Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Damn.. that looks nice.. way nicer then the hidden hitch one I got from the dealer here..

the cross bar is a lot more "hidden" and the connectors are down on the bumber (not in the trunk, with a cable that hangs out..)..

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I would love to get a Nissan hitch for my Murano. I understand the hitch itself can be installed without too much effort. However, for the wiring, how do you get from the inside of the car to the outside? Does a hole need to be drilled in the body, or is there already a grommet for easy access?

-Eric L.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is a gromit below the passenger side storage bin that is replaced with the factory wiring harness.. It drops the harness just above and to the front of the angle bracket that helps secure the drivers side of the factory hitch. I'm sure if you're not using the factory harness that you could poke a hole in the gromit, slip the wires through, and seal the gromit with something like clear silocon and you'd be much happier than the through-the-hatch method..

I Did mine on Friday.. It took me about 3-3.5 hours by myself, and the only tricky part was finding something to brace one side of the hitch up while I threaded the bolt for the other side (I think I used a 5 gallon paint bucket..)
I highly recommend an air ratchet.. saved me a bunch of time, and a bunch of strain.. :)

Good Luck!

-tkris

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
TKRIS:

Jacking up the hitch.. is that not what the jack for the car was meant for??? :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got my Nissan hitch installed yesterday by the dealer! Dealer quoted $65 over the phone the other day and I knew there was no chance of that. Co-worker bet me they wouldn't end up charging less than $250. I suspect it would have taken 3 - 6 hours for me to do it myself - measuring liftgate clearance, removing rear panels, busting plastic clips, etc. Picked it up last night and the bill was exactly $65! I was thrilled and it looks great. Well hidden on my black MO!

Bike rack comes in tomorrow and then it's off to the mountain bike trails! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
darrylburke said:
TKRIS:

Jacking up the hitch.. is that not what the jack for the car was meant for??? :)
Ya know, that very well might have worked.. very well.. :p
I thought a couple of times about using my floor jack, but the jack that came with the car that was sitting on the floor in my way never even crossed my mind! It wouldn't have gotten in the way like the big floor jack would have..

jsturg: 65$? Good deal! I would have paid that without a second thought.. Ah well.. it was still fun to install.. :)

-tkris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hitch

$65.00 What a deal!!!!
My dealer invoice stated 300.00 for the install plus the hireness and reinforcement. I payed 94.00 for the install and received the harness and bumper reinforcement at N/C secondary to them not ordering the parts all together (see earlier post).:2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you guys post the name and number of the Nissan dealership where you got your hitch installed? My dealer told me Nissan is making the hitch yet, and that they where not going to make it at all.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts