Discussion Starter #1
Anyone aware this I found it at the NHTSA website. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Complaints Summary

Make: NISSAN
Model: MURANO
Year: 2004
Complaint Number: 10065793
Summary:
GAS TANK PLACEMENT AND DESIGN IS POORLY ENGINEERED, PROMOTING THE OPPORTUNITY FOR CATASTROPHIC INCIDENTS WHEN THE DRIVER IS NOT AT FAULT. DEATH TO INNOCENT VICTIMS CAN OCCUR WITH NO COLLISION IN NEAR IDEAL CONDITIONS. *AK SPECIFICALLY, THE DESIGN OF THE GAS TANK AND EXPOSURE TO ROAD HAZARDS IS A MAJOR SAFETY FLAW. THE GAS TANK IS PLASTIC (NOT UNUSUAL TODAY) AND OPEN TO OBJECTS THAT CAN FLY OFF THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL. THE FRONT OF THE GAS TANK IS OPENLY EXPOSED, WITH NO PROTECTION TO PREVENT THE PUNCTURE OF THE GAS TANK, UNKNOWING TO THE DRIVER, LEADING TO POTENTIAL DEATH. MY PARTICULAR INCIDENT OCCURRED WHILE TURNING LEFT THROUGH AN INTERSECTION. I HEARD A SUDDEN NOISE, LIKE SOMETHING LARGE WAS ROLLING AROUND IN THE CARGO AREA AND BANGED AGAINST THE SIDE, BUT WE HAD NO CARGO. I STOPPED AND SURVEYED THE CAR TO FIND A PIECE OF REBAR ABOUT 2' LONG HANGING DOWN UNDER THE CAR, JUST IN FRONT OF THE RIGHT REAR TIRE. UPON CLOSER INSPECTION THE REBAR WAS STICKING OUT OF THE SIDE OF THE GAS TANK, LEAKING GAS. AFTER EVALUATING WHAT LOOKED TO BE A FREAK INCIDENT, ONLY 5 DAYS AFTER I BOUGHT THIS BRAND NEW CAR, IT BECAME APPARENT HOW POOR THE DESIGN WAS, SIMPLY FROM THE PLACEMENT OF THE GAS TANK, AND ITS EXPOSURE. I CONCLUDED THIS WASNT SUCH A FREAK INCIDENT, GIVEN THE OPEN TARGET THE GAS TANK IS TO ROAD DEBRIS. SOMEBODY'S GOING TO DIE SOMEDAY BECAUSE OF THE POOR DESIGN UNLESS THE MANUFACTURER FIXES THIS. IT'S SIMPLY A BAD DESIGN THAT COULD EASILY BE FIXED WITH A PIECE OF SHEET METAL TO COVER THE OPEN CAVITY UNDER THE CAR THAT MAKES THE FRONT SIDE OF THE GAS TANK A PERFECT TARGET FOR ROCKS, METAL, PARKING BERMS, ETC. I GUARANTEE THIS WILL NOT BE THE ONLY COMPLAINT ABOUT THE OPEN EXPOSURE TO THIS GAS TANK IN THE NISSAN MURANO. IM A PRETTY SAFE DRIVER, AND IVE NEVER HAD SUCH A THING HAPPEN. THE FACT IT HAPPENED ON THE 5TH DAY OF OWNERSHIP TELLS ME SOMETHING. ITS NOT JUST BAD LUCK, ITS BAD DESIGN FROM A SAFETY POINT OF VIEW.
:mad:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most vehicles today are the same way. Fact is a piece of rebar like that would have pierced a sheet metal tank as well. Also I would rather have the rebar pierce plastic (no sparks) than metal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Gas tank issue, as described, was the very first issue I listed to Nissan on their customer survey they sent after I bought the car. As expected I never heard another word from them, but then again it has only been two months...

Steve

·
4,664 Posts
I'm sure it went right to their legal department... I doubt they will respond or it will be a response thanking you for your communication and product feedback. Something that won't be twisted against them if a legal action was taken by someone.

I agree on the sheet metal vs. plastic and also that it's hard to make a car light and armoured as well... Tough call. It does disturb me to know it's behind a wheel, where debris can attack it.:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Indeed, given the design of the auto, there are not many places to put it. Many tanks are placed up in front of the rear axle, still vulnerable, but not hanging down quite as much for a target of road debris.

My immediate thought was not so much something bouncing up, but more in the event if you were forced over a high curb or stone wall (A lot of stone walls in New England) which would just rip it right apart.

Unfortunately, It will probaby take a few flaming wrecks (ala Pinto) to force the issue,

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for letting us know. I was not aware of the Gas tank issue and will have to be more careful. I had to go over a curb to park last week when there was no where else to go. I will definitely be more aware of how I am driving and road debris as well as where I park.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts