Nissan Murano Forum banner

NHTSA investigation (updated) and test Murano needed

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  zofsuvs 
#1 ·
Sorry for posting this so many times (in the other alternator threads) but I thought this is pretty important in order to speed up NHTSA's recall investigation.

Just got a call from NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation asking if they could lease my Murano for two weeks to test it with a defective alternator to see "how components fail." I thought about it, but in the end what they will pay me (the "lease rate for a 2003 Murano") will likely not cover a rental for 2 weeks, so I declined.

It is my hope, however that someone near NHTSA's Ohio testing facilities would volunteer their 2003 Murano to NHTSA for testing purposes. NHTSA is aware of our website and has read our posts.

If you would like to volunteer your Murano for alternator testing, please PM me and I'll put you in touch with my contact at NHTSA.

#2 ·
Well, if they need one in Florida, let me know.
I would be happy to be part of the solution.

Homer

#4 ·
I've just sent a message to my NHTSA contact and will let you know what I find out.

#5 ·
I'm in the SF Bay Area, happy to help out as well...

#6 ·
NHTSA already has a test Murano for this investigation. Thanks to all who graciously volunteered their time and vehicle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Eric,
Thank you for the help. We have already acquired sample Nissan Muranos from consumers to test at our research and testing facility (VRTC) http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/vrtcstar.htm . From there we will get data and meet with Nissan Representatives soon to discuss our findings. But I will update you and the other consumers I have contacted ASAP. Thank you for your time.

Ajit Alkondon
U.S. Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation

#10 ·
Even though I've been lucky so far (fingers crossed, knock on head) it's good to know there's a chance Nissan will have to 'fess up before mine pops...

Great work Eric, and even greater persistance!

#11 ·
No time to let up.
We still need to get the word out and encourage people to contact the NHTSA and stress any safety related issues of their particular failure.

Good followup Eric.

Homer

#12 ·
Hopefully NHTSA's test reveal what we already know here and Nissan owns up to the issue. Efforts like this is why I love this message board, a little work from everyone leads to big results (in this case, a recall *knock on wood*)

#13 ·
Eric L. said:
NHTSA already has a test Murano for this investigation. Thanks to all who graciously volunteered their time and vehicle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Eric,
Thank you for the help. We have already acquired sample Nissan Muranos from consumers to test at our research and testing facility (VRTC) http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/vrtcstar.htm . From there we will get data and meet with Nissan Representatives soon to discuss our findings. But I will update you and the other consumers I have contacted ASAP. Thank you for your time.

Ajit Alkondon
U.S. Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation
Good to hear, Eric. Thanks for following up and keeping up informed. Hopefully we'll have a determination from them soon!

#14 ·
#16 ·
I've been thinking about this for awhile.

I'm sure there isn't any truth to this - but it seems like the earlier Muranos are less likely to experience the failure. I'm not sure of our Born-On-Date - but we bought in January of '03 - no failure. Jaak was earlier than us - no failure. There are others that I remember who also haven't experienced it.

Dunno.

Maybe not.

#17 ·
How 'early' is early...one never know...

GMTURBO43 said:
I've been thinking about this for awhile.

I'm sure there isn't any truth to this - but it seems like the earlier Muranos are less likely to experience the failure. I'm not sure of our Born-On-Date - but we bought in January of '03 - no failure. Jaak was earlier than us - no failure. There are others that I remember who also haven't experienced it.

Dunno.

Maybe not.
Mine build date is March'03. No failure so far at milage of 27,000.
Perhaps it is not high milage enough to say?

#18 ·
Bought mine in Feb 2003 and the alt failed at 36500 miles. shappy0869 posted the applicable VIN#s in another post:

Originally posted by shappy0869
CAMPAIGN I.D. #: P5215
APPLIED VEHICLE: 2003-05 Murano (Z50) – 2WD and AWD Models
APPLIED VINS: 2003 MY - 2WD: JN8AZ08T*3W100007-123688
2003 MY - AWD: JN8AZ08W*3W200005-238520
2004 MY - 2WD: JN8AZ08T*4W200003-228686
2004 MY - AWD: JN8AZ08W*4W300006-343525
2005 MY - 2WD: JN8AZ08T*5W300104-302827
2005 MY - AWD: JN8AZ08W*5W400011-404496
This info is in the Alternator Recall sticky thread. Might be useful to keep the discussion there for a while so everyone is together. link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.