Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know much about this system, does it work on standard RFID technology, or has Nissan made their own changes to it?

Anyone know what the procedure is to marry the Murano to a new key fob?

Has anyone tried to get their murano to recognise any other RFID device?

·
4,664 Posts
RFID is a generic term for all kinds of different modulation formats and devices. All it really indicates is some sort of RF stimulous-response, with the passing of information. The TPMS in the Murano is RFID with tire pressure information being delivered.

The technology would be OEM'd from a partner of Nissans that would design based on security requirements, component cost, and desired modulation format. This could mean leverage from existing products or a new design.

Security and cost normally oppose each other. For example, Nissan uses ASK (Amplitude Shift Keying) on the previous generation key fobs. This is pretty easy to capture and decode, and would also be fairly easy to reproduce. However, the reality of someone actually doing it and being close enough to capture your signal, is extremely low.

Honda uses PSK (Phase Shift Keying) so the signal is a little tougher to decode.

When doing the new key fob, Nissan may have chosen to just add to the existing key fob design, by adding a simple reciever. Press the button on the Murano, it transmits, the key fob "hears" it, and sends the regular signal as always.

The cost would be very low to implement and add to the existing design.

However, if there is already parts they can buy that are cheap to do this with, they may have changed the whole system.

A quick way to answer this, is with a simple question. Do the older remotes also work on the system?

Probably more information than you wanted to know!

So to answer the question of other device recognition, it might happen if another manufacturer uses the same technology, but it's highly unlikely.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice Job jaak

jaak said:
RFID is a generic term for all kinds of different modulation formats and devices. All it really indicates is some sort of RF stimulous-response, with the passing of information. The TPMS in the Murano is RFID with tire pressure information being delivered.

The technology would be OEM'd from a partner of Nissans that would design based on security requirements, component cost, and desired modulation format. This could mean leverage from existing products or a new design.

Security and cost normally oppose each other. For example, Nissan uses ASK (Amplitude Shift Keying) on the previous generation key fobs. This is pretty easy to capture and decode, and would also be fairly easy to reproduce. However, the reality of someone actually doing it and being close enough to capture your signal, is extremely low.

Honda uses PSK (Phase Shift Keying) so the signal is a little tougher to decode.

When doing the new key fob, Nissan may have chosen to just add to the existing key fob design, by adding a simple reciever. Press the button on the Murano, it transmits, the key fob "hears" it, and sends the regular signal as always.

However, if there is already parts they can buy that are cheap to do this with, they may have changed the whole system.

A quick way to answer this, is with a simple question. Do the older remotes also work on the system?

So to answer the question of other device recognition, it might happen if another manufacturer uses the same technology, but it's highly unlikely.
My head hurts but I think I understand it. :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
jaak said:

English please !! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very impressive Jaak! Not that I know what your talking about but it sounds great. It give me a warm fuzzy to know you live in TO.

·
4,664 Posts
TheGymKid said:

English please !! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
If I could explain it in English, they'd have to pay me less...

I can, but it takes longer and I have to go get my daughter!:) (We have a fun game... What's the coolest looking vehicle in the whole parking lot? She then points at Dad's Murano...)

J

·
0 Posts
jaak said:

If I could explain it in English, they'd have to pay me less...

I can, but it takes longer and I have to go get my daughter!:) (We have a fun game... What's the coolest looking vehicle in the whole parking lot? She then points at Dad's Murano...)
:D Definitely :)

But just to say... the Intelligent Key System is off the chain!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts