Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry for not knowing much about cars. Please bear with me.

So the car was giving us issues. First we got a Brake Light on and off and eventually the Service Engine Light came on. In the last drive, drove the car for 10 minutes and the RPMs were going up and down between 1-3 and the car would not move. I also noticed that it was having a hard time going over 40 miles per hour. So we took it to the shop/dealer and this is what we got back.

• DRIVE BELT WORN
  • VALVE COVER GASKETS LEAKING
  • PCV HOSE LEAKING
  • OIL PAN AND OIL COOLER SEAL LEAKING
  • RIGHT SIDE INNER AXLE BOOT LEAKING
  • VACUUM LINES AND VIAS VALVE LEAKING
  • CAM SENSOR BANK 21 LEAKING
  • LEFT FRONT ABS SENSOR DEFECTIVE
  • RATS LIVING INSIDE VEHICLE
  • FRONT CATALYTIC CONVERTER IN THE FRONT NEEDS REPLACEMENT AS WELL
All this to be $5k. So we live in the NYC so rats unfortunately did get in and may have chewed wiring which is messing up the car. I wanted to get insights on what would be the top priority items to get resolved. I assumed it would be something related to the brake fluid and wiring and brake pads and CVT and it was none of that but the quote came high. I want to fix the essential. Do you recommend us to get the codes for instance?

Thanks for your guidance.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Except for the cam sensor (maybe defective) and rats eating on the wiring none of the laundry list fixes your issue. I would go to autozone and get the actual codes read from your CEL. Weird that the nissan dealer (if that is the place you went to)did not tell what those are? They probably generating money for those repair first before giving you the real bad news.

You either have a cvt related issue or clogged CAT converter by the sound of it. If you don't find any eaten wiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am hoping to be able to get the codes from the Nissan dealer. They are going to provide an essential list tomorrow. I just feel like a noob and my initial response is that it is not fixing the main issue.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Maybe changing the bad abs sensor may fix some of it. But its sounds like cvt is not engaging at times.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for not knowing much about cars. Please bear with me.

So the car was giving us issues. First we got a Brake Light on and off and eventually the Service Engine Light came on. In the last drive, drove the car for 10 minutes and the RPMs were going up and down between 1-3 and the car would not move. I also noticed that it was having a hard time going over 40 miles per hour. So we took it to the shop/dealer and this is what we got back.

• DRIVE BELT WORN
  • VALVE COVER GASKETS LEAKING
  • PCV HOSE LEAKING
  • OIL PAN AND OIL COOLER SEAL LEAKING
  • RIGHT SIDE INNER AXLE BOOT LEAKING
  • VACUUM LINES AND VIAS VALVE LEAKING
  • CAM SENSOR BANK 21 LEAKING
  • LEFT FRONT ABS SENSOR DEFECTIVE
  • RATS LIVING INSIDE VEHICLE
  • FRONT CATALYTIC CONVERTER IN THE FRONT NEEDS REPLACEMENT AS WELL
All this to be $5k. So we live in the NYC so rats unfortunately did get in and may have chewed wiring which is messing up the car. I wanted to get insights on what would be the top priority items to get resolved. I assumed it would be something related to the brake fluid and wiring and brake pads and CVT and it was none of that but the quote came high. I want to fix the essential. Do you recommend us to get the codes for instance?

Thanks for your guidance.
You live in NY so you are subject to emissions and safety inspections required annually in order to register your car. You should prioritize those items that will cause you to fail an inspection. Namely, anything that will cause the MIL to light up (typically emissions-related) and ABS/SRS or safety issues. From what you listed, the catalytic converter (NY follows CA laws so it will need to be CARB-compliant--i.e. expensive OEM), ABS sensor, axle boot, cam sensor (if it is defective and not just leaking oil from the o-ring). The many vacuum leaks should also be fixed since these are likely contributing to the weird behavior of your car. If the serpentine belts are really worn then they should be replaced since if one breaks you could be stuck wherever that happens. The oil leaks are the lowest priority unless they're really bad. Dealership would have scanned all the modules with Consult-III so if CVT was acting up to the point of driveability issues then they would likely have found something, but apparently did not or they would have said something.

When you get the list of codes from them, I highly suggest that you take all that information and your car to a reputable independent shop and get a second opinion given the extent of the repairs.

Finally, the damage caused by the rats is the wild card here since there's no telling what they've gotten in to. And, if rats are actually living in your car then that means you park for extended periods of time. If this is the case, and given that you live in the City with an excellent public transportation system, you should really think about getting rid of it. NYC intentionally makes it expensive to own/park a car there so unless you have some compelling reason to keep it beyond pure convenience then sell the car, use public transportation, and rent a car when you really need one. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts