Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all. I am (and have been for almost 3 years) the proud owner of a 2002 PT Cruiser Dream Cruiser Series I:

I have watch the Moranos with mild to moderate interest for the past few years. Yesterday at a big car show, I actually got to sit in one. I was extremely impressed with the amenities and room. The next step is to drive one and see if it is something i want to trade up to.

I need some feedback from Morano owners who have no agenda to tell me the real story of how you like your ride. I know what the salesman is telling me. My heart has been with my PT for so long, that it is very hard for me to give it up, but here in the Pac.NW I need something that is going to be a reliable AWD vehicle in the snow and ice.

Husband fits in it perfectly. He needs a really good vehicle for long trips because of a back injury. The PT just does not fill that bill. He has a Chrysler Pacifica right now and has trouble getting in and out of it. The Morano has lots of in/out space.

Anyway, 'nuff rambling. I just need lots of people to tell me what you think?!?!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Fit: The Murano (MO) fits big and tall people perfect. I'm 6' 2" and the MO fits like a glove. Most cars leave me looking for more leg room.

Finish: It varies, I have a early 2003, and to me, it have too many squeeks and rattles for the price. But I am VERY pickey is this area.

That's the kiiler for me, drives, fits, and handles like a dream, but those squeeks and rattles drive me nuts. Can't have eveything I guess, but for $30K+.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Murano was the final choice after test-sitting in over 60 vehicles over a three-month span.

My wife has an extremely bad back - the ability to get the most vertical seating position with the power leather seats (the cloth seats do not come up as vertical as the leather) along with the flat floor surface was a deciding factor. Most floors have some sort of bump / hump / intrusion that do not allow a "kitchen chair / floor" stance. There is a very slight offset on the passenger side that has been corrected with a thin foam pad cut to fit the depression, and then covered with a thicker foam pad to provide a virtually flat surface when the stock floor mat is put in place on top.

For the first time in years, as a passenger, she actually goes to sleep on the longer road trips. In addition, we make longer distances because she is still comfortable in the seating. We are in the Northern CA (Sonoma County) area, and have routinely made 2-day trips to Spokane and 1-day trips to San Diego.

The adjustable pedal location is another plus, as she is also short in stature.

The spaciousness of the seating area (front and rear) is another aspect that we (and our back seat passengers) appreciate, as we are "portly".

The height of the Murano means that entry and exit is mostly a matter of horizontal movement - you are not dropping down in to the seats nor are you having to hoist yourself out.

Stablility at speed, with the weight of the Murano, coupled with decent (for the size and weight) mileage - typically 23 mpg at 70 mph - is another plus, along with the power to move out when the urge hits...:)...!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
SUNSPOT

First welcome, glad to have you posting.

I have had two MO's and a lot of other cars. I think it is Great form every aspect.

Price, Features, Interior room, ride SL, Safety 6 Bags + Seat belt pretensiones and energy aborsbing take up reels, 05 have eliminated the introduction "things" Get it. you will love it.

GRIP :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My husband wanted me to also mention that the Mo we were looking at has that new variable (whatever) transmission. It is a gal thing; I can't remember. It also has the AWD and all the computer bells & whistles.

Will any of this make the mileage go up or down? I read a couple of horror-story posts about mileage being terrible, along with rattles and front end problems.

Are these just once in a while flukes?? Or is anyone else / everyone else experiencing problems.

These are questions that need to be addressed before I take the next step. We purchased the Pacifica as a first year vehicle. It has a myriad of problems that the mfg is having to fix on a monthly basis right down to replacing the transmission after only 25,000 miles. :eek: :eek:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Hello sunspot, welcome to the forum.

I will try to answer your questions:

1. About transmission
The transmision in the murano is CVT = continuous variable transmission.
It has been used in AUDI A4 sedan for a while.
Lexus RX400 hybrid, coming out in april 2005, use this technology as well. There are less moving parts, less things to break and hence gives better fuel economy for an suv.
Nissan used it firsttime in the murano and I think it is one of the strongest selling point of this SUV in comparsion to the honda pilot or toyota hilander. Drive is so smooth and engine is very responsive.
There are only a very few forum members (less than 3 ppl) whose transmission need to be replaced by Nissan. All under warranty.
I dont think you should be worry about the CVT.

2. MPG (mile per gallon).
When you innitially purchase a new vehicle. It is still in the broken in period. MPG: 12 - 15 mpg...
After 4,500 miles or so ..Murano is one of the most fuelefficient midsize suv I have ever seen/known (besides the hybrids of course). Average is 24 mpg highways and 15 mpg city.
Again, the CVT transmission does help.

3. Rattles.
This is a more common problem.
In my murano, it only happen when it is very cold (35F or less) outside. Quite common i think for cars in this price range. But nothing that is very annoying. It is just a minor "tick ..tick.." very intermittent and on bumpy roads...

4. Front end problems
What front end problem???? :confused:

If you get the 05, i believe most of knacks and knicks have been solved. GripperDon, may be able to give you a better opinion as he owns an 05 and 04.

Good luck with the shopping, post pictures when you bring her home...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Sunspot, and welcome!

I've had my MO now for 20 mths (31k miles), and it is honestly the best car I have ever owned. (Had an Accord Coupe before this one and a Mazda 626 before that.)

The first reason I started looking at them was simply size. I definitely wanted an upgrade from the coupe, and the sedans just weren't intersting me anymore. Down here in Texas, the bigger the better (or at least the better the bigger ones see you!) So, I test drove a Pilot (way to boring), a Highlander (loved them when the came out, but just couldn't shell out that much money, plus the Toyota dealer totally stank). I didn't want to go any larger because I'm only 5'2" and didn't want an SUV that overpowered me.

The test drive went great on my MO. I loved the feel (built on the Altima platform so very car like). Lots of options, and although I wasn't really looking for NAV on my car, I can't live without it now. The pedals that move forward were a plus. Since I'm so short, I always hated sitting so close to the steering wheel with the air bag. Not a problem now!

I have a 55 mile commute to work each day (total both ways), and I get about 21mpg. It's just as good as the Accord Coupe, and better than anything else I've owned.

As for the rattles mentioned, I do have one in my driver's door, but it's seldom and doesn't really bother me too much. It also stops if I simply lean my elbow against the door right underneath the window.

So, to sum it up. Best car decision I have ever made. I never had buyers remorse with the purchase, and highly recommend the vehicle to anyone who asks me about it. In my opinion, you can't go wrong!

Good luck with the research. And definitely let us know what you decide on.

Lil' Bit :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Salesman used bad back problems to sell the CVT,no shifting shocks,I don't have a bad back so don't know if shifting hurts. Wife loves getting in and out without climbing up or down.As has been said elsewhere, alot of negatives told here, the positives seem to be shy.I've had mine 3 months and having fun driving and updating(personalizing) it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for your reply. It is really tearing my loyalty strings to get rid of my little SUNSPOT. It has been a great car with absolutely no problems whatsoever. But it is very hard on my husband to ride in it or drive it. I guess when all the chips are down a 32 year marriage is worth more than a little gold car:(

Can anyone tell me what color of leather holds up better? I am leaning toward the Red with the redish leather interior.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the charcoal and love it. I have some slight wrinkles on the side of the driver's seat just from getting in and out (I tend to slide out and down since I'm shorter so the seat is actually a step up for me.) No other problems though. Cleans up super easy but does show dust faster.

I've read in some other threads on the Cafe Latte leather. Here are some of the links...
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3395&highlight=cafe+latte

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3685&highlight=cafe+latte

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3396&highlight=cafe+latte

The redish is actually Nissan's Cabernet color. Not really as much discussion on the board for that color, but did find:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3051&highlight=cabernet

Hope this helps... Lil' Bit

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Sunspot, I think that many of the problems from the early 2003 Murano have been ironed out.

But don't expect it to be as reliable as your Chrysler (That way if it is, it will be a positive!).

Certainly I had some culture shock.
My 97 Chrysler T&C never went to the dealer in warranty and after 6 years It had only one trip for maint when the serpentine belt broke at 60,000 miles.

My MO had 6 trips to the dealer in 6 months.
Quite a culture shock.
I still don't trust people who tell me how great japanese cars are........ ;)

But GOOD news.....for the next 12 months nothing has gone wrong.
And I am getting 18MPG in suburbia and 23 MPG at 75 MPH.
And of course there are the looks....a mighty fine looking xover.:cool:
And yes it is a VERY comfortable car (I have a herniated disc and can drivethe MO all day)
And yes it has the best back seat in the biz.

All in all a good car.........

and I think the 05s are MUCH better than the 03s were.

As to leather, if you clean and treat the leather every 4 or 5 months (takes 20 minutes) ALL of them will age gracefully.

Homer

PS this is a great forum with one minor problem.......
People are very egotistical about THEIR Muranos.
so they will say some downright cruel things about others Colors, etc.
You can ether shine it on or attack their color, etc

Since I think defaming anothers choice is a bit infantile, I just shine it on.....Your MO will look good no matter what color leather you choose.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Hey and Welcome! I have an 03... and love it. The car has be pretty quiet... ride rather well even for its size. I had some minor issues after first purchase but since then no problems. Gas millage will be a bit less than your PT.

If I was going to purchase a new car now... I would do it all over again.

Take one for a drive and report your findings here. I'm curious what you will think.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sunspot,

I have only had mine a little over 2 months now so my experience is limited but the only complaint I have is the gas mileage. This was the deciding factor in me buying the Mo and even though I know it's not broke in yet I'm only getting around 14 mpg the last 2 tanks. Other than that it's a great vehicle. :cool:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Not many miles yet but overall average is right qt 18mpg.

A light foot and useing the cruze control will see you get really great numbers. GRIP :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Not many miles yet but overall average is right qt 18mpg.

GripperDon said:
A light foot and useing the cruze control will see you get really great numbers. GRIP :D
Fortunately for any vehicle I purchase, we live 60 miles from the nearest town. 99.9% of my driving is highway miles with cruise control engaged.

With 40,000 miles on my PT, it has yet to even look like the brakes (pads of rotors) have been used. That might be why the engine, or anything else, shows almost no signs of wear.

The new MO will get the best of attention. I am a very good "new car mommie".

I am also a good Rattie Mommie:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, this is my first post as a new owner of an 04 Murano. Actually it is my wifes, she has had it a week today. It's a gold SL with chrome wheels and all the bells & whistles, except NAV and XM. So far (850mi) we really like it a lot!! Her last two vehicles were Fords, an Explorer 10 yr old and 150000 miles and an Expidition 175000mi and 7ys old. Both were Eddie Bauer models. Only problem other than normal maint. items was an alternator on the Expedition, increadable reliability. So, it took a lot for her to do anything other than another Ford SUV! We looked at and test drove an Explorer, Highlander and the Murano. The Murano won out, actually I think it is more comfortable then either of the Fords were. Certanally faster, and looks great. Go for it, I think you'll be pleased!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, everyone, for all of the wonderful feedback. Even the few negatives were so helpful. It is hard to make a decision on anything with only positives.

it is sounding more and more like something I want to do. My only HUGE concern is how to get to the dealership incognito. The place I want to purchase the car from is exactly right across the street from the dearlership that sold me my little SUNSPOT and our Pacifica. They have been so good to me. I think there would be a disappointment on their part. But I am sure they will get over it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: Not many miles yet but overall average is right qt 18mpg.

GripperDon said:

Grip in your experiecne do you find that CC really helped with milleage? IMHO I can do a better job than the CC to improve milleage. At least out here the land isn't flat and I find the CC it do agressive when trying to maintain a desired speed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Loving IT

HI Sunspot,

I'm Pickles, a new member to the murano club. I love the color of your car!!! I just bought a 2004 Glacier Pearl White Murano on the 5th of March, I wanted a much brighter color but got outvoted by hubby. I traded a 2004 Nissan Quest for it. Hated that thing. I called it a "Blue Blob"; Much too big and just wasn't ME.:2: My hubby loved it but I couldn't stand to drive it.

I Love the murano, Thats what I wanted last year when we got the Quest.

GO ahead and try it, you'll be glad you did. Mine gets 20.6 miles a gallon according to the digital thingy. I love all the bells and whistles. I was going to write more but hubby just called and his 1995 Ford quit on him, gotta go pick him up.

Type at ya later,

·
Registered
844 Posts
Re: Re: Not many miles yet but overall average is right qt 18mpg.

Gonzo said:

Grip in your experiecne do you find that CC really helped with milleage? IMHO I can do a better job than the CC to improve milleage. At least out here the land isn't flat and I find the CC it do agressive when trying to maintain a desired speed.
I can say from experience that using the CC will improve your gas mileage there is no way you can adjust your foot fast enough to keep your car at a constant speed evenly. I find with the CC on I sometime forget how high the RPMs get. I have climb a 6% grade and the Mo never got above 3000 RPM and probably did not even break into a sweat. How about you Grip, same experience?:roadtrip:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts