this might have caused.

Thank you,
R. Montanari
Computer Sciences Corporation
US Dept. of Transportation/Volpe National Transportation Systems Center
Cambridge, MA 02142-1493

--
Then i tested the page and indeed it HAS BEEN FIXED
So go ahead, proceed with filing those alternator complains people. Form is here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

THANK YOU FOR ALL your help in this matter. This forum is great!
:2:

-- ADDITON:
Another email from NHTSA SENIOR ENGINEER on 11/19/2004 2.30 pm:

I hope this message finds you well. I am the Program Manager responsible for
the Office of Defects Investigation website and the underlying database
management system. You are one of three individuals I am aware of who
contacted NHTSA about the lack of a Murano in the vehicle pick list. I
apologize for this error and have taken steps to make sure similar problems do
not occur again. We depend on individuals such as yourself to provide us with
the raw data we need to make critical decisions. Please continue to use our
website and feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional concerns
or comments now or in the future.

Frank S. Borris II
Senior Safety Defects Engineer
Artemis Program Manager
Office of Defects Investigation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
400 7th Street SW NVS-210 Rm 5326
Washington, DC 20590
(202) 366 8089
(202) 366 1767 fax

You can call him direct if in the future if murano was taken off from the list... :rolleyes:

---------------------------

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
SugarRushMurano said:
So go ahead, proceed with filing those alternator complains people. Form is here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
And please do not forget to file a complaint about the power steering loss. This is a major safety issue. What is worse, ALL of the 2003 and 2004 Muranos have this problem and as much as I hate to say it, it may cost someone's life one day.

Next time you get in your MO run this simple test and you will see for yourself.

Start the car but DO NOT DRIVE. Imagine as if a child has just jumped in front of your car and you know you will not be able to stop on time so you are trying to go around him. So grab the steering wheel and turn it really hard to the left (or to the right) about half a turn and immediately try to return it to where it was before so that your car is back on the road again. You will notice the following:

The steering wheel becomes stiff and very hard to turn near the end of the turn, and almost impossible to return to the original position without a lot of effort. Because this stiffness is unexpected, it makes it even worse. You have just expeienced sudden loss of power assist in your MO!

Now imagine you are driving in the street at 40 MPH and you have to do the above to miss hitting a car or a person. Guess what! When the power goes and the steering wheel stiffens all of a sudden, you will have a hard time getting back on the road in a streight line and chances are you will either move on to another lane and hit another car, or in the path of oncoming traffic.

You can also experience this while trying to make a quick U-turn. Try it in a safe area and you will see what I mean.

Once you are convinced, please file the complaint and hopefully Nissan will be forced to fix this defect before it is too late. Until then, please be aware of this problem and drive very carefully.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts