Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm this close to buying a Murano. I notice that the murano has less hp than the fx35 with the same engine. Can this be rectified?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I know of no way to easily upgrade the computer to take advantage of the tuning on other Nissans with the 3.5L engine. The 245hp rating on the Murano is mainly due to the design limits of the CVT I believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if I buy an se version I don't get the cvt right? It seems like the same manumatic you get with the fx35.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The SE has the same CVT transmission but has the option to manually shift it like a 6 speed similar to the triptronic VW/Audi transmissions. The FX doesn't have a CVT but a conventional automatic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just bought an SE for the manumatic function. It holds the "belt" in one position to make it feel as though it is a traditional geared transmission. It's very quick to shift so it convinced me to trade in a 5 speed manual for this (of course the heated seats helped too!).

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
The CVT has a controller that knows your RPM, what you are inputting to the throttle, and knows each pulley's width. It gives the pulley's the desired width for gear-X you select under the conditions of throttle input and RPM: really, as the engineers put it--it is an advisement rather than an order when you select gears or mash the gas pedal. That is far and away from coventional transmissions and throttle cables.
Works for me.
:D

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have noticed that even in "manual shift" mode, the tranny is still very CVT-ish in behavior. If I put it in, say, 2nd "gear" and mash the throttle, the RPMs still jump immediately up as the CVT makes a quick adjustment and then tapers off a tad.

I think instead of thinking of it as a static "gear ratio", each "gear" just has a target ratio but will still dynamically adjust to a certain extent.

Anyone else noticed this?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
special-k said:
I have noticed that even in "manual shift" mode, the tranny is still very CVT-ish in behavior. If I put it in, say, 2nd "gear" and mash the throttle, the RPMs still jump immediately up as the CVT makes a quick adjustment and then tapers off a tad.

I think instead of thinking of it as a static "gear ratio", each "gear" just has a target ratio but will still dynamically adjust to a certain extent.

Anyone else noticed this?
This is the way I feel the S and L behave on my '03.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok my brain is stating to hurt now! Do we know for sure it's the cvt that's the limiting factor? Seems to me if I had two vehicles as similar as the fx35 and the Murano and one is about 6k more. It would have to be a lot better than the Murano. I drove both and found them similar. Was the fx better? Um yeah. 6k better? NO!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
The interior of the fx is superior from the murano..

in terms of the material quality, execution, fit and finish.
Also, murano is FWD based (AWD kicks in if needed) while the fx is RWD (AWD kicks in if needed).
So the handling of the fx is meant to be even closer to a rwd sport sedan

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yes K

that's why the engineers say it is an "advisement" when selecting gears. You advise, it puts the numbers together and logicly reacts....in the direction you want. The controller still is da boss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts