Nissan Murano Forum banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The remainder of Nissan CVT Warranty Extensionpowertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles.The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended.

irst, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. , for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What exactly are some symptoms of a bad CVT?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Say...what was that sound?

I have a 2003 w/105k miles. I knew the catalytic converter was bad...got too hot, too long and cracked the manifold...but the actual sound I was hearing seemed like wheel bearings. $2700 w/ new manifold & CAT still have same sound. They say it sounds like wheel bearings but conclude it is the transmission. YES, the warrantee is 120K mile or 10 years. Thus, replaced at not cost to me...but needed transfer case seals (entire transfer case replaced 1 1/2 yrs ago) and exhaust brackets.

Don't get me wrong, I love my MO, but am saddened by the fact that most every time I take it in it is a thousand dollars here and a thousand dollars there. Thank heavens for the extended warrantee. Oh, but I still have the sound...could it really be the wheel bearings? Stay tuned...not to mention I need to replace the lower front control arms, the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs...:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plugs and rear valve cover gasket are normal maintenance at 105K miles.
Yes, I know. Thank you.

Just add the $1017 to the $2700 to the $194 (thank heavens I didn't pay the $4000 for the CVT) and it starts to add up all in a month. AND the upcoming lower front control arms at $783. Yup, yup.I'm all for "normal" wear and tear maintanence & repair. Love that synthetic oil-io. Don't get me started on all the non-normal repairs I've paid for out of pocket the past 2 1/2 years on my MO. Plan to write Nissan to share my cronology of repairs. I can't think of any other vehicle I'd want for a replacement, I love this car, but the cost of ownership has me pickled.

I was endeared to Nissan with my 1995 240SX built in Japan with over 140k miles and the only "non-normal" wear & tear item was a window washer motor.

My 2003 350Z bought (pre-order) in Oct 2002 has only had the normal maintenance (except for early tire wear feather cured by different tires & allignment and driver window motor) at 66,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Plugs and rear valve cover gasket are normal maintenance at 105K miles.
Actually, I believe it's the intake manifold gasket that requires replacement when the plugs are done. At 78K, I'm still 2-3 years away from needing them here.

At a little over 100K, it is unlikely (but I guess possible) that valve cover gaskets need to be changed.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Intake manifold gasket must be replaced because the manifold is removed to access the rear plugs. However, a lot of times the rear valve cover gasket leaks (and oil actually fills up the spark plug holes) so they replace the valve cover gasket at the same time while they are there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CVT Warranty in Canada

Thanks for the details everyone. However, I did cal my local Nissan Dealership (Victoria BC, Canada) and the girl at the service desk told me their was no warranty extensions on the CVT. Hmmm....

She checked my VIN and nothing should up for warranty extensions... ??

I live in Canada and own an American model "2007 Nissan Murano S"

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I live in Canada and own an American model "2007 Nissan Murano S"
Maybe that is it. I have heard factory warranties do not apply cross boarder. In other words, if you live in Canada and buy a car from US, Nissan will not warranty it. I could be wrong though. If true, maybe you can claim you were living in US when you bought the car and moved it over there as your personal property, or just go to a US dealer for warranty work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiederzehn, Goodbye

SilverGT...seems to be a Nissan trade when it comes to "noticing" or inspecting problems, if you don't know about it, they won't tell you about it.

ella138...get ready for the other stuff to FAIL!

Sorry, but I can't let my memories of my Murano go!!! (sorry guys)
Same here. I got my warranty extension notice a year after I dumped the lemon and said so long to this group. :28: (only came back to change email, then saw this thread and couldn't resist "i told you so" - original thread from two years ago had no reply button.)

The CVT was definitely one of the reasons I bailed and traded it cheap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Joel,

There's a couple of people who display their good luck and I am happy for them. Fortunately, as a life long auto enthusiast / part time mechanic/machinist, I recognized that the Murano is NOT a well engineered vehicle. All the things that your sold on at the dealer (AWD, durability, quality) are the things that fail. If you read some of my stories, they were issues I had never dealt with with any vehicle that I've ever owned in my lifetime (problems one after the other, especially the seals and things that shouldn't fail at such a low mileage and treatment). As a person who recognizes how dealerships operate, especially service departments, I cringed at the thought of taking my Murano back to the dealer for warranty work (I have family that are still in the business-Ford fortunately). Luckily for the first time ever, I purchased Nissan's gold warranty...it paid off in the end.

It's funny that this thread popped up again because I was just thinking about how mad I was during the blizzard of 2009 when both of my brake calipers seized right when it was snowing. (I am anal about the maintenance of my vehicles and everything right had been done-for the nay-sayers).

Anyhow, I am super happy with our Chevy Equinox...20K and not one issue.

I do wish everyone luck with their Murano...hope you don't post in this thread one day.

Later...

·
4,664 Posts
No problems with my Dodge transmissions, even with drag radials and 425 HP hitting it at a dead stop after 6 years.

It's a damn shame, 'cause the Murano is such a great vehicle to drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2006 Murano SL with 111,000 and the CVT, does anyone think I would be able to go into the dealership and ask them to replace the CVT? I would like to extend the life of this car definitely not on my dime.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
ERabbit, I noticed you did not say it failed. All you said is you want to replace it.
:confused:

Bob1

·
Registered
10 Posts
ERabbit, I noticed you did not say it failed. All you said is you want to replace it.
:confused:

Bob1
It hasn't completely failed (knock on wood) but every once in a while there is an issue when shifting into gear, I'm not sure if this would be related tot he CVT but I would assume so.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My experience with all dealers, unless you can go on a test drive and reproduce it and have them agree it is a CVT, well, my guess is no dice.
They won't cough up a 6K tranny without concrete proof.

Bob1

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would go to the dealer and tell them that the CVT is acting up as you stated. Let them tell you it is not. At a minimim, keep the paperwork (make sure it states that the CVT issue), that way it the CVT fails in 3 months time, you have the paperwork to prove that it was acting up prior. At least you will have a fighting chance with Nissan.

-biggun

·
Registered
19 Posts
FYI,

just had my MO to the dealer as there was a slight hesitation / chugging in the CVT between 25 and 60 KM / hr (only between hose speeds).... the mechanic took it for a drive across the parking lot to see if he could feel it... after 500 feet he walked into the service department and told them to order a new CVT and told me to come back Monday... he said it will take 2-3 days to get it installed.... it only has 92,000 kms and they say they are going to cover the entire cost of replacement.

i actually only took it in as i was there to pick up a friend how was having their rig serviced there at it was not that bad i thought

·
Registered
20 Posts
It appears this extended coverage applies to 2003-2010 CVT equipped Nissan's, what about 2011 models? I don't have my warrenty booklet handy and can't remember what the initial warrenty is on my 2011 Mo, but does the same warrenty terms apply to new 2011 Nissan's with CVT's?

141 - 160 of 193 Posts
About this Discussion
192 Replies
84 Participants
jameswdj96
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing