Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there experiencing the same wind whistle as me with the "factory" cross rails? Any suggestions for eliminating, or reducing the whistle?

I only put them on for road trips when I'm using the cargo carrier. I've put them on now in anticipation of the Xmas trip -- better than trying to set them up when it's -10 or something. But this damn whistle is starting to drive me :crazyeye: :ucrazy:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Can't speak to the factory rails but my Yakima Rails whistled something fierce, particularly when they were up there by themselves (no box).

I removed the end caps and filled the hollow bars up with the spray insulating foam (can't recall the name, but it's available everywhere) that is designed for homeowners.

This made a significant reduction in the whistling noise from the bars themselves and didn't add any weight to speak of.

I wasn't aware the factory cross bars were available yet?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Try moving them back.
American cars that I have known, like my Chrysler Town and Country and my bud's Pontiac Montana, both showed where to put the crossbars when empty fo the least amount of wind noise.

I Love my Mo.
I think the company Nissan is a bunch of amatuers.
All engineering. No support.

On the Mo I would try putting the forward bar behind the B pillar about halfway back on the rear door and the rear crossbar back as far as it would go to sorta emulate what Chrysler reco'd on the t&C.

If this doesn't work, then I would reco moving the bars around experimentally. Especially the front one.

Homer

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have been waiting for last 4 months for NIssan x-bars ???

Where did you get these ???

Still in wind Tunnel ???

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'd be interested in this as well. Are the Nissan bars compatible with bike trays from Yakima or Thule or are they proprietary?

·
4,664 Posts
Re: Where did you get the cross-bars?

Chancie23 said:
Canuk

Where did you get the cross bars? The crossbar for the Murano has not been released yet (the engineer on the project is right here with me) or are you talking about the side rails? I know for a fact that the round bars from some of the after market makers are incredibly noisy, I had to help test them. The Nissan cross bar is still going through it's wind noise testing and the only set is currently mounted to our test Murano.
In Canada, even back in January, crossbars were being sold at Nissan dealers as OEM, but were not the versions pictured from Nissan. They rested on top of the original rails with a claw that tightened up underneath to secure them in place. My Murano had a set on it in the showroom, which they removed when I arrived to take delivery.

I'm also curious, do you wind test them by placing them in front of the marketing department? (Sorry, had to ask...):rolleyes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
LOL

do you wind test them by placing them in front of the marketing department? (Sorry, had to ask...)
Sorry the air speed vastly exceeds the test specifications ...... these specs are close to hyperplane testing parameters of NASA

·
Registered
66 Posts
Marketing

In most of the companies I have worked for the Marketing Department worked directly against the Sales Department. And customer relations just plays dumb.

·
4,664 Posts
Funny, I would have thought that Japan would have done it.... That explains why it's not finished I guess....:confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's see ... where to start ....

I've had my "OEM" cross bars since Feb (or maybe March). I couldn't understand all the US-based MO owners saying their dealers were quoting "unavailable." Now I know -- different strokes for different folks, so to speak. I guess the cross bars are like the doughnut vs. full-size spare issue between Can & US MOs. I, for one, can't understand for the life of me why NissanUSA "chose" to go with the doughnut + tray when a full size spare was available.

Jaak's right. They may have been sold as "OEM" bars but they're about as "integrated" as a square peg is to a round hole. The clamping system is not the most attractive or technologically advanced design I'd ever seen, but it'll do. I only install the bars to use my cargo box, and I only use the box when I absolutely have to (ie. Xmas road trips 7 hours north to Sudbury -- what fun).

I've moved them back, albeit marginally, and the whistle has diminished to the point where I can't hear it if both the sunroof and inner sunroof cover are closed. The rear bar sits just behind the rear vertical support for the roof rail. The front bar sits 27" (on centre) ahead of the rear bar. I wanted to place the cargo box as far to the rear as I could yet still be able to fully open the rear hatch. This, and the mounting options for the box, dictated the rear bar location. From that, I had no other choice but to go 27" forward for the front bar. For info, the bars actually have little pictures indicating the recommended locations. The rear bar is as recommended, but the front bar is a little off.

I think the bars sold in Canada were made through Yakima, but I can't be certain. Sure, they have the Nissan logo, but let's not kid ourselves, especially given the comments from Chancie23.

On that note: Chancie23, it sounds like you're either "an insider" or have access to "insider" info. So what's the deal? Any bones you can throw our way with respect to upcoming accessories and the like? Also, any idea (from anyone) why Nissan is approaching the accessories like this? That is, why issue two different versions of the same thing (ie. cross bars) at two different times in two different countries (Can & US) so close to each other geographically? Sure, I understand the whole marketing thing but if Nissan plans on introducing more integrated cross bars (for example), why sell something inferior in the interim, other than for a cash grab? Just curious.

·
4,664 Posts
NNA needs to get their stuff together and get it out the door, as most people sense that this is just more off the same shovel that was used earlier when enquiries about other "Not Available" accessories were made.

Less Bark, more Bite please....:(

·
Registered
66 Posts
SAT

As for the satellite radio thing, their is only one engineer responsible for getting satellite radios into all Nissan models, he's a little over worked. However, soon, the satellite radio program is moving from the accessory group to being a vehicle level project with much more man power. He is doing the dance of joy over this one.

With all due respect Chancie23 it was JAAK and Grubbs that fixed the SAT issue. If there is only one guy in charge of SAT for Nissan what was he/she doing for three years? Which models was he/she responsible for? Seems to me that the same Carion unit is used in all models equipt with Bose. Or a variation of it.
Doesnt XM and Sirrus pay Nissan marketing money to push SAT radio? If they don't Nissan is missing the boat.
Seems like Ford and GM have a big advantage over Nissan in offering neat stuff like SAT radio and On-star and Laptop holders etc. Yes, they probably have more resources and 100 time the man power but last time I checked Nissan was going right after Fords throat at the F-150.
I'm not hear to bash Nissan or you Chancie but you have identified yourself as a Nissan employee which I think REALLY benefit's this forum. You are a great resource to everyone here. I'm just curious to find out the real answers.

As far as the crossbar issue, are parts and accessories extremely profitable for a car company? Last time I checked if you built a new Murano from scratch through the Nissan parts department it would cost around $210,000. Nissan has a great following and lots of people willing to shell out the extra dollars to make their model look different. Honda figured that out and so did Subaru. Does the Xterra use the Yakima cross bars and windjammer? Wouldn't they be chomping at the bit to manufacture more parts for Nissan?

I appreciate your honest responses Chancie23 if indeed you work for Nissan.

:)

·
Registered
66 Posts

Very good! I respect your honesty and explanations. I think we can give you good idea's to test on the Murano. I would love a job where I get to test run Nissan's in all parts of the country. Feel free to ask us questions. I guess in most cases we are just so excited by the Murano that we want things faster than they come out. From the first day I purchased my M-O I have been looking for accessories for it. But there just wasn't any. Now there are more and more coming out each day. Maybe you could shed some light on some of the other idea or things you are testing for the Murano or other Models.
Wouldn't it be nice to have floor mats that say Murano?
-I have some that say Maxima.
Offer the NAV system for $1700.00 NOT $6500 for M-O's not equipt with them right now.
-Looking around the lots here in Chicago area I bet 20% at the MOST are equipt with NAV.

Thanks

·
4,664 Posts
With all due respect, it sounds like you guys are clued when it comes to SAT. Since when do you test things that are already proven and designed in to the vehicle?

Doing coverage tests in different vehicles by driving around in Maine is one the dumbest things I've ever heard of, and definately the wrong way to test a SAT receiver system.

You're in some serious need of professional help.

I appreciate you're trying to help and it's nothing personal. However, I make my living in the wireless Test and Measurement industry and one of my associates could really help you understand what you should be doing and how to speed the process up, as what you're telling us indicates you have no idea as to the correct way to do this.

I suggest you have your associate PM me with contact information and I can get someone in your area to help you.:eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Chancie23

Thanks for all of the info.

I know this is a total longshot, but I am with ----------j---- on the issue of the NAV. Without doing a special order, the dealer was not able to find a vehicle in my requested color/configuration and with NAV, even when he searched 45 days out. So, I am not able to get my MO with the NAV.

If NNA could ever see their way to offering this as a dealer add-on at some point, I think there would be alot of interest. The subject certainly comes up alot in this forum and over at FA. I do understand that it isn't a simple thing to make happen, but I gotta try! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nav Available?

I can be a tester of the new NAV dealer add on option here in IL and I'll drive to the dirt a gravel roads of Nebraska to test to see if it works.
I'll wear a football helmet in case the Airbags go off. I think I should be the person that tests this because I get lost very easily. Ive spent hours in a paper bag before.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am little confused about the SAT on the 04. If you said it wasn't signed off on until 9-5-03 why does my 2004 Murano that was built in MID-August have the prewiring in it already? I bought the XM tuner from the dealer and installed it in no time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chancie23 said:
Probably a carryover from a change that was made to later 03 Muranos. There is probably very little difference between a lat MY03 Murano and and early MY04.
Chancie23

Have you heard anything about Nissan (Corporate, USA, whatever) in some way "honoring" the SAT radio deficiency in earlier 03's? That is, free install of the current "package?" I know this is more warranty-related than accessories-related but I figured you might have some dirt.

Thanx

·
Registered
31 Posts
One more NAV question for Chancie23

Ok, wow, that was a more positive response than I expected, but I understand it is still a long shot. When you said "keep asking", do you have a specific contact(s) that we could send the request to, or are you referring to the contact on the www.nissanusa.com site?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts