Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, heading to the dealer to get my well needed CVT fluid drain and fill(I don't know if it was ever done in the previous ownership). I was quoted $284, does this seem about accurate for a drain and fill price?

Another question. I have plugged in my wireless OBD2 and used the CVTZ50 app. I was shown that my fluid deterioration was only at 64320. No where near the 210000 mark that nissan has said if you need a change. What does this number mean?

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
781 Posts
Hey everyone, heading to the dealer to get my well needed CVT fluid drain and fill(I don't know if it was ever done in the previous ownership). I was quoted $284, does this seem about accurate for a drain and fill price?

Another question. I have plugged in my wireless OBD2 and used the CVTZ50 app. I was shown that my fluid deterioration was only at 64320. No where near the 210000 mark that nissan has said if you need a change. What does this number mean?
I've always done this job myself so I can't really comment on the price they're charging you although I wouldn't be surprised if that's in the ballpark of reasonable for a dealership. Did they give you a breakdown of parts and labor?

The CVT deterioration value only goes up when the transmission fluid exceeds a certain temperature (i.e. it's running hot). I don't think it's really all that helpful, frankly. I don't recall anyone posting here that they've exceeded the 210k limit and there are many threads on transmission problems.

Regardless of what Nissan says, the CVT fluid should be changed periodically and if you drive the car hard or use it to pull a trailer etc. then change the fluid more frequently (...same goes for the transfer case if AWD).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always done this job myself so I can't really comment on the price they're charging you although I wouldn't be surprised if that's in the ballpark of reasonable for a dealership. Did they give you a breakdown of parts and labor?

The CVT deterioration value only goes up when the transmission fluid exceeds a certain temperature (i.e. it's running hot). I don't think it's really all that helpful, frankly. I don't recall anyone posting here that they've exceeded the 210k limit and there are many threads on transmission problems.

Regardless of what Nissan says, the CVT fluid should be changed periodically and if you drive the car hard or use it to pull a trailer etc. then change the fluid more frequently (...same goes for the transfer case if AWD).
Thanks for the input! Got back from the dealer and they did the typical 5 quart drain and refill. Tech said that my CVT looked fine, fluid was fine and not burnt. By any chance do you know the avg operating temperature of the CVT fluid? I used the cvtz50 app after driving for about 20 minutes and my fluid temp was around 172F (77.7C).

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
781 Posts
Thanks for the input! Got back from the dealer and they did the typical 5 quart drain and refill. Tech said that my CVT looked fine, fluid was fine and not burnt. By any chance do you know the avg operating temperature of the CVT fluid? I used the cvtz50 app after driving for about 20 minutes and my fluid temp was around 172F (77.7C).
I couldn't tell you what the "average" operating temperature is, but the service manual states to drive the car until the CVT fluid temperature reaches 122-176 F before checking the fluid level so presumably near the upper end of that range would be the normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
200 Posts
$284. For a drain and fill of 5 qts of CVT is robbery. After 10 plus years of the cvt transmission Nissan should approve a aftermarket brand as a equivalent so users wont be punished if they have a cvt problem. Just venting

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
781 Posts
$284. For a drain and fill of 5 qts of CVT is robbery. After 10 plus years of the cvt transmission Nissan should approve a aftermarket brand as a equivalent so users wont be punished if they have a cvt problem. Just venting
Nissan would never officially "approve" an alternative that isn't branded with their name, but there are plenty of aftermarket alternatives that meet the NS-2 specification (Valvoline, Castrol, Amsoil, Idemitsu--they supposedly make the OEM fluid). What do you mean that users would be "punished"?

·
Super Moderator
8,471 Posts
Manufacturers may accept specific oils as meeting their published technical requirements (BMW does this, as do most manufacturers) but that doesn't mean they "approve an aftermarket brand." That is directly contrary to their interests. They're only going to publicly approve and recommend their own branded products.

For warranty purposes, the smart thing to do it use the manufacturer's products.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts