Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the forum!

I currently own a 2013 Ford Escape EcoBoost that has been a great daily driver for the past 3+ years. I plan to keep the Escape and pass it over to my wife to replace her aging 2004 Aztek (that one has been a trooper)

I have never owned a Nissan but I've seen both sides of ownership via friends and family. My brother had a Sentra wagon that he bore no mercy and it ran forever with little to no issues. However a co-worker has several Nissans and every one was a problem child. All car makers produce their share of lemons so that just happens sometimes. I also have an associate from a local car group that has owned a string of Maximas and swears by them, saying they are the most bulletproof car he's ever owned.
I'd like to step up to a slightly larger crossover than my Escape so I have looked at the Edge but after browsing a few late model Muranos on Autotrader and watching a few video reviews, I am intrigued. I do like the swoopy style and the V6 sans turbo, along with the nice list of goodies on the Platinum trim.
I'm quite sure I'm not the first to express concerns over the CVT but I've always found owner forums are the absolute best place to get solid information.
So a 3rd gen (2016 or newer) would be on my shopping list and I will be buying used to keep my budget. Are there glaring items I should be checking for? Is there a certain model year/trim I should avoid? I am a huge lover of big a sunroof so has that caused any issues?
I'm also big on a doing a few mild mods to my cars so wheel/tire pkg is a gimme, better brake pads & slotted rotors and probably an intake and Magnaflow mufflers.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to chattering with you! :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I test drove a 2017 Platinum MO today, Pearl white w/ Graphite interior and 61k miles. I have to admit I was impressed! The seats were very comfy and adjustability was good. The power feature that moves the seat back and steering column up for entry/exit is something that could spoil me quickly, although I do wish the wheel extended out just a bit farther. That said, the seating position while driving was excellent along with very good foot room. I also see why the seat heat/cool controls were relocated in 18 since the forward location is a touch cramped but not terrible. Back seat room was a bit cramped but the front seat was all the way back and cramped for me is typically generous for others given my 6'3"- 300 size.
Visibility was good and the sunroof admits generous light which I love. There was a bit more wind/road noise than I expected but still not offensive. I assume there is variable power steering since the feel was very light in the parking lot but much better weighted at speed. The 3.5 belies its 260hp rating and moves the car briskly I felt and was eager to kick down a ratio or two when you hit the loud pedal. The MO had no trouble merging into highway traffic and zipped to 90mph without much effort. I also have to give the car credit for having one of the more aggressive engine/exhaust notes for a bone stock vehicle I've heard in a while. Reviews I'd read called the handling soft but a couple of charges around interstate on/off ramps makes me question that view. Even at my most aggressive speed body roll was minimal and not a hint of tire squealing protest. Dash readout indicated a 21.6 avg mpg but no telling how the car has been driven of late.
The only harsh complaint I truly had was as I drove back to the dealer (heading south) the sunlight glare reflecting off the hood was almost blinding, glinting on the body line near the windshield. Its the first time I ever felt a flat black hood would be an added bonus! LOL
The only other downside I noted was with the CVT....yes, its a different experience, but not terribly off-putting. When I drive hilly mountain roads I tend to gear down on long grades to help control speed and save the brakes from overheating. Manually gearing down the CVT seemed to have much less effect on engine braking. I assume this is a nature of the beast but I was trying in on flat ground.
Overall I'd say it was a big win for the MO! :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having to wait until my convertible is paid off is both a blessing and a curse. It gives me ample time to shop and gather information but it also opens the door to distractions. In the parking lot at work I saw a gorgeous dark blue Maxima. It had to be a 2019 or newer since it had the full LED headlights, but inside and out...what a stunner! Granted, its not a Murano SUV but it teased me with all the sedans I owned before I ever bought the Escape I have now.
Did any of you face this same dilemma? What made you choose the Murano over the Maxima?
I have to admit I love the interior, the console control knob and the flat-bottom steering wheel. I also love the concept of 300hp and it means once again not having AWD or huge trunk space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts