·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
842 Posts
CVT parts

I was at my dealer ( Stadium Nissan in NW Calgary) getting an oil filter and they had the two pulleys and the belt from a wreck CVT in the parts area for viewing. I was surprised at the small size, however the belt that transmits the power looks and feels incredible strong and heavy.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
That's great news! Makes me a lot less worried about a failure costing me a whole replacement.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Seems much easier to swallow than 5K for a replacement.

Great find.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So the same folks who disable the A/C when swapping out the alternator, can't seem to fix rattles, and can't stop seats from rocking are now going to TRY to rebuild a CVT????

Sorry. Couldn't ignore the irony.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Before you get all excited, that is one TSB that replaces an external part without even removing the transmission. I don't see any hint of disassembly or internal repair.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ekaxel said:
Before you get all excited, that is one TSB that replaces an external part without even removing the transmission. I don't see any hint of disassembly or internal repair.
Its not a full transmission repair. Its just the valve body, which is a part in the transmission. This is a common part in all automatics, so I'm guessing the average Nissan tech shouldn't have a problem performing this procedure. 2000-2001 Maximas had a similar valve body TSB as well which firmed up the shifts.

The fact that Nissan is even allowing the techs to open up the transmission (I would consider anything behind the tranmission pan to be an internal transmission part) is a good sign that in the future the cost of CVT repair will not be $6000. I doubt we'll be seeing CVT pulley assembly replacements anytime soon though.

·
Registered
781 Posts
And if the failures are VB related - this is a bonus also. I'm sure the VB costs less then the shipping on an entire transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts