Nissan Murano Forum banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
My CVT stopped working just today in my 2005 with 101K .... sheesh just in time. Dropped at the dealer after hours and I really hope they don't "Try" and rake me over the coals.

**UPdate**
Just got notified they will conver the transmission in full but three of the motor mounts are also in need of repair and they are not cheap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone knows if the infamous CVT/axle seal leak will be covered by this warranty extension? I recently spotted a small leak on the driver side. Thanks to this forum I've been keeping an eye on it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Firstsv: You're kidding right? Surely you jest. A new 2011 has a TOTAL bumper to bumper warranty that's better than any other warranty on the market. The only thing they won't fix or replace is if you total your car, drive it off a cliff, or have it stolen.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
354 Posts
That doesn't seem to make sense...why would they eliminate the newest addition to the Murano line from the extended CVT warranty? It would seem to make more sense to buy a previously owned 2010 with low miles on it and capitalize on an extended CVT warranty and save some money in the process. There's really not that much difference between the 2010 and the 2011 except for some external window dressing ..very little noticeable to me. That seems like a faulty and illogical sales tactic to me and something sure to raise the ire of new car buyers.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
FYI -- Driver/Passenger Axle Seal Covered Under Extended Warranty!!!

Yes...you read it correctly...the driver and passenger CVT axle seal are indeed covered by the CVT Extended Warranty!

There have been a lot of back and forth on this one. My driver side seal started leaking about 6000k ago. Got the seal to fix it myself but never had the time. Started asking Reliable Nissan in Albuquerque to fix it and they said it was not covered. Even got Nissan Consumer Affairs involved, they were leaving it up to the dealership because they didn't know.

Then I called up Melloy Nissan in Albuquerque as well and they did not hesitate to swap it out. Their logic is that if it's part of the CVT, you swap it out...easy! The question I asked and Melloy confirmed, is that if a brand spanking new CVT was ordered, would the axle seals come with it. The answer is...YES! Therefore, everything affiliated with the CVT is covered under the warranty! Melloy had to fight this battle when they did research on what is covered. It's actually quite simple. The service writer even showed me the CVT breakdown schematic and the seals were there!

So...from this day forward, don't let the dealerships make you pay for fixing the CVT axle seals. It is indeed covered!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I guess it all depends on the dealership since even Nissan Consumer Affairs won't have a definite answer. Thanks for the headsup though as I have a seal leaking yet again.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Warhammer,

That is very good news for you and anyone who can find a dealer that will readily admit to this. Unfortunately, I have tried convincing all the 4 dealers here in Vegas for the last 2 years and they all say its not part of it. (Considering the axle seal is the only part holding the cvt fluid inside on that end.) Talked to several people from the cvt warranty extension hot line and they were not sure if its is covered or not. Its really weird how they cannot clearly distinguish which part is covered or not. And like you said, they leave it up to the dealers.

So, when I replaced both my lower control arm last month, I decided to replace the left axle seal as well. At first I thought I installed it wrong because I found a small leak the first few days. But after I wiped dry the entire area several times since the replacement, I am now sure that its dry and there is no leak.:) I think it was just the combination of the newly installed seal seating on the axle and the slow leak that has sprayed over the area for the past 2 years.:29:

I am glad that I did it myself. Its a cinch next time it leaks out or when the cv boot/axle needs replacing. Plus I don't have the worry of them dealers messing up some other thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Waranty question

If a Murano has say 115,000 miles on it, has never had the CVT fluid replaced, does this void the extended waranty?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
If a Murano has say 115,000 miles on it, has never had the CVT fluid replaced, does this void the extended waranty?
No. The Nissan Service Manual does not call out a replacement interval for the CVT fluid under normal driving conditions.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 05 MO, 115k miles.
Just replaced the front axles both sides $95 per side for parts and $100 labor.
The axles were new, not rebuilds. Found a big tear in the CV boot right by the oil filter. I believe when the oil was last changed the filter wrench cracked the cv boot and caused all of the lube to leak out. Something to watch out for.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
While changing the oil, I just checked my 2007 Murano with 61K miles and the driver's side axle is wet with an obvious slow seal leak. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow and hoping to convince them of coverage.

This is something that I could do myself, but it would be a pain.

To me, there are two major drawbacks of transverse FWD systems:

1) They always make the car nose-heavy so it understeers;

2) They are a huge pain to work on because there's no room for anything.

·
Registered
60 Posts
09/27 replaced CVT under warranty (99,XXX miles and had never been serviced).
10/12 returned because of leaking transaxle seal. Covered under warranty.
10/27 returned because of another fluid leak. Dealer says transfer case seal. Covered under warranty.
Also had fluids changed on both differentials. Dealer said we'll give u a discount because you've had to come back twice... $110.00 for both (was $110.00 each-ouch!).
I have to return next Tuesday when transfer case seal arrives.
Asked for package deal at that time on changing the plugs and belts while engine is dropped for TC seal.
I had just paid $78.00 for TC fluid to be changed when CVT was replaced.
Oh well. Small price to pay for a new CVT.
I have to say the dealer has been exceptional.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Keep the warranty it only covers the CVT NOT the Transfer case, That part is like 3500 to 4500. Just the CVT is 10 year or 120000. I had a 05 with 105000 and ran great but I just got a 11 NEW it is so nice, So far, In merlot with black inside. I wanted the tan but none left till 12s come out. and the price was great so I went for it. only has 40 miles on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
dixie nissan swapped out my transfer case 250 km before the 100k warranty ran out because it started clicking and then a few days later the cvt transmission was leaking they swapped out out also. all with just 99956 on the clock lol. but we found out that it was 10 years 200k

·
Registered
43 Posts
I actually just had my CVT replaced by Stevens Creek Nissan. I had previously taken in to 3 times over the past 10k miles or so and it would throw a code but this time they just called and said 'congratulations, you get a new tranny.' The primary symptom for me was bogging, especially on acceleration.

I have just over 101k on my car and it still runs quite strong. I had a worn front motor mount which they swapped for just the cost of the part (~$170). All in all it was just over $200 including an oil change. Great for piece of mind and eventual resale value.

They didn't give me a copy of the bill but the new CVT was well over $3k - felt great to not have to pay them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CVT extended warranty

Hey Big John

I'm replying specifically to you because it sounds like both of us had/have the same problem.

About 3 months ago there was a loud noise from front of car (hard to describe but at the end even the radio turned up LOUD couldn't drown it out), I had both right/left front CV Joints and wheel bearings replaced. Still have a noise. Took car back to mechanic he said that the noise might be from the differential AND oh, by the way, I have a right axle shaft seal leak.

not mechanically inclined at the very least - are the two items above (differential and axle shaft seal leaks) the same things you had repaired under coverage as noted below?:confused:

09/27 replaced CVT under warranty (99,XXX miles and had never been serviced).
10/12 returned because of leaking transaxle seal. Covered under warranty.
10/27 returned because of another fluid leak. Dealer says transfer case seal. Covered under warranty.
Also had fluids changed on both differentials. Dealer said we'll give u a discount because you've had to come back twice... $110.00 for both (was $110.00 each-ouch!).
I have to return next Tuesday when transfer case seal arrives.
Asked for package deal at that time on changing the plugs and belts while engine is dropped for TC seal.
I had just paid $78.00 for TC fluid to be changed when CVT was replaced.
Oh well. Small price to pay for a new CVT.
I have to say the dealer has been exceptional.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Last year the dealer replaced my driver side axle seal under the CVT wty extension (105k miles at that time). Was going through my service records because we've finally decided to sell the MO and jump on the minivan bandwagon.

Guess what I found? A repair order for $414 from 2008 (71k miles) for driver side axle seal! Since it was already replaced under warranty, I figured it should reimburseable but was discouraged from Nissan website that said, "This Consumer Reimbursement Program ended on 07/31/2010."

Call Nissan anyway and a very pleasant lady took my info and said I should be covered for reimbursement. I'll find out for sure in a day or two <fingers crossed>

If this works, talk about finding a little pot of gold in filing cabinet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forgive me if this is a dumb question but how would I know if my CVT transmission is failing? I've noticed a "bogging" sound around 1500 rpm's (as I accelerate).

161 - 180 of 193 Posts
About this Discussion
192 Replies
84 Participants
jameswdj96
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing