPH with stop lights and light traffic. It will get better every week as time goes on. I also noted about a 1 MPG increase using the recommended high test gas.
Good luck with your new MO.
By the way, all new members from Brooklyn have to go down to Juniors and buy everyone on this list a Juniors cheese cake!
Bob1
:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi there,

Sorry, I cannot answer your question about the fog lights, but I can tell you that I have been averaging about 20 MPH with my 2005 SL. I have had it since the 21st of February....

I suspect a lot of it has to do with the type of driving (city vs. hwy) as well as how hard you like to step on the gas. I just wanted to let you know what I was seeing for comparison purposes.

Enjoy your car!

Beth

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks bob and beth for the quick and informative reply. as for the light control stick, there is no fog light notch like there was on my maxima and my parents pathfinder. i was thinkin that perhaps if i brought it to the dealer, they could install the fogs and just wire it with the regular headlights so that whenever i turn on the headlights from the light control stick, the fogs would automatically come on.

as for my gas mileage, i dont really punch it out, i keep the rpms less than 3000, but, i do live in brooklyn and it is stop light after stoplight...etc so hopefully it will get better once the engine is broken in. thanks very much

·
4,664 Posts
You need to get down there and have a look, to see if the fogs will go in. The easier side to check, is the drivers. Turn the wheels all the way to the right, and you can remove the plastic wheel well, by pulling out a number of clips, which will then allow you to see in behind where the fogs would go. Then you can look to see if there's any wiring there for them.

As far as the actual lights, they are shared between many Nissans. For example the fogs on the Altima are identical. The fog lights are held in with one (yes, only one) bolt through the top. I would suspect you have plastic inserts where the fogs would go, that could be removed and then, hopefully, you would have the same capability to install the fogs. I would be surprised if Nissan paid to have another bumper cover made that's different, as that would not be cost-effective for them.

So even if you can't find wiring you can use, you could install your own and put a switch, perhaps on the left side where the VDC switch would have been.

FYI for anyone with fog lights. Did you know they are height adjustable? You can change how high or low they aim, but it's a bit of a pain to get to the adjuster.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Welcome! Enjoy your MO... I love mine (2003 SL AWD) and wish my morning comute was longer. I just love driving this car... comfortable, good leg room, fairly good gadgets.... OK OK I'll stop now... you bought one too. :p

Regarding your gas mileage... its easy to get poor mileage with the MO... be gentle with the gas pedal. If you are gentle and get through the break in your mileage should improve significantly.

Are you being heavy footed with the pedal? Try to keep it below 2K RPMs and see if you mileage goes up. I suspect it will. Of course without saying don't drive in Ds mode.... that will hurt too. I know some members drive in Ds mode most of the time.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If your S model is prewired, you can buy the foglight kit from the dealer and put it in yourself. I believe the procedure would be similar to when I added SE foglights to my GXE Maxima.

1) Using tool of your choice (I used an exacto knife and some sandpaper) cut out the bumper hole for the foglight - it should be held on by just a few tabs, so there will not be much cutting.

2) Install foglight mounting bracket, tighten bolts

3) Attach foglight wiring harness

4) Install foglight relay under hood

5) Replace existing signal/headlight stalk with the one supplied in the kit which has foglight switch. This will require you to take apart the steering column cover and possibly some lower dash kickplates.

All in all, I would say its about a 2 hour job if you have all the tools and instructions available.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm in the same boat as krazyrick21. I went cheap and bought the AWD S model. After a week driving it, I loved it and regretted not getting one with more features. So far I upgraded the radio speakers by adding the tweeters in the dash and I've installed a dim mirror with homelink and compass.

I'm trying to upgrade and keep it as stock as possible.

I'm hoping the wires for the fogs are there like the tweeter wires were. The mirror was a different story. I ended up buying the whole kit (OEM, but not from dealer - much much cheaper) with wiring harness. Overall, a very easy install for both.

If the fog wires are there - I wish Nissan would hurry and provide a fog kit like on their other vehicles. Has anyone had a chance to confirm weather the wires are present. If I do not hear from anyone soon, I may venture on discovering it for myself real soon.

Love this site and can't wait to someday try the HID upgrade as posted here.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by Gonzo

Are you being heavy footed with the pedal? Try to keep it below 2K RPMs and see if you mileage goes up. I suspect it will. Of course without saying don't drive in Ds mode.... that will hurt too. I know some members drive in Ds mode most of the time. [/B]

I agree with Gonzo in keeping your revs below 2000 Rpm. I just finished a drive from Calgary to Victoria on the west coast and got 9.0lts/100Km which I think worked out to 26 Mpg/USgal. It was a 1000 Km trip through two mountain ranges and a great drive that only lasted 10 hours and 30 minutes.:29:

S

·
0 Posts
bob1 said:
Do not concern yourself with the MPG right now. That engine is tight and things need to settle in for a while. When I came home from the dealer after delivery I saw 11 MPG and freaked. Now at 16000 miles I'm getting 21 MPG and that is very little highway driving. Most of it it rural 55 MPH with stop lights and light traffic. It will get better every week as time goes on. I also noted about a 1 MPG increase using the recommended high test gas.
When I saw the 11MPG on the screen I was like :eek:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I think you should get aftermarket fog light....

Jaak wrote: So even if you can't find wiring you can use, you could install your own and put a switch, perhaps on the left side where the VDC switch would have been.
I think it will be better for you to go for aftermarket "true" fog light like hella or PIAA. It will look better. Murano's fog lights, imho, are of moderate quality.

Try this one form Hella with projector lens: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/hella/micro_de.jsp

Or this one from PIAA:
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/piaa/P5130_510_matrix_fog.jsp

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sugarrush,

I'm not really kean on the Hellas. I've has fogs with black trim before and they seem to pit in no time. The PIAAs look real nice, but I want to be able to use the stock signal stalk to turn the fogs on and off - if the wire harness is present.

Although, has anyone installed the PIAAs. I'd love to see pics and know how easy/difficult they were to install. With all the fog light bulb changing cursing in here - I could just imagine how hard of a time it would be to install a retro in that space.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
biggun said:
With all the fog light bulb changing cursing in here - I could just imagine how hard of a time it would be to install a retro in that space.
I have not done it, but from what I have read on this forum, it is much easier to just undo a nut and drop the whole light assembly than to try to replace the bulb when the light is still in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts